PDA

View Full Version : iBook g4 14" needs replacement hard drive

tpg12
Mar 8, 2009, 10:39 AM
hello... after 4 years my ibook g4 14" has a problem. my hard drive needs to be replaced. i took it to the genius bar yesterday and they gave me a referal to a store in my area that is certified to work on macs... but they don't sell hard drives in-house since they just started up a few weeks ago.

does anyone have a suggestion for a decent replacement internal hard drive? i'm not looking for anything high-end. i just need a cheap, reliable drive to get me through about another year when i can get a new mac.

if this matters much... i do use my ibook for a small amount of video editing, graphic design, etc... but only when work has to come home w/ me.

*the guys at the repair place did suggest a few... but they were all in the $250-$350 range... i was hoping to keep it around $150 or lower since i've been doing fine w/ my 40gb for 4 years now and i have 2 externals that total 1.75 tb. they said i could find some for that price elsewhere... but they only ordered from one place when they needed to... and none were available (in my $ range) there*

Reflow
Mar 8, 2009, 10:48 AM
I would suggest eBay. You can get cheap IDE drives for your machine. Also iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/iBook-G4-14-Inch-933-MHz-1-33-GHz-Hard-Drive/188/1) can give you great instructions on how to replace it yourself if you feel comfortable doing it.

tpg12
Mar 8, 2009, 11:00 AM
thanks for the help... i'll definately try ebay. do you have any spec suggestions? i just want to make sure i get one that will fit/perform correctly w/ my computer.

on a side note... i saw the ifixit video last night... but i don't think i'm going to try it. the repair place is only charging me $50 for the job... and that's worth me not destroying my ibook... i'm pretty good when it comes to software issues... hardware work kinda scares the crap out of me:eek: