PDA

View Full Version : Leopard on G4 HELP PLEASE

canuelo
Mar 9, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi. I have a G4 Mirrored. with 1 Ghz. 1.5 Ram and 400 Gb DD. I had all Leopard running fine untill some issue with permisions come upa and it would not start, posted it on Macforums but no reply so took it to the apple shop and they reloaded tiger 10.2.8 back on. I have a legal leopard copy to install but when I do so it just goes pat setting your language and then a small cell drops down and says "You can not install this OS on your machine" try updating your firmware which I have no idea how to do on a G4, I have done it on a Mac book pro OK!. So I cn't use iLife or iWorks as it won't accept them, PLEASE can anyone help me to get leopard back on it again. Thanks.

cawesjmu
Mar 9, 2009, 02:40 PM
Try this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120186

McShizzel
Mar 9, 2009, 02:41 PM
Try doing a software update (Click on the apple in the upper left hand corner then select Software Update...) before trying to install Leopard and see how that goes.

Arrghh! cawesjmu beat me to it.

canuelo
Mar 9, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hi Guys. OK I have just updated as sent by cawesjmu and it shows this;

Firmware updated from 4.6.0f1 and is now updated to 4.4.8 PMG4 so far so good. Should I now try installing the leopard disck or is there more to be done??. Thanks again to all for your kind help

Try doing a software update (Click on the apple in the upper left hand corner then select Software Update...) before trying to install Leopard and see how that goes.

Arrghh! cawesjmu beat me to it.

hahaha!! Ok I have done all updates except quicktime. I have on the mac Book Pro quicktime 7 pro but the serial number won't work so quicktime on the tiger OS is a no no!!

Now updated

canuelo
Mar 9, 2009, 04:55 PM

Now updated

canuelo
Mar 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
OK. I have put the disk in and held down the "C" key which brings me into the 10.5 setup. I get as far as testing your system prior to the installation and then I get this message. "It is not possible to upgrade MAC OS X to version 10.5 in this computer" reason: The version 10.4 anterior can not be found on this computer:eek:

CubeHacker
Mar 9, 2009, 05:06 PM
Don't try to do the "upgrade". Do an "Archive and install", or even better the "erase and install" options. Be warned, you will lose ALL your data because the hard drive will be formatted.

canuelo
Mar 9, 2009, 05:16 PM
Don't try to do the "upgrade". Do an "Archive and install", or even better the "erase and install" options. Be warned, you will lose ALL your data because the hard drive will be formatted.

Hi Cubehacker, how do I do that. I have tried holding down the c key and that takes me into the setup for 10.5 OS X but this dialog box keeps dropping down saying that I need to have 10.4 installed. a wird thing that hapends is the normal Square box to the left of the screen which has the big black X in it and the file you click on to start the software running has 5 large blue foldres in it as well!!!. 3 of them have blck arrows as if they are short cuts and have underneath etc. var. and the others have Optional installs and Instructions. It's the first time I have ever seen this. I get the feeling I am missing something here :confused:

cawesjmu
Mar 9, 2009, 06:15 PM
when you start up for the disc, and you're choosing the disc to install it on, there's a "options" button to the left of the "back" and "continue" buttons. Click that and then choose "archive and install." It needs to do this because the older version of OS X (Jaguar) formatted the drive slightly differently. Let us know if that works. Sorry for the delayed response.

canuelo
Mar 9, 2009, 06:30 PM
when you start up for the disc, and you're choosing the disc to install it on, there's a "options" button to the left of the "back" and "continue" buttons. Click that and then choose "archive and install." It needs to do this because the older version of OS X (Jaguar) formatted the drive slightly differently. Let us know if that works. Sorry for the delayed response.

Hi I am not even getting this far!!. I go to system language first then it goes to the next stage and as soon as it gets to where it says more info o go back this is when the cell drops down and says 10.5 OS X can not be installed. It says I need 10.4 first, I can get any dwnloads or upgrades. The only disk I have is the original. It seems as though I need another OS disk with 10.4 on it before it will allow me to jump to 10.5. I have reloaded 10.5 on intel Macs no probs for friends etc but the G4 seems to be saying bend down and touch ya toes buddy!!, didn't think it would be this involved, all because the apple shop told me they had to repair my "Permisionns" and is advisable to reload the whole OS from scratch, wished I had left well alone:(. Well it is nearly 1 am and I'm off to bed. Will have a look at this forum after work tomorow. Thanks to all for your help so far.

