PDA

View Full Version : More RAM for G4 PB 1.25GHz?

willmg
Apr 3, 2004, 12:40 PM
Hey all seeking a bit of advice. I got my 1.25 with a single 512 stick. I was hoping by now 1 gig sticks would be in mass production and down to at least 200-260$, as they are still 340+ it seems like thats a ways off. I have recently started getting the damn spinning circle more often than back when the comp was new and I heard sometimes this is a RAM issue, esspecially with multiple programs running. My question is, is it worth it for me to spend 100$ on another 512 stick, then eventually dump one of them and get a gig if I need it later? Will I see a boost from 1gig total vs the 512 I have now?

thanks

Jovian9
Apr 3, 2004, 01:28 PM
Hey all seeking a bit of advice. I got my 1.25 with a single 512 stick. I was hoping by now 1 gig sticks would be in mass production and down to at least 200-260$, as they are still 340+ it seems like thats a ways off. I have recently started getting the damn spinning circle more often than back when the comp was new and I heard sometimes this is a RAM issue, esspecially with multiple programs running. My question is, is it worth it for me to spend 100$ on another 512 stick, then eventually dump one of them and get a gig if I need it later? Will I see a boost from 1gig total vs the 512 I have now?

thanks

I have the 1GHz Aluminum 17" which came with 512MB. I switched out my 512MB User Slot RAM from my iMac into my PowerBook while I was on vacation in NY.....it made a great deal of difference.....especially noticeable now that I've put it back in the iMac. So YES, it does help. But I too am struggling with the decision on whether or not to spend 3X as much money on a 1GB stick instead of a 512MB stick of RAM

Felix_the_Mac
Apr 3, 2004, 02:11 PM
I would say definitely go for the extra 512MB now.

Unless you do some heavy duty stuff like video editing you probably don't need more than 1GB anyway.

I upgraded my PB 1.25 to 1GB with 2x 512MB Crucial sticks. Good quality, good value.