Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celloman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
it got removed because google stopped its free txting implimentation... it was my favorite app too...

ken987

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
I recently did. I like how they positioned themselves so that it looks pointless for those who just bought it....I wonder how much they made and why they are not even making an attempt for refunds for those how bought very recently.

SiMPLEGuy

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Still working for me..sort of

I sent myself a message at 9:30 AM PDT today. I received a spam warning notice that I have sent too many messages to this number (mine, and it was my first). I then sent one to my daughter's iPhone (yet to hear back). ABout a minute later, my iPhone buzzed and the message to myself appeared.

Go figure...please!

Luminator

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
I sent an email to the developer this morning and this was his response:

Google informed us that they will be blocking non-Google apps from accessing the underlying service used by Infinite SMS.

Google has not accused Infinite SMS of wrongdoing; they've said they were simply unprepared for their SMS feature to be so popular.

We found out the evening of Monday, March 9, 2009, and immediately removed Infinite SMS from sale.

More details are in our official announcement:

http://innerfence.com/sms

We can no longer respond to emails about Infinite SMS. If you want to give feedback to Google about this decision, you can use their Google Group:

http://tinyurl.com/bswn2z

-- Derek & Ryan
- Show quoted text -

I just bought the app sunday and didn't even get a chance to use it, boy do I feel ripped off.:mad:

navajarunner

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
No wonder this shows up as free now. I will mention that I used it this morning to text my wife and she replied... so iono?

SiMPLEGuy

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Infinite SMS Update?

Is it possible that my app is still working thanks to an update I received for it last night?

OTOH, I still haven't heard back from my daughter re: SMS I sent her earlier today.

navajarunner

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
So what are the changes from version 1.3 to 1.4? I have 1.3 and was still able to get a text through. I'm curious to know what benefits (if any) 1.4 has?

Luminator

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
The more I think about this, the more I feel ripped off. My guess is that Google never even approved access to their service for this application and that the developer found a way to make a quick buck before they realized what was going on. By the looks of this service it’s primarily used for query results to be sent to your phone via SMS and does not allow for sending text messages from phone to phone. If this is true, shame on Apple for allowing this to be approved without checking with Google to see if this was something that they approved of. This is not about the money, it’s more about the principal than anything else. I thought that the app approval process was in part to protect the consumer from scams like this, but apparently not.

fungg3

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
the developers are millionares now for ripping off google's service and hard work. Good job!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.