Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NSK123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
I tried installing XP directly onto my new Alu MB yesterday and it didn't work ofcourse, just got stuck during the XP install.

The thing is that I do not need Leopard OSX at all, I just want Windows XP (please spare me the "why buy MB if.." questions)

But as far as I can see is windows Dependend on OSX and bootcamp being installed? after installing XP with bootcamp there is 4 partitions as show here
[img=http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2376/partition.jpg]

GPT partition 200mb
OSX partition 18.8GB
unallocated partiton 129mb .. what's this?
XP partition 129GB

what would happen if I deleted the 19GB OSX partition and the 129mb whatever it is partition? and just left the GPT and XP partition.

Would the computer boot? or would that be a nono?

labyrinth23

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
First to answer your question, no it will not work. The XP install IS and always will be dependent on OSX and BOOTCAMP.

I know you said to spare you the "Why buy a mac..." questions. But seriously, what are you expecting? That you'll just buy it for the looks and get rid of everything installed in it? Look up the word proprietary, because everything mac is proprietary.

I don't understand why people think that they can buy a MAC product and expect to just erase the whole disk clean and then put whatever they want on it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm not so sure that's true.
As long as you ran Boot Camp, you should be able to delete the Mac OS X partition. I believe it loads a BIOS emulator for Windows to use (since it's an EFI), but as part of the boot ROM? No Mac OS X required.

However, I wouldn't remove Mac OS X solely because it's the only way you're going to get firmware updates for your hardware. No Mac OS X, no installing firmware updates. ;)

And finally, the unallocated space is always there. I have no idea what that GPT partition is.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You need OSX to install firmware updates.

Do you know how to use OSX? It's not windows and is very easy to learn.
apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/
apple.com/support/mac101/

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You need OSX to install firmware updates.

Do you know how to use OSX? It's not windows and is very easy to learn.

Some benefits of OSX include:
No virus
No inexplicable slow downs
UNIX 24/7 stability, extremely fast search, and many benefits

apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/
apple.com/support/mac101/

Trainwreck707

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
First to answer your question, no it will not work. The XP install IS and always will be dependent on OSX and BOOTCAMP.

Not true. You do not need OSX or Bootcamp to install Windows. I installed Windows on a separate internal HD with my OSX drive removed and never used Bootcamp. Bootcamp is basically a partitioning tool.

Bootcamp is a bit more important with a laptop because you are installing Windows on the same drive as OSX. If I were you I would start over leaving OSX intact and use Bootcamp. You can always make your OSX partition much smaller than Windows. As mentioned above, you may need to update the firmware and you may also find that you enjoy using OSX.

NSK123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Well it's not 10gb it's more like 20GB which I could use. I didn't think of firmware updates which I might need in the future.
Anyways I just reinstalled Leopard and did it the bootcamp way which also works but gives me 20gb less.

I like the MACBOOK but not the operating system, honestly it's heavy, bloated and too restricted, plus the user base is alot smaller than windows users, I like windows, I like being able to install my bootleg software without jumping through hoops and I like the wide variaty of software available for windows, unlike Apple's OS.
As labyrinth23 puts it, you can't put whatever you want on it, same applies to the Mac OS. Which I don't like. Steve Jobs is alot like Bill Gates if you think about it, I mean just look at the Iphone, great design, but a DISASTER when it comes to the software, luckily it's saved by people who actually create software that work for it. Unlike apple themselves

Also not to offend anyone who uses apple's Operating system, But the majority of Mac OSX users I have met have been.. Well less comfortable with computers and just want the click'n'go experience and feel that as long as it works they don't care if there is a better alternative.

to sum it up... I think Windows pwns Mac OSX in almost everything.

Apple creating designer lifestyle products = WIN
Apple creating software for designer lifestyle products = FAIL

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Well it's not 10gb it's more like 20GB which I could use. I didn't think of firmware updates which I might need in the future.
Anyways I just reinstalled Leopard and did it the bootcamp way which also works but gives me 20gb less.

