Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiwiTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Washington, DC
I am working on an app which uses LBS (location based service). To utilize this feature do we have the pay the service provider everytime we access the location of an iPhone? Any help here will be appreciated.

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
I am working on an app which uses LBS (location based service). To utilize this feature do we have the pay the service provider everytime we access the location of an iPhone? Any help here will be appreciated.

Do you mean CoreLocation? If so, no, it's free.

jnic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Cambridge
Yes, it's part of it. I'm not aware of anything in the SDK that requires developers to pay per use (or indeed at all).

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I meant using the GPS feature. Is this same as CoreLocation?
Core Location is the framework for retrieving the user's current location. Although it can use GPS, it also is capable of using cell-tower triangulation as well as WiFI location. Which of these the device is using is transparent to the user and not controllable. You simply get an estimated lat/long and an accuracy for that location. You can read more about this in the "Getting the User's Current Location" section of the iPhone Application Programming Guide.

KiwiTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Washington, DC
Core Location is the framework for retrieving the user's current location. Although it can use GPS, it also is capable of using cell-tower triangulation as well as WiFI location. Which of these the device is using is transparent to the user and not controllable. You simply get an estimated lat/long and an accuracy for that location. You can read more about this in the "Getting the User's Current Location" section of the iPhone Application Programming Guide.

Thank you both!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.