Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Inquisitor, the popular Safari search plug-in, is now available as a standalone application for the iPhone [App Store, Free]. According to developer David Watanabe, Inquisitor's background as a sleek and simple application providing easy access to uncluttered search results translates well to the iPhone.

Inquisitor has always been about speed and simple design. Instant search suggestions attempt to complete your thoughts and save you from the keyboard. Results are designed to be easily read on the iPhone screen, so there’s no need to hunt and peck. A built-in web browser means you can flip between search results and web pages with a single tap. There’s even an extended abstract preview that hovers over webpages while they’re loading, so you’re never left staring at a blank screen. On top of it all, Inquisitor remembers your history and personalizes the experience to you.

Yahoo! acquired the rights to Inquisitor in May 2008, although Watanabe remains the lead developer on the project and not an employee of the company. The partnership has led to the launch of Inquisitor plug-ins for [url="http://www.newsfirex.com/blog/?p=236]Firefox and Internet Explorer[/url], and now a standalone iPhone application.

Article Link: Inquisitor for iPhone Now Available

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Must have application. It just renders the searched pages better than Mobile Safari....

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
hopefully they update their flagship inquisitor (for safari) to work within safari 4

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I think Inq. would have been a great buy for Apple. They could have redesigned it to look like the spotlight dropdown and shipped it inside Safari and included it on the iPhone.

Of course, there's probably little stopping them just copying it now.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I bet whoever organised that deal at Yahoo! is kicking themselves now that Safari comes with the functionality built in.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I downloaded this app the other day and think it's great. If they could just cheat like Google did and add voice search, I would delete the Google app.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
hopefully they update their flagship inquisitor (for safari) to work within safari 4

I have been checking the site every couple days to see if this has been done. Been disappointed every time, but not enough to revert back to Safari 3. I may have to give Glims a try.

Thoros

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
Same for the Belgian store: not available. I don't quite get why apps aren't approved at the same time for every market. This just seems like a lot of extra paperwork. And it's quite inconvenient too!

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Perhaps the current version is only set up to search Yahoo's US site, so they aren't releasing it in other countries until it can search the international sites.

diemos

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I think new Safari revision should be out, since inquisitor actually loads pages faster.

inkhead

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2005
The guy who makes inquisitor is a grade A scam artist. He recently went to Yahoo who purchased his software.

For the record he ran a "lifetime" acquisition special, which I and thousands purchased, then went back on his word trying to charge us all for the update.

He takes open-source software and sells it violating the GPL.

He's cocky and rude to everyone, and Yahoo regrets buying him.

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004
I have been checking the site every couple days to see if this has been done. Been disappointed every time, but not enough to revert back to Safari 3. I may have to give Glims a try.

Well, Safari 4 is still in beta. That'd be a beta plugin over a beta, which I guess maybe not everyone would want to release publicly right away.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Doesn't Safari 4 have something like Inquisitor? Like it drops down a menu when you search for stuff?

It does, and I actually like it better because it works (well) with Google. I installed Inquisitor on my work computer and was dissatisfied with the way it handled Google being the main search engine.

The iPhone app is great, though, despite the fact that it uses Yahoo. I expect to see similar functionality from Google in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.