Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Okay, hopefully this will make sense.

There's a popular app on the App Store right now called Textfree [App Link], which enables people to text using their service. They can send/receive without having to worry about costs, as it uses this app and not AT&T. I've got an iPhone with a text plan; however, I work in a building with bad cell signal. Does anyone know: can someone else text me at my cell phone number, and have it be received through this app? Because this works over wi-fi, I'd still get the message in my building.

If anyone knows the answer, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Luminator

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
I believe the only way this would happen is if you initiated the text messaging and they reply to your message. In the options, you can turn on Textfree to Textfree allowing the service to intercept messages and re-route them to the app or email notification if the app is not running.

rrballer11

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
If you buy this app does it still have that stupid number when you send a text or that annoying email looking thing?

iquanyin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
eugene
yes, you can

you can indeed. bad circumstances have left me using my iphone as a touch (ie, i have no carrier right now.) not only can you still use txtfree, if itunes fails to synch the app back after a restore (my tech issues are endless), you can still send ppl stuff via txtfree if they're ever replied to you via the app and the reply is in your email.

that's how you get replies if you're using it thru wifi. you have to set that up in the app.:)

iquanyin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
eugene
better when you buy full versio

i had the free one for awhile but my son complained it showed as being from whatever random number it grabbed. he said when i got the free version it showed as being from me.

radonja

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
i think it still have the number (stupid)...
happy.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.