Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Anyone here keep their media on an external HD and access it wirelessly? I'm interested in trying this and would like to know if it would be plausible.

What's your setup?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You can, but streaming videos like that may not be best - it will depend on your network.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Well I was thinking of streaming the music wireless. I was going to use ATV for the video, hardwired.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
my entire iTunes Music and Movie library reside on a 1.5TB harddrive on my AirPort Extreme, streams to two separate computers and to an AppleTV never had any issues or lagging with them.

just point your library to the AirPort Disk and you should be set.

you might benefit from having the ATV hardwired for higher quality/larger video files without hving the ATV buffer it too excessively.

goodluck, hope it turns out great.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
my entire iTunes Music and Movie library reside on a 1.5TB harddrive on my AirPort Extreme, streams to two separate computers and to an AppleTV never had any issues or lagging with them.

just point your library to the AirPort Disk and you should be set.

you might benefit from having the ATV hardwired for higher quality/larger video files without hving the ATV buffer it too excessively.

goodluck, hope it turns out great.

So you have a 1.5 TB HD connected to the Airport extreme? Holy crap that's alot of media!! Has anyone ever tried doing the same thing with a 1TB time capsule, by itself? This is what I wanted to try doing actually.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
So you have a 1.5 TB HD connected to the Airport extreme? Holy crap that's alot of media!! Has anyone ever tried doing the same thing with a 1TB time capsule, by itself? This is what I wanted to try doing actually.

It can be done the same way as using an external disk to an AirPort Extreme.

My set has my TimeCapsule backing up 2 macbook pros and also streams my music to each of them.

all you do is just drag and drop your media content you want on there point your libraries to those and i think you should be set, as thats all I did.

Since the time machine backs up to its own folder per system and inside there contains all the backed up files.
so you shouldnt have any issues just placing your media on there at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.