PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook G4

brentsg
Mar 8, 2009, 07:09 PM
So my 12" Powerbook 1.33 G4 has been valuable to my family as a kitchen counter web surfing, e-mailing machine for some time.

Unfortunately last week I think the fan went out, as it is making a horrible noise. I would like to continue to use it, as I love OSX ... it's the perfect size... and it's still cosmetically perfect. In fact I think it's in better shape than my unibody MBP... somehow.

I've looked at some online docs, and replacing the fan seems to be fairly difficult. Is there an online resource that I can trust for this work, or should I replace it because it won't be cost effective given this machine's current performance level?

I took at look at some current netbooks at BB today and the 10" screen really seems small compared to the 12" PB.

Thanks much!

STSNorthstar
Mar 8, 2009, 11:53 PM
So my 12" Powerbook 1.33 G4 has been valuable to my family as a kitchen counter web surfing, e-mailing machine for some time.

Unfortunately last week I think the fan went out, as it is making a horrible noise. I would like to continue to use it, as I love OSX ... it's the perfect size... and it's still cosmetically perfect. In fact I think it's in better shape than my unibody MBP... somehow.

I've looked at some online docs, and replacing the fan seems to be fairly difficult. Is there an online resource that I can trust for this work, or should I replace it because it won't be cost effective given this machine's current performance level?

I took at look at some current netbooks at BB today and the 10" screen really seems small compared to the 12" PB.

Thanks much!

I've had mine apart twice. Follow the guide on ifixit.com, keep track of your screws, and you'll be fine. Not sure where you will find a new fan, but look at it this way, you'll be keeping a machine you know and love running, you're keeping it out of a reseller's hands, and you're learning about fixing your computer all at the same time. What's not to love?

However, I've always been one to open things even when they were working fine. My DVD player is a good example. It's about 16 inches wide, and 8 deep. I wondered why it needed so much room inside. The answer? Half of it is empty.