Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Henrik85

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I'm sitting here thinking I made a mistake by being cheap and just upgrading the base model to 2 GB when virtually everyone else is going for 4 GB...

I do realize that this is mainly because most people choose to upgrade themselves, and then there's no point in not installing 4 GB.

The thing is that I don't think I would benefit at all from having 4 instead of 2 GB of memory, since I won't be doing any "heavy" work on it whatsoever.

I might use Photoshop now and then, but that's about it, and that works just fine on my current MacBook with 2 GB ram (white 2006 model). Also, my memory usage most often shows that I have 1,2 GB of free memory, which isn't even close to "maxing" it.

I've been looking for benchmarks comparing these two configurations, but I couldn't find any.

I know that it's quite easy to upgrade it yourself later, but I'd rather avoid it...

What are your thoughts?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
In response to the thread title - only if you actually use it.

Is it worth buying an upgraded engine in a Honda Civic which can do 130mph compared to 100mph if you only ever go at 80mph on the road?

Memory is just like this.

Henrik85

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
OK, so basically, there's no need for me to have 4 GB since the machine will give me the exact same performance as with 2 GB, as long as I use it like I normally do.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.