PDA

View Full Version : Classical music, let's talk about it

acidrock
Apr 4, 2004, 01:49 PM
What classical music do you like to listen to? When did you start to discover it? I love bach but i also listen to others like haydn. I want to start listening to international chamber music but I don't know what orchestras are good. Any recommendations?

dukemeiser
Apr 4, 2004, 10:01 PM
The English Chamber Orchestra is good. I've got them playing Canon in D by Pachelbel. If you're looking for composers to listen to try Beethoven and Chopin.

Daveman Deluxe
Apr 4, 2004, 10:56 PM
Well, undoubtedly the greatest composer of all time is Beethoven, though I'm not a big fan of his works as individual pieces, as a whole they are by far the most compelling opi out of all other composers...

The preeminent composers of the Baroque era were, of course, J.S. Bach (in fact, the year of his death, 1750, is considered to be the end of the Baroque era), and Handel, who wrote some marvelous operas and oratorios.

In the Classical era, you're looking mostly at Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, though Beethoven bridged the gap between the Classical era and the Romantic era.

The best composers of the Romantic era were undoubtedly Franz Schubert, famous for his song cycles "Die Schöne Müllerin" and "Wintereisse", Robert Schumann, noted for "Dichterliebe" and "Liederkreis", Chopin, who composed some of the most famous solo piano music even to this day, and Giuseppe Verdi and Richard Wagner, who composed excellent opera. Wagner's "Ring" opera is a sight to behold!

In the late Romantic and twentieth century, you have Ravel, Debussy, Berg, Stravinsky, and a host of other excellent composers.

dukemeiser
Apr 6, 2004, 08:43 PM
The "Bridal Entrance" song, the one played at a wedding when the bride begins walking down the aisle, was actually composed by Richard Wagner.

And Twinkle Twinkle (Little Star) was composed by a young Mozart.

I'm taking music appreciation this semester. I'm full of music knowledge.

adamjay
Apr 6, 2004, 11:12 PM
"Intermezzo Sinfonico" composed by Pietro Mascagni.. from the great opera "Cavalleria Rusticana" Its only strings and a flute, but what great movement and grace it was written with.

everyone has that one song that can just make the hairs on your arms stick right up, and the back of your throat clinch with joy, sadness, regret, and admiration all at once. No matter where you are or what you are doing, when you hear it it just grabs you. Intermezzo is my one song.

iTunes Music Store has about 10 or 11 versions.. but since it can really only be played one way (slow and savory), they are all extremely similar... so i always get the longest recordings. (gotta get the most out of my pepsi caps)

macka
Apr 6, 2004, 11:18 PM
If you like awesome piano pieces, try Chopin.

Chamber music...personally I wouldn't know, but try something Australian. ;)

Heart Break Kid
Apr 7, 2004, 06:29 PM
2 pieces in constant repeat

1. Yo-Yo Ma's rendition of Bach's Cello Suite, No.1, Prelude
2. Chopin - Waltz in C#

Duff-Man
Apr 7, 2004, 10:26 PM
Duff-Man says...the heavy stuff....Bartok, Stravinsky, Prokofiev...and the "weird" stuff...Stockhausen, Penderecki, Ligeti, Nyman....but a soft spot for Dvorak too....oh yeah!

howard
Apr 8, 2004, 12:40 AM
I enjoy impressionist classical music such as debussy and ravel

by debussy try
claire de lune
or prelude a l'apres-midi du'un faune

ravel
pavane pour une infante defunte

also i love schumann, traumerei (dreaming) is one of the most beautiful piano pieces i've heard...only one that contends is pavane pour une infante defunte