Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
I am helping my mother, who is a teacher at a high school, setup a mac lab. She bought all the macs herself they consist of iMac G3s, some G3//G4 towers and two eMacs all running Mac OS 9 to 9.2. I am trying to find a way to install software on them through only one computer and also to reset all their configurations with a few clicks rather than going through all 30 of them. I have file sharing setup on all of them and Multi-Users is not an option. The software she runs hates Mutli-users for some reason. :confused:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Get OSX.

OS9 is WAY out of date. Running OS9 will waste a lot more time then getting OSX.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Unless the software she wants to run is OS9 only.

I'd have to agree though. 10.4.11 should run okay on the G3 iMacs and make both your lives a lot easier. Even stick 10.4 server on one of the G4 towers maybe to do what you're asking.

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
^^seconded. Huge kudos to your mum for sorting out this herself and good for you for helping out but if you want the kids to use a modern, relevent OS then OS X is the way to go, 9 is really for hobbyists/collectors now, plus there are no real, modern web browsers for them. All the G3's will run Panther (some may run Tiger) and the G4's will run Tiger, just make sure they have at least 512 megs of RAM, preferably a GB.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Ah yes, I forgot about the RAM requirements. Some of the iMacs may only be able to handle 10.3 without RAM upgrades, as Rodus advises.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Some people think Mac OS = os9 and hates Mac because they only dealt with os9.
It's like thinking Windows = windows 95 (well it's not that far off, but OSX is UNIX while windows is still not)

install software on them through only one computer and also to reset all their configurations with a few clicks

Much easier with OSX and Remote Desktop, or install a master harddrive, and clone it to the other computers. OSX is more secure anyway.

Check ebay: OSX Panther

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
alright, alright. you convinced me. :) It's very true about not having any good browsers of Mac OS 9. The only browser that was decent was an unofficial version of Mozilla.

Now comes the long process of buying and upgrading OSes. :eek: Mac OS 9 will have to run inside of OS X for her software. I'll go with Panther because there are some original iMacs that will only run 10.3.

Now another question. The old mac lab consisted of Performas and Beige G3's. The only thing that is left of the old lab is the 10base 24-port hub. Right now, 16 Macs are using this hub. There are some separate switches to accommodate the other 14. I know full well that internet browsing on these 16 computers at the same time will be disastrous. So where can i find a cheap 16 port 100base switch?

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Thanks for the recommendations guys. The programs are Spanish Grammar 1 & 2. My mom somehow got a hold of the guy who made the software +10 years ago and asked if she could buy 30 copies. The guy said to just make as many copies as she wants without charge. That was cool. And also Spell Dodger, which was made by the Aracadia/Davidson software company. We haven't been able to find any kind of contact with anyone who was associated with the company. So we went ahead and installed it on the machines. If anyone knows how we can get a hold of someone from Aracadia/Davidson, please let me know!

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
An update.

I have found the holy grail that I was searching for thanks to the University of Utah. RevRdist does all the reconfiguring that I was looking for. It can be found here: http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation/system_deployment/revrdist.html

And also to point out the Mozilla for Mac OS 9, just because this was a hard one to find: http://www.mozilla.org/releases/old-releases-1.1-1.4rc3.html (look for "9.x" in the page) A lot better than Opera, iCab and Netscape for OS 9. For now we'll use OS 9, because to legally put 10.3 on these machines would break us financially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.