Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
My black Macbook hard drive failed. I booted the system using the Leopard DVD and ran Disk Utility, but the drive could not be seen. I am going to replace the hard drive and do a 'fresh' OS install.

I had been running Time Machine and I know that I can do a full recovery from that, but I would like to try a clean install and then just add my data back in after I am done from Time Machine.

In regards to documents, etc I know what to do, but what about my email, etc. Do I just recover the specific folders and the apps will take care of the rest?

Thanks.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Once you have done a fresh install,attach the Time Machine drive then open Mail. Then go back to Time Machine (from the dock or the menu bar) and it should show you Mail (within Time Machine) and there will be a large box in the middle to recover your email boxes.....

Far as I know it should work fine.

scottrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
It turned out to be fairly simple. After rebuilding the Macbook, I used the migration assistant to pull in all my stuff from Time Machine. I am stunned at how well it all worked. Thanks for the assist logana.

I am contemplating rebuilding my PC and will spend hours reinstalling apps and hoping that I remembered to backup all my data/bookmarks/etc. Apple still knows how to do it right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.