Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Origin8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Origin8 Technologies are pleased to announce the first update for their fan favourite iPhone Tower Defense game, ‘Sentinel’. New features in Sentinel v1.1 include:

- A fast forward button which toggles double-speed gameplay.
- A Friend Challenge feature. Compete with friends to beat each other's top scores.
- Minor bugfixes.

‘Sentinel Lite’ is also now available on the App Store! This free teaser version of the hit sci-fi strategy pits the player against 40 levels of alien aggressors, with four difficulty settings from ‘Easy’ to ‘Psycho’.

sentinel.jpg

You are commander of the dropship Sentinel. You must defend a distant colony from the alien hordes in this stunning new evolution of tower defense.

Protect key structures which block the enemies' path as the aliens smash their way towards your stronghold. Utilize an array of advanced technology including upgradeable towers and droids which can repair buildings or harvest resources.

- Unique tactical gameplay which takes tower defense to the next level.
- Use the landscape and destroyable defenses to maximize the effectiveness of your weapons.
- Beautifully rendered environments, towers and enemies.
- Endurance mode to challenge the most hardened of players.
- Compete with players worldwide with the online high score system. View and compare scores seamlessly with the in-game score browser.
- Save your progress whenever you want. Automatically saves during a call.

Check out the gameplay in our trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWKDs2BUfE

Sentinel: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305974985&mt=8

Sentinel Lite: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307094771&mt=8

For more information, screenshots and gameplay footage visit http://www.origin8.com/sentinel. We'd love to hear your feedback, either in this thread or on our dedicated forums.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the game!

Team Origin8

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Where's the love?

I just found out about this game yesterday just searching around the Appstore.

I must say this game is AWESOME! If not the best TD game and the graphics and gameplay is amazing!

I'm very surprised and shocked to be the first response and only 157 views on this thread since Mar 13th. If you like Fieldrunners or any other TD game, you should definitely check this game out.

I hope the developers release more maps and enemies on their next update.

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
This is a great game!

As the previous poster, i came across it just browsing the AppStore.

In the next update, i'd like more maps, maybe more weapons and the easy mode to be easier! lol

:)

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
A very classic example of a new app...LOST...in all the code garbage. No one saw it because of the code posts or just do not come here anymore!!!
I also own this game and love it.

REST my CASE!

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
A very classic example of a new app...LOST...in all the code garbage. No one saw it because of the code posts or just do not come here anymore!!!
I also own this game and love it.

REST my CASE!

Such a shame. They should really make a separate thread for those code posts. Like YESTERDAY mods!

Tradewind

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
It's sad and unfortunate how anyone could get addicted to a game that only has text... is it that psychologically thrilling to see "$45824523052323592352" on a small screen?
On topic, I looked at Sentinel in the store. It looks promising and has fairly good reviews, however the reason it's not popular is probably due to the price. At $4.99, it is currently the most expensive tower defense game in the iTunes store. Fieldrunners, on the other hand, won numerous significant awards, and is competing even against PC/console games, and is only $2.99. Tap Defense, while not as good as Fieldrunners, is still decent and it's completely free. Most customers would of course buy the award-winning and much cheaper (or free) game. I wouldn't buy a tower defense game for $4.99 no matter how good it is, because the concept is simple, the game is easy to make compared to RPGs, and there are many fish in the ocean for much cheaper prices. And yes $2 difference for an application that only costs less than $5 is a 40% difference, and that is a lot.

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
It's sad and unfortunate how anyone could get addicted to a game that only has text... is it that psychologically thrilling to see "$45824523052323592352" on a small screen?
On topic, I looked at Sentinel in the store. It looks promising and has fairly good reviews, however the reason it's not popular is probably due to the price. At $4.99, it is currently the most expensive tower defense game in the iTunes store. Fieldrunners, on the other hand, won numerous significant awards, and is competing even against PC/console games, and is only $2.99. Tap Defense, while not as good as Fieldrunners, is still decent and it's completely free. Most customers would of course buy the award-winning and much cheaper (or free) game. I wouldn't buy a tower defense game for $4.99 no matter how good it is, because the concept is simple, the game is easy to make compared to RPGs, and there are many fish in the ocean for much cheaper prices. And yes $2 difference for an application that only costs less than $5 is a 40% difference, and that is a lot.

Exactly. Sentinel kind of missed the boat on the whole tower defense thing. If you're going to come into it this late in the game, you can't have a price that high. $5 is just way too high for a TD game, especially given all of the competition out there.

Origin8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
App store pricing is an odd, volatile field, and of course underpricing a product can prove just as detrimental as overpricing it (though I'm sure the average consumer prefers the former ;)) It's good to see some discussion of the issue.

Right now our focus is on making sure there's a good reason for Sentinel to be relatively expensive. We've got a major content update in the works that basically boils down to 'lots more of everything', including new gameplay elements. Naturally, we think Sentinel is worth $4.99 now, but after the update it'll be a big, complex game and the bang-per-buck will be through the roof.

If you want to keep an eye on our progress, check our announcements forum: http://origin8.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30, or our Twitter: http://twitter.com/Origin8

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
App store pricing is an odd, volatile field, and of course underpricing a product can prove just as detrimental as overpricing it (though I'm sure the average consumer prefers the former ;)) It's good to see some discussion of the issue.

Right now our focus is on making sure there's a good reason for Sentinel to be relatively expensive. We've got a major content update in the works that basically boils down to 'lots more of everything', including new gameplay elements. Naturally, we think Sentinel is worth $4.99 now, but after the update it'll be a big, complex game and the bang-per-buck will be through the roof.

If you want to keep an eye on our progress, check our announcements forum: http://origin8.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30, or our Twitter: http://twitter.com/Origin8

It's still just another tower defense game. That fad seems to be dying a bit; you seem to have missed the boat. Given that, I wouldn't expect massive success unless you price it a bit more competitively with the other TD games.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I'm definitely going to try out the Lite version, but I agree -- $4.99 seems a bit steep at least to start out with. Promotions, starting a bit lower and then ramping the price back up to $4.99 AFTER your new content update would make more sense.

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
I tried the lite version, enjoyed it so spent the £ and got the full version - have to say it really is great and addictive, even if it is hard at points!

I've definately had my money's worth so far, but really look forward to the update :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.