Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msb65

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hi Everyone,

So I just got a brand new White MB. I would like to replace the 120 GB 5400 rpm HD with a larger and perhaps faster 3rd party one.

I have never done this before and I was wondering if people could warn me of any potential hazards as I pick out a new hard drive. Specifically:

- What are the physical dimensions of the HD for this computer?

- Can I put a 7200 rpm one in? Will this cause hazardous overheating? Can my computer handle it?

I have seen some great deals on 320 GB and 500 GB 7200 rpm HDs on Newegg. I just want to make sure they will work with my computer. Any specific models people can recommend?

Thanks a lot!
Mike

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
All hard drives are third party, Apple doesn't make their own.

Your MB will take any 2.5" SATA HDD that's 9.5mm in thickness. Make usually comes down to preference, but the most recommended ones are WD Scorpios, Seagate Momentus, and I believe Hitachi. I myself recommend Seagate or Western Digital.

Your MB will handle 7200rpm HDDs. Some claim that it will increase temperatures and decrease battery life, but your computer will be able to handle it without a problem.

Newegg is a great source that many have purchased from, so you're safe with them.

Lastly, I suggest you search. There have been countless threads on this. Not to mention there's documentation on Apple's site that will show you how to switch the hard drive, what dimensions you need, etc. The search is there for a reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.