PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 optical drive

JFoster88
Mar 9, 2009, 11:11 AM
My optical superdrive is stuck in the eject position. Apple wants $221 for a replacement part... I'm wondering if anyone knows of a less expensive external drive that would work instead of replacing it. (I've already replaced the power supply and processor in it!)
thanks.

California
Mar 9, 2009, 11:54 AM
I can't recall if the iMacs use a laptop optical drive or a standard sized one...

What does your "about this mac" say the number is on your optical drive?

Whatever it is, upgrade it from that drive when you replace it.

If you have the iSight model of iMac G5, it is very difficult to open the case.

If you have the regular non isight model, it is completely easy to open it up and replace parts.

It might be a good time to upgrade your hard drive, ram and superdrive at the same time. In the non isight models, there are two ram slots. Getting a matched pair of ram in there by same maker will also increase the speed.

IN the isight model, you only have the option of upgrading to one 2 gig chip.

if you have the iSight model, buy a new superdrive yourself and go to a third party tech to have them install it for you. Should not be more than 90 dollars. But if you have the regular non isight, do the work yourself.

Upgrade it all while you can, too.

MTI
Mar 10, 2009, 05:14 PM
I just purchases a Dual Layer Superdrive on eBay for $45 and installed in it a G5 iMac in about 10 minutes to replace the CDRW/DVD that came with it. The optical drives in the G5 and intel iMacs are from the laptops.