PDA

View Full Version : Water Damaged Macbook - Apple reps gave bad advice, now I need yours!

shoub
Mar 9, 2009, 01:40 AM
Hi All! I desperately need advice on a problem I have run into with my computer and mac service. I spilled water on the keyboard of my macbook a couple weeks ago. I knew that turning it on wet was a bad idea, so I took the battery out and let the computer dry open over a towel. I immediately called apple for advice and they told me to try to turn it on, both both normally and with an emergency power-on sequence. The light flickered, but no luck.

So I had to take it to the Genius Bar in Albany, NY, where they also tried every possible way to turn it on (knowing that it was the very same day I had spilled water on it) and nothing worked. He then told me there was nothing I could do except sent it to the depot at a flat price of $780, plus $150 to first extract the contents of the hard drive. It was devastating for me as a student - totally out of my financial range.

When I finally got to a computer with internet, I researched how to handle water damage. I followed instructions on taking it apart and letting it dry. A day later, it worked for a couple hours! But alas, that was short lived and now it does not turn on whatsoever.

Is it possible that Mac encourages their employees to give detrimental advice to customers when they know that the results won't have to be covered by apple care? I didn't know what else to do, so I called for help. They repeatedly told me to do something that could easily short-circuit the machine. I want to write a complaint, but I want to know what you all think. Do I have a case? If I do, is there any particular department I should send my complaint to (already know the cali address)?

Thank you so much!

Abstract
Mar 9, 2009, 01:56 AM
I spilled water on the keyboard of my macbook a couple weeks ago. I knew that turning it on wet was a bad idea, so I took the battery out and let the computer dry open over a towel.

You mean you covered the laptop with a towel while it dried??

Why? That would only make the process take longer.

Is it possible that Mac encourages their employees to give detrimental advice to customers when they know that the results won't have to be covered by apple care?

Not a chance.

However, it couldn't hurt for you to tell Apple what AppleCare support people, and the "Genius" at the Apple Store told you to do. It would be even better if you had their names.

shoub
Mar 9, 2009, 08:41 AM
I didn't cover it with a towel, I laid it underneath and let the comp dry upside down on top. It made sense to me at the time, but I was freaking out.

I wish I had gotten the names of the individuals. I didn't think I'd need them, you know? I will try to write as detailed as possible.