PDA

View Full Version : O2 to Drop UK iPhone Prices in May?

MacRumors
Mar 13, 2009, 02:24 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/13/o2-to-drop-uk-iphone-prices-in-may/)

Mobile reports (http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/O2_lowers_iPhone_price_ready_for_new_handset.html) that UK carrier O2 is planning to cut prices on the iPhone in May ahead of an expected summer revamp of the device.The 3G iPhone will be free on its £35 and £45 per month tariffs from May. The 16GB version is currently only free on the £75 per month contract, while the 8GB handset is free only on the £75 and £45 per month deals.

Customers currently spend between £59 and £159 for an iPhone on the £35 and £45 monthly tariffs.Mobile believes that the summer revamp will come in June, or more likely July, of this year, which fits with Phil Schiller's previous comments (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/09/schiller-on-apples-yearly-product-timelines/) on Apple product cycles. Apple's recent announcement of a March 17th media event (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/12/apple-to-preview-iphone-os-3-0-on-march-17th/) also is suggestive of last year's pattern of a March media event (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/05/live-coverage-of-iphone-sdk-roadmap-event/) followed by a June announcement (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/09/apple-announces-iphone-3g/) and a July launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/10/iphone-3g-launches-photos-unboxing/).

Article Link: O2 to Drop UK iPhone Prices in May? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/13/o2-to-drop-uk-iphone-prices-in-may/)

Jowl
Mar 13, 2009, 02:34 PM
Boooo, I want my money back :mad:

:D

joshysquashy
Mar 13, 2009, 02:55 PM
If they reduce the contract prices, then I will be happy! I know they won't, they already did that when the tax cut arrived.

koollectablz
Mar 13, 2009, 03:11 PM
Well thats £159 I'm not gonna see again.

I can see me forking out full price for the new edition come summer and then trying to hide it from the little lady for the next 6 months... Oh joy.

danb77
Mar 13, 2009, 04:07 PM
Well thats £159 I'm not gonna see again.

I can see me forking out full price for the new edition come summer and then trying to hide it from the little lady for the next 6 months... Oh joy.

If this is true then the Iphone NexGen is a dead cert for a June release. :cool:

Pixellated
Mar 13, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well, I consider myself an early adopter, and I think that this is almost penalising their most loyal customers. The early adopters. What everyone really wants is a nice bump of their minutes and texts.

The Samurai
Mar 13, 2009, 04:18 PM
They really need to get their contract prices sorted.

koollectablz
Mar 13, 2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah, a couple 100 extra texts and minutes would make it easier to swallow for the peeps that already paid...

The Samurai
Mar 13, 2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, a couple 100 extra texts and minutes would make it easier to swallow for the peeps that already paid...

Not even that, their contract prices start from 35 notes a month. They need to bring it down to at least 25.

Pixellated
Mar 13, 2009, 05:16 PM
Not even that, their contract prices start from 35 notes a month. They need to bring it down to at least 25.

Acually, they have a £30/Month tariff, giving you a whole 75 Min/100 Texts!:p

The Samurai
Mar 13, 2009, 05:35 PM
they have a £30/Month tariff, giving you a whole 75 Min/100 Texts!:p

Ahhh yes, forgot about this great deal.

jimN
Mar 13, 2009, 05:50 PM
Phones have always cost more when first released and have never been in the habit of rewarding loyalty - they generally offer better deals to switchers vs new customers. We've been pretty lucky to have been allowed out of contracts early to upgrade to the 3G, and I know that it's not much but phone companies are traditionally gits.

Whining that we deserve something when we bought the phone for the price they set on the contracts that they offered makes no sense - early adoption bought you months of additional use!

koollectablz
Mar 13, 2009, 06:17 PM
I'd still moan if they gave it to me for free and had Steve Jobs come over and show me how to Jailbreak it.

nick9191
Mar 13, 2009, 06:23 PM
Sweet :)

iPhone 3rd gen in June

davidjearly
Mar 13, 2009, 06:23 PM

That also includes an unlimited data plan, which makes the tariff prices reasonable.

CrackedButter
Mar 13, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hold on, why does O2 owe anybody, because you were an adopted early? You signed a contract agreeing to the terms they set out, surely that is fair and you got what you wanted, and enjoyed since then?

OllyW
Mar 13, 2009, 08:26 PM
Acually, they have a £30/Month tariff, giving you a whole 75 Min/100 Texts!:p

Ahhh yes, forgot about this great deal.

