Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CricketLiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
[I posted something similar to Apple Discussions--hope that's OK.]

Hi, folks.

My MacBook had the trackpad clicks-not-registering problem that was cleared up by the Trackpad Firmware Update in November. Unfortunately, a variant of that problem seems to have surfaced. When waking from sleep or on boot, roughly half of the trackpad's clicks won't register, forcing me to click two or more times to start an app or read mail. After five or ten minutes, the problem seems to abate. I still "lose" clicks now and then, but not as often. Note that other trackpad functions seem unaffected when this happens.

I've tried resetting the SMC (no effect) and PRAM. Resetting PRAM cleared up the problem but only briefly, and now it's recurring.

I took the MacBook to the Genius Bar and the Genius suggested I use "tap to click" instead, but while that works, I'm a sloppy clicker and found that setting irritating.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I only have this issue when the computer is COLD. My apt gets pretty cold overnight without the heat running, so usually just warming up the trackpad with my palm gets it going again.

Is your place particularly cold?

CricketLiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I only have this issue when the computer is COLD. My apt gets pretty cold overnight without the heat running, so usually just warming up the trackpad with my palm gets it going again.

Is your place particularly cold?

Not particularly, but I think you may be on to something. I do experience the problem most often when the computer is cold. I had equated that with "recently awakened" or "recently booted," but we keep the house fairly cool and my office is sometimes downright cold. I'll try your palm trick and see if it makes any difference.

It does seem a little odd, though--isn't the click causing physical contact between two conductors? I'm not sure why temperature would matter.

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

CricketLiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Not particularly, but I think you may be on to something. I do experience the problem most often when the computer is cold. I had equated that with "recently awakened" or "recently booted," but we keep the house fairly cool and my office is sometimes downright cold. I'll try your palm trick and see if it makes any difference.

Not sure the cold theory holds up. I just walked from my office into a meeting, which took all of two minutes, and when my MacBook awoke it dropped several clicks. It was still warm--it's been on all day.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008

It does seem a little odd, though--isn't the click causing physical contact between two conductors? I'm not sure why temperature would matter.

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

Sorry, I didn't realize by "clicking" you meant actually pressing the trackpad. I have the issue rarely, but its with tap-to-click.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.