Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ad0rkk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
I only have so much money, and a gargantuan library of music and tv shows. My friend has a brand new 1G touch he'll sell to me for $150 (less if I bug him more) and I've been juggling the idea of buying that (after playing games for hours on the subway) or saving up a little more for a classic.

I'm kinda hooked on the idea of internet and games on-the-go, but I'm just not sure 8gb will cut it music-wise.

What do youuuu think?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I only have so much money, and a gargantuan library of music and tv shows. My friend has a brand new 1G touch he'll sell to me for $150 (less if I bug him more) and I've been juggling the idea of buying that (after playing games for hours on the subway) or saving up a little more for a classic.

I'm kinda hooked on the idea of internet and games on-the-go, but I'm just not sure 8gb will cut it music-wise.

What do youuuu think?

My first iPod touch was a 1st gen 8GB model, and I regretted it so much. At first the touch screen seems amazing, but then it dawned on me that for such an amazing device you'll want as much storage as possible - by that I mean if you KNOW you will have over 8GB of content eventually, don't get it.

Something the classic has going for it, in addition to higher capacity, is the audio quality is a lot better than the 1st gen touch. The current (2nd gen) touch uses the same audio chip as the classic now, so that too has better audio quality, but in the year that the 1st gen touch was introduced only the iPod classic had the audio quality bump - it took another 12 months for it to appear in the other iPod models. The difference in quality is rather noticeable if you're really into your music, I was blown away the first time I listened to my 2G touch.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Regarding the touch

1st gen 32BG

2nd Gen 64GB what it should have been

3rd gen 128GB what im naively hoping for

Sep 2010 before a 128GB Touch then....ah well such is life.

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
Regarding the touch

1st gen 32BG

2nd Gen 64GB what it should have been

3rd gen 128GB what im naively hoping for

Sep 2010 before a 128GB Touch then....ah well such is life.

2nd gen 64GB what it couldnt have been because they didnt make the chips yet!

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Given the recent developments in higher-density flash memory, a 128 GB iPod touch could be available as early as this fall. Since the iPod touch doesn't need the circuitry for the cellphone function, it frees up interior space for additional flash memory modules.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
To me, capacity is king, so I use a 160GB classic. I wouldn't go near a 8GB touch. I have an 8GB iphone that is half full with just podcasts, apps, and pictures and no music. IMO, if you like having a large amount of music with you, the classic is the way to go.

But then again, I am not concerned with internet or email on the go because I have an iphone. For me, my iPod is all about music.

coronel mustard

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Standish, England
Classic response

From the sounds of it, i reckon you should go for the classic- you get the capacity you need and the better sound quality over the 1st gen touch. If you are still interested in the games and internet on the go, why not consider saving a little extra and getting a PSP? Another device to carry around- I know but the new slim-line model is surprisingly thin and light!

ad0rkk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks, this was really helpful. I had no idea the sound chip was different, and sound makes the music. Classic it is!

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Agreed. I have a 1st gen iPod Touch. One year later, I need a higher capacity iPod Touch. So, if you have a "gargantuan" library, go with the Classic. Besides, the reason I went with the iPod Touch is that it is 1.) awesome, and 2.) more of a PDA, which serves my needs well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.