Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Aaron Adams posted a website detailing his computer background and decision to switch to Macintosh.

In early 2001, a small Apple retailer opened up down the street. Every time I would drive by, I'd become more and more curious about the place. I started to think that maybe, just maybe, Macintosh might be a good alternative to my troublesome PC. I had been reading about Mac OS X and it's Unix foundation. I still remembered quite a bit about Unix from my college days, all of it good. A Mac OS based on a Unix variant sounded like it could be a powerful and reliable. And there was no doubt that Apple made beautiful computers. The Aqua UI was easy on the eyes also. (Hey, if you have to stare at a computer for hours every day, it might as well be attractive.) I was finally overwhelmed by my curiosity and one Saturday morning I took at trip to my local Mac store.

Aaron Adams, Patrick Gant, and Damon Wright
have added their comments in the MacRumors forums.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
thats a great read. the Aaron Adams commercial is actually my favorite, i think he came across extremely well.

now for the million dollar question to all of our newly joined celebs.........

what browser do you use??

djcobb44

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2001
My first mac and $.02

I bought my first mac before the release of OS X. I loved the hardware and heard so much about how it (Mac OS 9) was better/easier than Windows (from the Mac-Zeolots of course). I decided to take that leap of faith and purchased my first laptop, a g3 pismo powerbook. The laptop was great, however, the more I used OS 9, the more I questioned myself about the purchase of the powerbook. I found Mac OS 9 very awkward. It felt primitive and weak, like I was back in the dark days of Windows 3.1. No multitasking, locating an app cluttered the desktop with hundreds of windows, rebuilding the desktop? I thought this was supposed to be a no-brainer OS here. The interface was, well, interesting looking, manually allocating memory for each app was something new I had to learn about. Restarting the computer everytime an app crashed. At the time, it made since why Apple's market share was as low as it was, a weak OS just doesn't make the hardware usable or enjoyable. To make a long story short, If it wasn't for Mac OS X, I'd be back to using Windows. I can't imagine why anyone would want to stick with classic, unless you are stuck in a '80's time warp. Today, I will gladly tell anyone, "I am a Mac-Head."

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
cool

Very cool article...this is what I keep trying to tell home pc users. I have only converted 3 of 6 family members so far (I'm one of 7) and have converted one in-law. I'm now working on a friend who is ready to buy the new imac but we're going to wait until after July 17th...just to see if the new imac get any kind of upgrade.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
I've been trying to convert my friends for 10 years. Sadly enough it wasn't me in the end who convinced my friend. It's was FinalCut Pro 3. After enough bashing him about it making his Premiere look like a joke he finalyl caved in. So whatever comes out at MWNY is his computer. Perhaps i should post a few articles on conversion techniques. Hmmm, well to all my fellow mac zelots, here's the main tip: Step 1) Figure out what they need to get done on their PC. Office, Internet, eMail, whatever. Step 2) Show them the macintosh equivilents (be prepaired with knowledge of mac os x, future software upgrades, and obscure 3rd partys apps). Step 3) Show them the genie effect. Step 4) Show them what the digital hub can do for their interest/hobby (iDVD, iTunes, iMovie, and iPhoto are your best bets). Step 5) Tell them some jibberish they won't understand, but if they're the technical types tell them G4 is 128-bit, PCs are all 32-bit. Macs have dual processors, and then show them the chart here: http://a772.g.akamai.net/7/772/51/4e3818448242e2/www.apple.com/powermac/images/dvd_chart01222002.gif and that a lot of other things run just as fast. Step 6) Show them the genie, again. Step 7) Show them that after they add a LCD, a CD-RW/Combo driver, Superdrive, and an optical mouse that they're still stuck with a Windows machine, with a ugly box, horrible software, and an extra $100-$200 bucks.

Don't forget that AppleWorks opens Word and Excel, and that Office v.X is kick arse. VirtualPC exists. Unreal Tournament, Medal of Honor, Wolfenstein, WarCraft3, and Giants are all for macs. Finish it off with the custom-photo OSX screen saver. You got a mac convert unless they're a) stingy SOBs, b) obsessed with Half-Life or needs Jedi Knights NOW. c) Hates Apple for no reason, d) Can honestly prove he demands to have smoothed scrolling in Internet Explorer.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX) ...You got a mac convert unless they're a) stingy SOBs, b) obsessed with Half-Life or needs Jedi Knights NOW. c) Hates Apple for no reason, d) Can honestly prove he demands to have smoothed scrolling in Internet Explorer.
... or needs to run a version of QuickBooks from THIS DECADE! (Dang it Intuit pisses me off!!!)

AaronAdams

As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)
Jun 19, 2002
Dayton, OH
Originally posted by sparkleytone
thats a great read. the Aaron Adams commercial is actually my favorite, i think he came across extremely well.

now for the million dollar question to all of our newly joined celebs.........

what browser do you use??

Thank you :) I'm always very flattered when people dish out the compliments.

As for browsers, I use IE 5.2. It's the fastest one on my little iBook, and it renders pages correctly practically every time. I tried Mozilla, but it was too slow for me. I like Chimera, but it's still in development. I used OmniWeb for a while, but it just renders too many pages wrong (Look at my page with OmniWeb sp 91 - and my page is about as simple as it can be.) and doesn't display the frames on my bank's web page correctly.

