Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
So my Air fell out of my locker at school the other day and smacked into the ground very hard than did a flip and smacked into the other side, it was in a sleeve but it did not do much. i went to class opened it up and found what u can see in the attached photos.

Is there anything i can do, i have apple care plus its not eve a year old, so was wondering if i should give the genius bar a go?

http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/Fonzijr964/?action=view&current=DSC00675.jpg
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/Fonzijr964/?action=view&current=DSC00678.jpg
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/Fonzijr964/?action=view&current=DSC00681.jpg
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/Fonzijr964/?action=view&current=DSC00684.jpg
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/Fonzijr964/?action=view&current=DSC00680.jpg

d94

macrumors member
May 5, 2006
So my Air fell out of my locker at school the other day and smacked into the ground very hard than did a flip and smacked into the other side, it was in a sleeve but it did not do much. i went to class opened it up and found what u can see in the attached photos.

Is there anything i can do, i have apple care plus its not eve a year old, so was wondering if i should give the genius bar a go?

the genius bar can fix it but your probably looking at $900 or so

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
ouch~...
I feel the pain...

but sadly, APP does not cover accidental damages, or aesthetics

so, prbly a no...
there's prbly nth you can do abt it.:(

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
ouch~...
I feel the pain...

but sadly, APP does not cover accidental damages, or aesthetics

yeah i know

will my apple care be no good for anything now that i dropped it?

I was gonna iFixit but they dont have the screen

should i get a quote from apple anyway?

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Maybe you can find a dead MBA on eBay and swap out the shell.

ifixit.com has the lower case for $150, the keyboard cover for $180 and the upper display for $700.

I'm not advocating paying all that but if they can pick and pull parts maybe you can too.

I looked quickly on eBay just now and didn't come up with a dead one but there has to be one from time to time.

BTW, Rev A or Rev B?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
will my apple care be no good for anything now that i dropped it?

Pretty much. Unless it develops a fault that can be in no way attributed to you dropping it. Which to be fair, is somewhat unlikely.

You might as well get a quote off Apple, if you're going to go down the road of fixing it.

still in school

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2009
i wouldnt, they're going to put a note saying it has been dropped and probably void warranty future down the line

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Damn.

Is your locker like 10 feet high? That is some considerable damage.

Best of luck.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Damn.

Is your locker like 10 feet high? That is some considerable damage.

Best of luck.

They're denty machines - that's what happens when you make machines out of soft metal. Certainly the only ultraportables I've had to bend back into shape occasionally. Price of style over substance and all that. Bad luck OP, better luck next machine.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I highly recommend you completely take apart the whole thing. Use iFixIt for the photo information. And, make sure you take many photos and track every screw and part removed. Then, replace all of the aluminum parts. Like $150 for cover. $200 for top case. Will cost you less than $400 with all new aluminum parts. Use eBay to find it all.

Doing it yourself can leave you with a big discount over paying Apple, plus this way your AppleCare may not be voided. As long as Apple doesn't see the MBA in that condition, you have a chance.

Good luck.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I highly recommend you completely take apart the whole thing. Use iFixIt for the photo information. And, make sure you take many photos and track every screw and part removed. Then, replace all of the aluminum parts. Like $150 for cover. $200 for top case. Will cost you less than $400 with all new aluminum parts. Use eBay to find it all.

Doing it yourself can leave you with a big discount over paying Apple, plus this way your AppleCare may not be voided. As long as Apple doesn't see the MBA in that condition, you have a chance.

Good luck.
I guess i will see what i can do

I think i may just bend back the bezel with a pair of pliers and pop it open and bend back the Top Case. Sound good?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I guess i will see what i can do

I think i may just bend back the bezel with a pair of pliers and pop it open and bend back the Top Case. Sound good?

I would remove ALL of the display and interior components BEFORE trying to "bend" aluminum or you could do a lot more damage than anything to the real driving forces within your MBA.

I have taken apart Mac notebooks and worked on aluminum "adjustments" before. I was very successful at removing two large dents from a MBP. I removed all of the components and display. I then got a large ball bearing. I used tape to build up around the dents so the ball bearing would stay in the damaged areas. I rolled with heavy pressure on the aluminum until it worked back into the proper shape. I also used a small hammer and wood blocks to bend out the flat area. Both worked really well. I then took a torch burner and heated up the area and worked some more. I heated from the inside and rolled out the aluminum more from the inside and it looked near perfect when finished. So, yes "tweaking" it is possible, but be very careful to just bend and try to work on aluminum while internal components are all removed.

Best wishes with it.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
I would remove ALL of the display and interior components BEFORE trying to "bend" aluminum or you could do a lot more damage than anything to the real driving forces within your MBA.

I have taken apart Mac notebooks and worked on aluminum "adjustments" before. I was very successful at removing two large dents from a MBP. I removed all of the components and display. I then got a large ball bearing. I used tape to build up around the dents so the ball bearing would stay in the damaged areas. I rolled with heavy pressure on the aluminum until it worked back into the proper shape. I also used a small hammer and wood blocks to bend out the flat area. Both worked really well. I then took a torch burner and heated up the area and worked some more. I heated from the inside and rolled out the aluminum more from the inside and it looked near perfect when finished. So, yes "tweaking" it is possible, but be very careful to just bend and try to work on aluminum while internal components are all removed.

Best wishes with it.

i want with the pliers and masking tape worked got a bit of a scratch by the hinge is not jammed up anymore

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Maybe you can find a dead MBA on eBay and swap out the shell.

ifixit.com has the lower case for $150, the keyboard cover for $180 and the upper display for $700.

I'm not advocating paying all that but if they can pick and pull parts maybe you can too.

I looked quickly on eBay just now and didn't come up with a dead one but there has to be one from time to time.

BTW, Rev A or Rev B?

A

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
They're denty machines - that's what happens when you make machines out of soft metal. Certainly the only ultraportables I've had to bend back into shape occasionally. Price of style over substance and all that. Bad luck OP, better luck next machine.

Aluminum is not soft metal there genius.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
1. can he get a refund on his apple care?

2. if he takes it to Apple store - and shows it to them working fine - but just dented - can they make note of his file so in the future if the logic board goes - it's on fine that maybe the dent was not the issue cuz it was working fine while dented?

3. if he gets it repaired under homeowner - is there any record that apple can see what repairs were done and why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.