Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swinchkak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Hi. I'm new here--first post. Having been a PC user my entire life, I've decided to switch, so when the next round of upgrades hit, I'm a Mac user. My question is kind of strange, possibly stupid: Is there any way to run my video game systems through a Mac to the Cinema Displays? I'm a console gamer, and I can only imagine how good it would look. I've thought about running it through a TV tuner, or even an adapter of some sort, but I was just hoping someone new of the best way, or even a way at all.
Thanks.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Answer

You could run it straight to a cinema display with the right adapter, but getting a tv tuner thru your mac is possible but impractical because it creates a slight lag (1-2) seconds, which is HUGE when playing video games.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
appleretailguy said:
You could run it straight to a cinema display with the right adapter, but getting a tv tuner thru your mac is possible but impractical because it creates a slight lag (1-2) seconds, which is HUGE when playing video games.

Is this a mac thing? Cause my tv tuner is in my pc. I can watch tv video on my pc and listen to the sound from my tv and they match up perfectly.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
No, not a mac thing

You can watch tv thru your mac just fine. It's the actual response from pushing the buttons on your controller that's the problem, not the video. But, like I said, a simple adapter directly to your cinema display should work just perfectly.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
appleretailguy said:
You can watch tv thru your mac just fine. It's the actual response from pushing the buttons on your controller that's the problem, not the video. But, like I said, a simple adapter directly to your cinema display should work just perfectly.

I just hooked my ps2 to my pc, it worked fine. Just as good as a tv.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay...

How did you do it then? Enlighten us. What kinds of games are you playing?

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
grapes911 said:
Is this a mac thing? Cause my tv tuner is in my pc. I can watch tv video on my pc and listen to the sound from my tv and they match up perfectly.

The problem is that all the Mac compatible tv tuners are external. There are a ton of PC tv tuners that are PCI based so they don't have the lag time that external tuners do. Under OS 9 on my G3 I used to use the ProTV tuner and it played video games just fine. On my iMac the eyeTV has about a 3-5 second lag as it converts the video signal and sends it to the computer.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Krizoitz said:
The problem is that all the Mac compatible tv tuners are external. There are a ton of PC tv tuners that are PCI based so they don't have the lag time that external tuners do. Under OS 9 on my G3 I used to use the ProTV tuner and it played video games just fine. On my iMac the eyeTV has about a 3-5 second lag as it converts the video signal and sends it to the computer.

There is a PCI TV card available for the Mac. Check AlchemyTV from Miglia

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Veldek said:
There is a PCI TV card available for the Mac. Check AlchemyTV from Miglia

This issue keeps appearing and i normally seem to be the one who resolves it but you got there before me.

I have this alchemy card and yes it works, I use it on my 17" cinema display for all my watching (freeview, ps2, vcr) pleasure

unfortunately it doesn't support 60hz and the quality looks bad, (although if you sit back from the computer then it looks just as good as any tv). In short it doesn't look as good as some lcd tv's I've seen but tis good.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Krizoitz said:

ahhhh! This makes more sense. Thank you for the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.