I like the MACBOOK but not the operating system, honestly it's heavy, bloated and too restricted, plus the user base is alot smaller than windows users, I like windows, I like being able to install my bootleg software without jumping through hoops and I like the wide variaty of software available for windows, unlike Apple's OS.
As labyrinth23 puts it, you can't put whatever you want on it, same applies to the Mac OS. Which I don't like. Steve Jobs is alot like Bill Gates if you think about it, I mean just look at the Iphone, great design, but a DISASTER when it comes to the software, luckily it's saved by people who actually create software that work for it. Unlike apple themselves

Also not to offend anyone who uses apple's Operating system, But the majority of Mac OSX users I have met have been.. Well less comfortable with computers and just want the click'n'go experience and feel that as long as it works they don't care if there is a better alternative.

Apple creating designer lifestyle products = WIN
Apple creating software for designer lifestyle products = FAIL

That whole post was filled with opinions with no factual backing.

OS X is for people who like to be able to use a computer.
Windows is for people who have never used OS X.

And can you explain how restrictive OS X is? What is there that you want to do that OS X won't let you?

NSK123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
hehe, dude your whole post is just as filled with opinions with no factual backing. Told ye people not to give me the "why buy MB if.." questions
OS X is for people who like to be able to use a computer.
Windows is for people who have never used OS X.
According to who? You...? That's just your opinions with no factual backing, like mine. I guess this is the part where I say that you have never used Windows, and the discussing goes on in an infinit loop.

As I said there's alot of software that I can't run on osx, and the themeing scene is just dead, so you're stuck with a sucky theme. Grey and boring. It's just painful to run a bunch of alternative software that sucks quite a bit more than the best.

like the Gimp, Miranda IM etc etc. Sucky software for stubborn people.

Vaath

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009

So I guess me and my friends must defy these "less comfortable with computers" odds. I have been with computer since my first Commodore 64, so about 20 years. My father does information security and has been with computers 30+ years. My best friend does network infrastructure for a living.

Guess what? All Mac users! All with indepth knowledge of computers! So in your case you see what you want to see.

Beerfloat

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Irony is the guy who can't figure out how to install Windows by himself asking the 'less comfortable with computers' crowd for help. :eek:

NSK123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
As I said, don't get offended, just saying the whole OS is dumbed down and originally created in mind for people who tend to be less comfortable with computers. Just my opinion.

And fyi I didn't need help installing windows I know perfectly well how to do it via bootcamp my question was if it could work without OSX, how else would I find out other than ask people who use it everyday?

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
I like the MACBOOK but not the operating system, honestly it's heavy, bloated and too restricted, ..... I like being able to install my bootleg software without jumping through hoops ...

Everything you just said describes Windows not OSX.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I'd like to poke my head in this thread to inform the OP that there are, in fact, mac users who won't RAGE just because he has an opinion different from my own.

That is all.

:p

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
hehe, dude your whole post is just as filled with opinions with no factual backing. Told ye people not to give me the "why buy MB if.." questions

According to who? You...? That's just your opinions with no factual backing, like mine. I guess this is the part where I say that you have never used Windows, and the discussing goes on in an infinit loop.

As I said there's alot of software that I can't run on osx, and the themeing scene is just dead, so you're stuck with a sucky theme. Grey and boring. It's just painful to run a bunch of alternative software that sucks quite a bit more than the best.

like the Gimp, Miranda IM etc etc. Sucky software for stubborn people.

Just so you know, I used Windows up until last December of 2008, so I know how SUCKY it is.
Sucky software for sucky people who like to start controversy in Mac forums.
You don't deserve a MacBook.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Nope.

I don't understand why people think that they can buy a MAC product and expect to just erase the whole disk clean and then put whatever they want on it.

Be... cause it is possible?

I like windows, I like being able to install my bootleg software without jumping through hoops and I like the wide variaty of software available for windows, unlike Apple's OS.

Get out of our forum. I'm amazed that this slid by.

Says the guy who wasted money on a Mac.

And fyi I didn't need help installing windows I know perfectly well how to do it via bootcamp my question was if it could work without OSX, how else would I find out other than ask people who use it everyday?

Because we don't work with Windows every day, so how could we tell you that the OS will work reliably alone?

Just so you know, I used Windows up until last December of 2008, so I know how SUCKY it is.
Sucky software for sucky people who like to start controversy in Mac forums.
You don't deserve a MacBook.

And this, on the opposite end of the spectrum, is equally saddening to me. You can't respond to someone with a blind bias with your own blind bias and expect to get anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.