Aaron

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by AaronAdams

Thank you :) I'm always very flattered when people dish out the compliments.

As for browsers, I use IE 5.2. It's the fastest one on my little iBook, and it renders pages correctly practically every time. I tried Mozilla, but it was too slow for me. I like Chimera, but it's still in development. I used OmniWeb for a while, but it just renders too many pages wrong (Look at my page with OmniWeb sp 91 - and my page is about as simple as it can be.) and doesn't display the frames on my bank's web page correctly.

Aaron

Why does he get an icon? He only has 3 posts? Oh yeah he's on TV. I need one of those...

I'm really hoping MS delivers on a polished browser for Jaguar. I know they could code the thing better (read the MSNBC page on poor coding, thanks for the link Aaron). And with Jaguar delivering hardware Quartz MS could probably deliver a browser that scrolls smoother than the hive's.. er WinXP's version. Since Quartz could handle more of the rendering, and thus more could be done in the video card, as opposed to XP with it's more tranditional 2D acceleration.

Welcome to the Mac community Aaron Adams.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Of course, on the other side of the coin, Aarons web page being served by iTools, has hit the bandwidth limit...

AaronAdams

As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)
Jun 19, 2002
Dayton, OH
Originally posted by Wry Cooter
Of course, on the other side of the coin, Aarons web page being served by iTools, has hit the bandwidth limit...

I was afraid of that. I had an update to post and I can't. Can anyone offer some help?

Aaron

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
iTools is a joke

More proof that Apple has gone crazy with those bandwidth limits. A simple page with a few pictures gets shut down in a few hours, because a few hundred people look at it. What a joke. iTools is no longer a feature of the OS, since it is totally worthless unless you only want to look at your page once.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
I think there's a way to buy more iTools space on the mac.com page, and that increases the bandwidth, too...

I would think Apple would give their TV stars a little more bandwidth, though :rolleyes: :D

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)

Why does he get an icon? He only has 3 posts? Oh yeah he's on TV.

Welcome to the Mac community Aaron Adams.

Exactly. I have been on TV but not as often or as recently as Aaron. Now if Aaron would only do the talk show circuit and show windows apps and hardware running on a mac . . .

Rocketman

BernieC

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2002
Originally posted by AaronAdams

I was afraid of that. I had an update to post and I can't. Can anyone offer some help?

Aaron

Aaron, I could set up a directory on my site (technojunkie.org) for you if you want. I don't have the bandwidth limitations that Apple does. I should be able to handle your page. Just let me know what you'd like the directory to be named.

You can e-mail me at berniec-AT-technojunkie-DOT-org.

Thanks,
Bernie

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by MasterX (OSiX)
Step 1) Figure out what they need to get done on their PC. Office, Internet, eMail, whatever.

I think this is an excellent guideline for people to follow. Even if buying a computer, ask yourself: what do I need it for? If you are just going to do word processing, e-mail, and web browsing, then you don't need a GeForce 4 Ti video card!

A couple of months ago my brother actually got in contact with me to ask for my advice. [Note: my brother is an ego-centric hermit, so this was quite a shock]. He was getting fed up with his computer continually dying...whether it be hardware or software ... usually both. So he was scouting around for an Apple computer. He still hasn't made the plunge, and if I get a good job, I just might have to buy him one. But I've asked him, what will it take to get him to buy a Mac?

His response: "Everquest on the Mac."

Now, I don't see this happening, but there are a couple of other games he has his eyes on like Shadowbane and Neverwinter Nights which will be coming to the Mac. So, perhaps a few more hardware crashes might sway my brother enough to come over to the other side of the computing world.

One thing that is kind of silly and sad about this world is the number of people who probably use their computers primarily for just the three things I noted earlier: 1. word processing (or other office suite programs); 2. e-mail; 3. web browsing. With that in mind, note that pretty much any major OS in the past 7 years (if not even older) can do all of those. So why are PC's supposedly so popular in the office and at home? Well, that is another can of worms entirely.

As for Aaron's web article, I enjoyed the part about how too much BASIC programming ruined a good potential C programmer. Fortunately for myself, I didn't get too hooked onto BASIC, even though it was the first language I began to tinker around with. But...my first major exposure to a programming language was in Ada 95. My university eventually wised up to the fact that when it comes to Ada...well...NO ONE CARES! Knowing Java and C has proved to be much great of assets to the students.

Sheldonc

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2002
California
Aaron, thanks for your candid comments on using a Macintosh. Having someone who truly knows the PC front-to-back and giving a comparison to a Mac is a breath of fresh air. Too often I encounter people who have some sort of axe to grind, so neither the Mac nor the PC get accurate assessments.

I, too, have been using computers forever. I cut my computer teeth on old DEC mainframes. So using the Mac has been a fairly informed decision for me.

I also have a secret I tell people: when you think of art, do you necessarily think "computers"? And yet the Mac tends to be the preferred platform for artists, the majority of whom are not computer engineers. And yet look at the stuff they can do!

Hey, the Mac isn't perfect, but it's a heck of alot easier to use than anything else!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.