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 9, 2009, 07:24 PM
You do have a Retail Leopard DVD right? Not a burned copy of one? Using a Leopard disc from say your Macbook Pro won't work on your G4 and typically burned copies from your friends or one you downloaded off the internet won't work either.

cawesjmu
Mar 9, 2009, 07:36 PM
Do you have everything backed up on some kind of external drive? If not, now would be a good time to do that. You could try using the "utilities" drop down menu, (right after the language selection) and use the disk utility app to format your drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then try again. And like OrangeSVT said, make sure it's a retail copy that will install on all computers, and not the one that came with another computer as it's specifically made for one type of machine.

zmttoxics
Mar 9, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi I am not even getting this far!!. I go to system language first then it goes to the next stage and as soon as it gets to where it says more info o go back this is when the cell drops down and says 10.5 OS X can not be installed. It says I need 10.4 first, I can get any dwnloads or upgrades. The only disk I have is the original. It seems as though I need another OS disk with 10.4 on it before it will allow me to jump to 10.5. I have reloaded 10.5 on intel Macs no probs for friends etc but the G4 seems to be saying bend down and touch ya toes buddy!!, didn't think it would be this involved, all because the apple shop told me they had to repair my "Permisionns" and is advisable to reload the whole OS from scratch, wished I had left well alone:(. Well it is nearly 1 am and I'm off to bed. Will have a look at this forum after work tomorow. Thanks to all for your help so far.

Your "legal" install disk would appear to be an upgrade only edition which only went to people who bought a 10.4 intel machine right before 10.5 came out. You need a full install disk.

CubeHacker
Mar 9, 2009, 10:26 PM
As others have said, if you have a correct Retail edition of OSX, these options should appear when installing:

http://images.macworld.com/images/legacy/2005/04/images/content/tigerupgrade.jpg

You should pick 'archive and install' or the 'erase and install' options.

canuelo
Mar 10, 2009, 07:41 AM
You do have a Retail Leopard DVD right? Not a burned copy of one? Using a Leopard disc from say your Macbook Pro won't work on your G4 and typically burned copies from your friends or one you downloaded off the internet won't work either.

Hi OrangesSVTguy. OK I have 3 Disks which come with the G4 of which 2 are original. 1 is Power Mac G4 Instalation and recovery and the 2nd is Apple hardware test powermac G4. The guy I bought it from sent a DVD with Mac OSX wrote on it in pen!. The thing is when I bought it, it has leopard running on it so I thought the disck he sent me was the same one he had used!! evedently not so. I have yet another disc which is an Original apple disk with the black and silver X on the front and it says: Mac OS X Leopard CPU drop in DVD version 10.5. On the other side of the disk it says: This software disk is part of a hardware budle-not to be sold seperatly, this is the one that tells me on the instalation "Can not find 10.4 on your computer, Cannot install this software, It does come with it's instalation guide, Software agreement and serial number7Bar code etc in a new plastic see through sleeve. So it seems as you say I need a retail copy of 10.4 but how do I get my sticky fingers on one of these as they must be obsolet in the shops now??. Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated

canuelo
Mar 10, 2009, 07:52 AM
Do you have everything backed up on some kind of external drive? If not, now would be a good time to do that. You could try using the "utilities" drop down menu, (right after the language selection) and use the disk utility app to format your drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then try again. And like OrangeSVT said, make sure it's a retail copy that will install on all computers, and not the one that came with another computer as it's specifically made for one type of machine.

Hi. yes I did a back up of everything as I am a Photographer and had some important photos on it. I think I need to get hold of a retail version of 10.4 somehow. You say about "Utilities" but I don't get as far as that. I get the long language menu, so I select a language then it goes to the next screen where is show what is included in the software and at the bottom you have the go back button and continue, well just at this point a cell drops down saying checking computer for instalation at this point a split second after another cell drops down and states: Can not find 10.4 OSX this software can not be installed after that I have to pull back out of the instalation and reboot. So this "Retail" copy seems to be the only answer. The guys in the USA probably have loads of them but in Spain most people are windows lovers, I'm an apple fan!!. 1 X Mac Book Pro 172. 1XG4. 1X G5 20". and an iPhone 3 G. and also a fruit dish full of apples :D Thanks again for your time and help

canuelo
Mar 10, 2009, 07:54 AM
Your "legal" install disk would appear to be an upgrade only edition which only went to people who bought a 10.4 intel machine right before 10.5 came out. You need a full install disk.

