Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hackcomic.com

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
I am using a 1.8 single g5 and trying to use the audio feature in ichat 2.1. I can hear the other person- but they can't hear me. Does the G5 have a built in mic? I cant seem to find the analog mic in on the back of the g5 like my g4 has. So the question becomes- if it doesn't have a built in, how do I plug in a mic with a basic mini plug? And if it does have a built in, how do I get it to work?

Thanks

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
it does have an input jack

There is an analog audio in, just below the analog audio out on the back of the Mac. Just above the USB. Any mic that uses the normal jack and you are good to go, cost only 5 bucks for a cheap mic at any computer store. And no the powermacs don't have built in mics, only the lap tops have built in mics.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
varmit said:
There is an analog audio in, just below the analog audio out on the back of the Mac. Just above the USB. Any mic that uses the normal jack and you are good to go, cost only 5 bucks for a cheap mic at any computer store. And no the powermacs don't have built in mics, only the lap tops have built in mics.
You forgot about the LCD iMacs (like the one I own) - those have a built-in microphone too. I've never used the audio chat feature of iChat since I only have one buddy (another Mac Rumors member) and I don't know how to use it.

Hackcomic.com

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
For some reason- the hole below the audio out hole isnt the same size- the mic that came with my G4 will not fit into it. It goes in and then stops- like its too long of a plug.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
wrldwzrd89 said:
You forgot about the LCD iMacs (like the one I own) - those have a built-in microphone too. I've never used the audio chat feature of iChat since I only have one buddy (another Mac Rumors member) and I don't know how to use it.

Ok, so anything with an LCD built in then.

As far as I know, look on the specs page for the G5, it says audio in, which looks to be the standard jack used on head sets and what not. You might just need to give it a shove in or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.