Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

br.avery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
can anyone suggest a good 4gb memory card? and a fast memory card reader?

and i had a question about shooting in raw...
after i shoot in raw and do all of my editing in lightroom or photoshop.. i can convert it to jpeg right? is that the right thing to do?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Compact flash? Secure digital? Memory stick? Which card format does your camera use? Edit: and since it seems you're using a Macbook as mentioned in a different thread, I am assuming it's USB card readers you're interested in?

Your second question isn't all that clear to me, but was touched on in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/659470/] https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/659470/.

Pili

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
Orlando/Miami, FL
The only time I convert any of my images to jpeg is when I'm exporting for web viewing. Leave everything in raw just in case you want to go back later and edit more or print images.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Most people seem to like SanDisk cards, either the Ultra or Extreme series. I use an Ultra II, it's fast enough for me.

I think you should just have a look around amazon or similar for a car reader. Pick a known brand (that said, I do use some unbranded nonsense and have no problems).

Yes, once you have got your image how you want it you can export to a JPEG file for sending to a printers or putting on the web or something.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
can anyone suggest a good 4gb memory card? and a fast memory card reader?

and i had a question about shooting in raw...
after i shoot in raw and do all of my editing in lightroom or photoshop.. i can convert it to jpeg right? is that the right thing to do?

The brand of memory card seems to make almost zero difference. most of the brands are really just marketing and distribution companies as there are only a couple factories in Korea that actually make the memory inside.

As for a fast card reader, unless you want to spend $80 for a firewire reader they are all about the same. It is the card itself that determines the speed,

Yes of course you will need a JPG format file if you want to export the image to another program, send it to the web or email. Other formats might work also in special cases. Sometimes TIFF is better for some specialized uses or even PSD. Many people keep PSD versions. But JPG is universal and is the best choice unless you have a specialized need.

In a typical workflow using a non-destructive editor like Aperture (or LR) you would not convert an image to JPG until just before it is needed to be exported. You collection of images would be all in RAW format. Using a destructive workflow such as Adobe Camera RAW then the image is format converted as it moves through the workflow proxcess. from raw to PSD to JPG and you would likey archive the images at two or more stages. You have to select a work flow yourself, whichever that you like

Card reader speed is un-importent if you use a program like Aperture that allows you to begin work editing images as soon as the first image is transfered. Aperture does the image transfer in the background and lets you work an image as soon as that image is downloaded. It can transfer images faster then I can look at them so I don't care about speed. It is faster than me and that is good enough. I don't think Aperture is the only system that works this way.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
The brand of memory card seems to make almost zero difference. most of the brands are really just marketing and distribution companies as there are only a couple factories in Korea that actually make the memory inside.

Micron (Lexar) has fabs in Idaho and Virginia.

Also, depending on what you're doing, card reader speed can make a difference. I was at the Monterey Historic races a couple of years ago and filled up my cards in the morning with 8-10GB worth of images. I made the mistake of using LR to transfer the images to my laptop at lunchtime. Between the USB reader and the overhead of ingesting the images into LR, I barely had enough time or battery life to get the images onto my laptop. I have since switched to a firewire reader, and if time is of the essence I manually copy the files and import them into LR later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.