PDA

View Full Version : Apples with Apples - are Macs really worth it?

MacBytes
Mar 9, 2009, 07:24 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apples with Apples - are Macs really worth it? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090309082452)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

archipellago
Mar 9, 2009, 08:01 AM
of course not....

Schtumple
Mar 9, 2009, 08:39 AM
Has Macbytes employed someone who really has it out for apple? Seriously, there's been so much negative reports made by them, it's like they're turning into MacTrolls or something...

Willis
Mar 9, 2009, 09:29 AM
That was a rant about nothing. Yes, exchange rate is crummy so everyone outside of the US suffers for the new products.

He basically said, 'HP and Dell offer cheaper options blah blah, but do you want something that ugly in your house?'

ok, so whats your point? geeez

ShiggyMiyamoto
Mar 9, 2009, 09:33 AM
Some people just don't get it... People "pay the premium" to get a good computer, one that'll last for years on end...

I guess they'll never learn...

Povilas
Mar 9, 2009, 11:44 AM
It's Mac Rumors, not yellow pages. Approved by Mudbug? Quality BS? :D

Silencio
Mar 9, 2009, 12:12 PM
Has Macbytes employed someone who really has it out for apple? Seriously, there's been so much negative reports made by them, it's like they're turning into MacTrolls or something...

You know, a lot of the articles posted on MacBytes are linked by users: they're just approved and posted by the admins.

MacBytes links just prove there's a lot of trollery passing as journalism and editorial these days.

winmacguy
Mar 9, 2009, 12:22 PM
You know, a lot of the articles posted on MacBytes are linked by users: they're just approved and posted by the admins.

MacBytes links just prove there's a lot of trollery passing as journalism and editorial these days.

Although that article is from the Mac blog part of the Herald, most of the people who reply to it are not Mac users or Mac fans. There is also a fairly high percentage of people in NZ who consider Macs to be over priced glossy toys compared to PCs. The article was just doing a like for like comparison of the all in one computers on the market. As to the price, unfortunately we have dropped from 70c on the dollar to 50c on the dollar which means we now pay that much more for a Mac.

EmperorDarius
Mar 9, 2009, 12:52 PM
They're the only computers for which I feel are worth every single cent you pay for them.

macnz
Mar 9, 2009, 01:13 PM
The articles always look more negative once the Herald changes the title. It wasn't meant to be negative at all, just to show that 1/ NZ Macs aren't overpriced compared to overseas Macs when you look at exchange rates and shipping and 2/ all-in-one Macs are comparable in price to all-in-one PCs.
The author ...

caliguy
Mar 9, 2009, 09:31 PM
Their story was published at 9:42 AM :)
Oh, this debate. Macs are pretty to look at and they perform well. end

BenRoethig
Mar 9, 2009, 11:26 PM
Are Macs worth it? I honestly do know anymore. There was a day not ago where you got the best computer for your needs, you got the best OS with it and you just went merrily on to whatever you needed to do. Apple and the community have changed a lot. Apple has narrowed its focus to aesthetics and minimalism and the new users coming in tend to more radical in their devotion. If you want the OS anymore, you have to deal with a lot of extra baggage that never used to be there.

drewsof07
Mar 9, 2009, 11:51 PM
When you compare spec to spec, No macs aren't worth the premium. But if you factor in the pre-installed software, it makes a bit more sense. Consider Garageband: How much would you have to spend to get a similar audio recorder/editor for Windows, $100? more? The same goes for iMovie, iDVD, etc. All these powerful tools are included in your Mac purchase and don't cost extra. The downside? If you don't use those features, you are basically paying for something you don't use.
Bottom line: It is worth it for some, but not for others.
For email, web browsing, office apps I could not justify purchasing a Mac.

SPUY767
Mar 10, 2009, 09:05 AM
When you compare spec to spec, No macs aren't worth the premium. But if you factor in the pre-installed software, it makes a bit more sense. Consider Garageband: How much would you have to spend to get a similar audio recorder/editor for Windows, $100? more? The same goes for iMovie, iDVD, etc. All these powerful tools are included in your Mac purchase and don't cost extra. The downside? If you don't use those features, you are basically paying for something you don't use.
Bottom line: It is worth it for some, but not for others.
For email, web browsing, office apps I could not justify purchasing a Mac.

I beg to differ. When I bought my first Mac Pro in 2006, it would have cost you nigh on 6 grand to get an equally specced machine from dell, almost twice the price of my machine.

shamino
Mar 12, 2009, 09:45 AM
Ultimately, this article, like all the similar ones before it boil down to the same points:

It isn't possible to spec out a PC with identical features. Especially when comparing the Mac Pro (Xeons are generally only available in high-end servers from PC makers, and then you get no audio and lousy video hardware.)
When you try to come as close as possible for consumer gear, you usually end up with similar prices.
When you factor in the software bundle, Macs end up cheaper.
But this only matters if you need/want everything Apple provides. If you omit from the PC all the stuff you don't think you're going to need, then the price obviously drops. Whether or not it's fair to do that in a comparison is a matter of heated opinion.

So have I missed anything here?