It seems you guys are all saying the same so I am trying to find a full install disk. Maybe I will fly over to Californis, see my folks and get one!

zmttoxics
Mar 10, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hi OrangesSVTguy. OK I have 3 Disks which come with the G4 of which 2 are original. 1 is Power Mac G4 Instalation and recovery and the 2nd is Apple hardware test powermac G4. The guy I bought it from sent a DVD with Mac OSX wrote on it in pen!. The thing is when I bought it, it has leopard running on it so I thought the disck he sent me was the same one he had used!! evedently not so. I have yet another disc which is an Original apple disk with the black and silver X on the front and it says: Mac OS X Leopard CPU drop in DVD version 10.5. On the other side of the disk it says: This software disk is part of a hardware budle-not to be sold seperatly, this is the one that tells me on the instalation "Can not find 10.4 on your computer, Cannot install this software, It does come with it's instalation guide, Software agreement and serial number7Bar code etc in a new plastic see through sleeve. So it seems as you say I need a retail copy of 10.4 but how do I get my sticky fingers on one of these as they must be obsolet in the shops now??. Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated

No. The Leopard DVD you have is only for the machine it came with. You need to buy a retail copy from your local Apple partnered retail outlet.

canuelo
Mar 10, 2009, 08:02 AM
As others have said, if you have a correct Retail edition of OSX, these options should appear when installing:

http://images.macworld.com/images/legacy/2005/04/images/content/tigerupgrade.jpg

You should pick 'archive and install' or the 'erase and install' options.

Hi Cubehacker. OK now this is interesting. AS I said before this problem started about 2 weeks ago when I loaded in a security update "When" the g4 had Leopard running fine, but after the update it re booted, the apple logo come up and the little timer going round and round for some 45 seconds and then the whole machine just shut down, OK, The apple store looked at it and said it was a "Permisions" problem and at least the Disk tray opens and the system is running BUT they also said it is important to reload the operating system from scratch, which is what I did loading in the old OS first. When I did this I went to the "Bottom" option as shown in your screen shot "Erase and install" thinking if I did this I could load Leopard with no probs. Obviously not the case. This is a learning curve guys hahaha:)

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 10, 2009, 09:17 AM
You can find Leopard Retail discs for <$50 one ebay or other online sites. Make sure it's a black disc and not a gray one. Also make sure it's not an upgrade disc or the name Leopard OS-X written with a sharpie.

canuelo
Mar 10, 2009, 09:38 AM
You can find Leopard Retail discs for <$50 one ebay or other online sites. Make sure it's a black disc and not a gray one. Also make sure it's not an upgrade disc or the name Leopard OS-X written with a sharpie.

Hi. I am just on ebay now to see what there is floating around!!. What's a Sharpie???? I am showing my age here huhummm:)

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 10, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hi. I am just on ebay now to see what there is floating around!!. What's a Sharpie???? I am showing my age here huhummm:)

Sharpie permanent marker ;). Like your other disc that doesn't work.

Leopard requires a 2-layer DVD because of the size(larger than 4.3gb), they probably "thinned" it up to put on a single layer DVD.

Consultant
Mar 10, 2009, 09:58 AM
You didn't buy it. Having a pirated copy is not buying it.

Just BUY A RETAIL COPY. The online apple store in Spain is:
http://store.apple.com/es/

Sharpie is a brand name for a black marker, typically used to write on burn disks.

canuelo
Mar 10, 2009, 11:08 AM
Sharpie permanent marker ;). Like your other disc that doesn't work.

Leopard requires a 2-layer DVD because of the size(larger than 4.3gb), they probably "thinned" it up to put on a single layer DVD.

Hahaha!! OK get the message!. Didn't know about the 2 layer DVD. I think I will use the G4 as a storage device, load music and photos onto it and call it a day. I have had a look on the Spanish web site and gone through 45 pages of software ahhhhhhh!!!! But can't find 10.4, Mac help in Spain is nothing like in the USA, you have to go into the shop, go down on bended knee, write a blank cheque and please o mighty one will you please help me:D. They may help you if they have had a good morning hahahaha. Anyway thanks to all of you for your help and time and be safe.

canuelo
Mar 10, 2009, 11:19 AM
You didn't buy it. Having a pirated copy is not buying it.

Just BUY A RETAIL COPY. The online apple store in Spain is:
http://store.apple.com/es/

Sharpie is a brand name for a black marker, typically used to write on burn disks.

A pirate copy is not the correct way to go, I go along with you on that but it come with it when I bought it off ebay so it was a sort of resold pirated copy probably of a copy!!. Have had a look at the web site but there is no 10.4 Retail. I think I will use it for storage/Photos/music etc and call it a day. It only cost 200 euros a year ago so I can't complain well except 58 dollars an hour that Apple charge in Spain. I have a Sharpie as well but it was made in Spain I think it must be a copy of the real thing!!. Don't want to bother all you guys with this problem, we all know I need a Retail copy and that about sums it up, so untill I get one it stays as it is, I have to much editing to do in FCP to spend more time on it. Thanks very much to all of you for your help, stay safe.