Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Yeah. In the 2.5" size, 500GB 7200 RPM drives are the best available at the moment.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
If you take out the optical drive, it is possible to have 2TB in the Mac Mini.

How? The most I've seen is 1TB (via ifixit's kit), but even then that was by using a 500GB in the hard drive spot and a 500GB (rather hackishly) in the optical drive spot. The same approach would work for 2TB, I guess, but 1TB 2.5" hard drives don't yet exist.

I suppose you could then RAID0 them into 1TB, except then if either one of the drives goes, everything goes. :/

Old Mac Geezer

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2007
I notice that most people doing upgrades are going for 320 gb drives. Is that the maximum the minis can take?

I think 320 is the largest you can order from the Apple store. Given how hard it is to get inside a Mini, I'd order one fully loaded instead of trying to upgrade it later.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
You're just all about making things have ludicrously more storage space than they're designed to, aren't you? :D

Yeah, you know what they say - it's the size that matters. :D

So what's the price for one of these terabyte SSDs?

No, I was just being facetious. At this point, I'd only get an SSD for a notebook. But I'm sure one day we'll all think that 1 TB SSD drives are too small for any serious computer work.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Yeah, you know what they say - it's the size that matters. :D

No, I was just being facetious. At this point, I'd only get an SSD for a notebook. But I'm sure one day we'll all think that 1 TB SSD drives are too small for any serious computer work.

No. That day we as consumers wont have hard drives. Everything will be online, everywhere. You will stream 1080p movies from your cellphone from your "cyberdrive" to your buddys TV.

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
What would the benefit be of putting a 7200 rpm drive in a mini given the fact that the 9400 M integrated graphics may bottleneck the system? Sorry but I'm just trying to understand what the benefit of changing the drive would be in a system with the 9400 M.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Rudimentary skills with a putty knife isn't too much for a lot of us. Don't be afriad! It's easy!

Getting inside isn't the only issue. The HD temp sensor and the WIFI antennas have presented some difficulty. Several users have broken or pinched these connections. For some people, paying a service center $80 to install the RAM and disk is worth the peace of mind. I paid to have it installed even though I've taken my out of warranty 2006 MBP completely apart to change the screen. I just didn't want to mess around inside my brand new mini.

Cheers,

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
What would the benefit be of putting a 7200 rpm drive in a mini given the fact that the 9400 M integrated graphics may bottleneck the system? Sorry but I'm just trying to understand what the benefit of changing the drive would be in a system with the 9400 M.

The 9400M isn't going to be a bottleneck for a 7200RPM drive

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Now that I put my new ram I kinda regret not putting a bigger HD even though I put the majority of my files on my external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.