PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Beta - will be able to pay to make it "legit" when it's released?

spaceballl
Mar 11, 2009, 02:20 AM
I'm quite happy with Windows 7 right now. I use it for Outlook and a few other work-related tasks. Can I start using this as a primary install and then pay to upgrade? Or am I going to have to do a reinstall to get a legit version of the software?

And yeah i know there is torrenting... but i'm proud of having a 100% legal software computer :D

elgrecomac
Mar 11, 2009, 02:58 AM
I'm quite happy with Windows 7 right now. I use it for Outlook and a few other work-related tasks. Can I start using this as a primary install and then pay to upgrade? Or am I going to have to do a reinstall to get a legit version of the software?

And yeah i know there is torrenting... but i'm proud of having a 100% legal software computer :D

All indications are that you will be able to upgrade like I did with XP. BUT --- there is also the time-bomb issue: MS says the software will become inactive/non-functioning (what ever that means) some time mid-summer, but the commercially available software is not expected to be out at that time.

BTW, I agree with you: The software is actually quite good and remarkably stable for a 'beta'....hmmm, maybe Vista with all it quirkiness was a 'pre-beta' and we didn't know it! LOL.

steveza
Mar 11, 2009, 03:53 AM
The will be a public release candidate sometime around the 10th April which may have a later expiry date. In any case it is probably best to do a clean install of the RTM version to get the most stable/fastest system without any of the bugs that have been fixed by then.

Stridder44
Mar 11, 2009, 05:25 AM

As with most Microsoft betas, you have to do a clean install. But even so, you'd want to anyway. Rule of thumb: NEVER ever ever upgrade. Always do a clean install.

spaceballl
Mar 11, 2009, 12:16 PM
Okay thanks everyone - guess I won't do anything mission critical on this as it will "expire" soon :D

kastenbrust
Mar 11, 2009, 01:35 PM
As with most Microsoft betas, you have to do a clean install. But even so, you'd want to anyway. Rule of thumb: NEVER ever ever upgrade. Always do a clean install.

Thats ridiculous, every Microsoft beta since XP has only required a simple 200MB service pack and re-registration paying for a full license to turn it into the full working version