Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Anyone using anything decent or just chucking it in your bag and hoping it doesn't get scratched/dropped?

Currently using a modded leather square CD storage thingie, but it's a bit thick, kind of defeats the purpose. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fixed USB cable which gets snagged.

Strange that the usual suspects (Tucano etc.) haven't made a custom case for this peripheral.

still in school

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2009
Anyone using anything decent or just chucking it in your bag and hoping it doesn't get scratched/dropped?

Currently using a modded leather square CD storage thingie, but it's a bit thick, kind of defeats the purpose. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fixed USB cable which gets snagged.

Strange that the usual suspects (Tucano etc.) haven't made a custom case for this peripheral.

hmm, i've gotta try that cd case idea. i like it. theres not a custom case for it since not many people have the superdrive. it only works with the MBA so the numbers are limited, and the demand isn't there.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
Iv got a custom case for the super drive. Custom as in for the air super drive, not any external drive. No custom as in home made. I wouldn't have bought it myself, it came as an extra on ebay.

ehlfg

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
I use a Tom Bihn Superdrive Padded Organizer Pouch, which I bought with a Ristretto Messenger bag but which can be purchased separately as well. It's a nice little pouch with a zipper and a clip for attachment.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Do many people take the Superdrive out and about with them? Mine lives at home, it's quite rare that I need to use it.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Do many people take the Superdrive out and about with them? Mine lives at home, it's quite rare that I need to use it.
I do take it on travels but normally out of paranoia/failsafe if I'm giving a presentation or attending a meeting - where the one time you leave it at home, someone will produce a CD or DVD. Cue lots of derisive snorts at the lack of optical drive. And Remote Disk is pointless if you don't have any Macs in the vicinity/network, never mind Macs with the disc sharing software update installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.