Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Once again the music industry don't see free advertising when it hits them in the face, bloody morons. Someone should fire all the music industry execs and hire a complete new set of staff, one that's actually forward thinking, and not dragging their heels at every possible opportunity.

It's pathetic, for a long time now, the music industry has acted like a little spoilt brat, screaming and shouting when things don't go it's way, this will only hurt the music industry...

iNash

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Hanslope, UK
Once again the music industry don't see free advertising when it hits them in the face, bloody morons. Someone should fire all the music industry execs and hire a complete new set of staff, one that's actually forward thinking, and not dragging their heels at every possible opportunity.

It's pathetic, for a long time now, the music industry has acted like a little spoilt brat, screaming and shouting when things don't go it's way, this will only hurt the music industry...

Free advertising is a good thing, however in this case, picture how many people are probably downloading the videos from Youtube and then not buying them...

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
It seems it is not the record companies that are asking for more money, it is the composers. Which one of you is against actual artists getting paid? :)

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
Well, I am a member of PRS, as a paid musician from royalties.

Do I defend the status quo, which in all honesty is to defend the rights of the lazy and non creative or do I recognise that times have changed, technology has advanced, and now the means of distribution are at last in the hands of the workers (musicians) and not the record companies?

Away with copyright I say! Musicians will still pick up a guitar and make music and the truly creative will strive into the future to create a music that will take advantage of the new business models arriving.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Free advertising is a good thing, however in this case, picture how many people are probably downloading the videos from Youtube and then not buying them...

Chances are, if the person knows how to do that, then they also know how to use Limewire or BitTorrent. YouTube quality isn't all that great, and when you consider the fact that Limewire is easier and can have better quality, most people won't extract it from YouTube.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005

where do people who aren't itunes junkies buy music videos?

I don't know about that one. I have been recording the sound files off videos so I don't have to pay for the music for years now. It's makes a much better sound file than the files sharing sites do.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I don't know about that one. I have been recording the sound files off videos so I don't have to pay for the music for years now. It's makes a much better sound file than the files sharing sites do.

Why?! It's 79p/99c from iTunes, how cheap do you have to be to rip Youtube songs...

iNash

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Hanslope, UK
Chances are, if the person knows how to do that, then they also know how to use Limewire or BitTorrent. YouTube quality isn't all that great, and when you consider the fact that Limewire is easier and can have better quality, most people won't extract it from YouTube.

Yeah true good point.

Unless this is an attempt at blocking BitTorrent? Albiet a very slow and small step?

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Are they trying to encourage piracy? I, personally would never pirate, but I know this will force many others to. :(

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Creative Commons is the way forward. Copyright law is out-dated.

All my music is under a creative commons license, I can see CC licenses & independent labels taking over major labels, major labels do not equal success.

Everyone should see Dig!, documentary about the Dandy Warhols & Brian Jonestown Massacre, there's a good line where Dandys get signed up to capitol records, and the success they were promised, doesn't materialised.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
All my music is under a creative commons license, I can see CC licenses & independent labels taking over major labels, major labels do not equal success.

Everyone should see Dig!, documentary about the Dandy Warhols & Brian Jonestown Massacre, there's a good line where Dandys get signed up to capitol records, and the success they were promised, doesn't materialised.

my music is too.
and ya, getting signed to a bit label isn't the goal/key. Thousands of bands who are signed aren't profitable.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
Can't they just admit that it can't be stopped??? The artists, composers & company execs may not like it, but there will always be a way around the regulations they impose.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
LOL because this isn't going to make people pirate and download through bittorrent is it? hahaha they are SO STUPID this will just make more people pirate...

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I was wondering if artists even made videos anymore. whenever i turn on mtv (very rarely), it seems like there are just 'reality' shows playing...

That's because MTV made the (right) decision to move away from being a music video only based channel some time ago, they're now a entertainment channel, although reality TV is hardly entertainment, but you get what I'm saying.

I so didn't have to do an essay on them in college :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.