Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I'm quite happy with Windows 7 right now. I use it for Outlook and a few other work-related tasks. Can I start using this as a primary install and then pay to upgrade? Or am I going to have to do a reinstall to get a legit version of the software?

And yeah i know there is torrenting... but i'm proud of having a 100% legal software computer :D

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
I'm quite happy with Windows 7 right now. I use it for Outlook and a few other work-related tasks. Can I start using this as a primary install and then pay to upgrade? Or am I going to have to do a reinstall to get a legit version of the software?

And yeah i know there is torrenting... but i'm proud of having a 100% legal software computer :D

All indications are that you will be able to upgrade like I did with XP. BUT --- there is also the time-bomb issue: MS says the software will become inactive/non-functioning (what ever that means) some time mid-summer, but the commercially available software is not expected to be out at that time.

BTW, I agree with you: The software is actually quite good and remarkably stable for a 'beta'....hmmm, maybe Vista with all it quirkiness was a 'pre-beta' and we didn't know it! LOL.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
The will be a public release candidate sometime around the 10th April which may have a later expiry date. In any case it is probably best to do a clean install of the RTM version to get the most stable/fastest system without any of the bugs that have been fixed by then.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

As with most Microsoft betas, you have to do a clean install. But even so, you'd want to anyway. Rule of thumb: NEVER ever ever upgrade. Always do a clean install.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
As with most Microsoft betas, you have to do a clean install. But even so, you'd want to anyway. Rule of thumb: NEVER ever ever upgrade. Always do a clean install.

Thats ridiculous, every Microsoft beta since XP has only required a simple 200MB service pack and re-registration paying for a full license to turn it into the full working version

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.