It's the best deal going if you only use that many minutes and texts. :p

With the 20 minutes free on Treats, it's an ideal tariff for me. I wouldn't complain if they dropped the price though. :D

Dagless
Mar 13, 2009, 10:19 PM
Oh that's cool. I'll probably get an iPhone around then and spend that £160 on an Xbox or something :). That £35/mo tariff is perfect for me.

gkarris
Mar 13, 2009, 10:28 PM
Can someone translate to American? :eek:

How come lovely AT&T doesn't give away the iPhone for free? They should at some of their package prices... :mad:

DoubleU
Mar 14, 2009, 02:35 AM
O2 has always provided better deals than AT&T for the iPhone but they're just doing this to clear out their inventory before the next version.

Jowl
Mar 14, 2009, 04:50 AM
Yep, we were early adpoters and paid for it. My iPhone has been worth every penny of the £159 I spent (twice....as my other half wanted one when she saw mine!)

I think the contracts are reasonable given they include data. I have more minutes and texts than I use in a month. I do hope O2 would allow us to upgrade to a new iPhone (although I'd only upgrade for some significant hardware upgrades - not just memory bumps)

Beaverfish
Mar 14, 2009, 06:23 AM
What's the betting the will reduce the price of the 3G just so they can clear their old stock. The new iphone that comes out (whenever it does) will be the same price as the current plans if not more ......:rolleyes:

elppa
Mar 14, 2009, 06:24 AM
Did anyone folllow through to this link. Not directly related but it makes a good candidate for the I have no idea about Apple's business and I'm going to spend the next article proving it award:

New iPhone could be bad news for O2 (http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Will_new_iPhone_be_good_for_O2.html?terms=o2+iPhone&fragment=&SearchType=&terms=o2%20iPhone)
We are, I believe, just three or four months away from the next Apple landmark. Will the next iPhone be a top-end replacement; another £500 all singing, all dancing piece of Apple statement making
When was the iPhone ever £500? Even on O2 Pay and Go the top model still doesn't go over £400. The first one was ~£260. I can't remember that exact price.

or a pared-down, circa £250 mass-market ‘Nano’ phone.
A top-end device would repeat Apple’s model in iPods and MacBooks of succession products.
No it wouldn't because the business models for Mac and iPod are completely different.

Apple have consistently lowered the price of iPod after its introduction in 2001 to make it a mass market device. They have more recently aggressively lowered the price of the touch in order to pick up market share for the OS X Mobile WiFi Platform by sacrificing profits in the short term.

Meanwhile Apple has positioned the Mac slightly differently in order to maximise margins for that division. There is no point chasing the razor thin margins of PC OEMs as it harms the product which in turn harms the platform.

The major reason the iPod and iPhone are so competitively priced and still profitable is because Apple have leveraged their dominant market position to score very favourable pricing on one of the most expensive components: flash memory.

It follows a rationale that there is a large but limited number of high-spending, gadget-hungry Apple followers, who can be trusted to regularly open their wallets on updates to their existing iPod or laptop.
Large but limited? How does that work? As many iPhone owners are owning an Apple product for the first time this argument falls apart fairly quickly.

OllyW
Mar 14, 2009, 06:32 AM
What's the betting the will reduce the price of the 3G just so they can clear their old stock. The new iphone that comes out (whenever it does) will be the same price as the current plans if not more ......:rolleyes:

All the UK mobile companies do this. When the latest top of the range phone is released, it is free on the most expensive contracts and you usually have to pay £50-£200 on the mid range and cheaper contracts.

After a couple of months, it will be free on the mid range contracts and £50-£100 on the cheap contracts. Then, after six months it is free on all contracts.

A few months later, the new replacement model is released and the cycle starts all over again.

sjo
Mar 14, 2009, 09:17 AM
All the UK mobile companies do this. When the latest top of the range phone is released, it is free on the most expensive contracts and you usually have to pay £50-£200 on the mid range and cheaper contracts.

After a couple of months, it will be free on the mid range contracts and £50-£100 on the cheap contracts. Then, after six months it is free on all contracts.

A few months later, the new replacement model is released and the cycle starts all over again.

this is quite natural since the price the carriers have to pay for a model generally decreases as the model gets older. afaik apple has tried to maintain the price of iphone stable (with the exception of the first price correction couple of months after 1st gen iphone release).

the discounts on iphone have occurred when the carriers have wanted/needed to sell out their excess inventories (especially in germany and in the uk). given that there're about 2m iphones in the channel it's quite safe to predict discount sales all over starting in about one month...

ftored
Mar 14, 2009, 09:32 AM
No mention of pay as you go devices though? anyone know anything about them?

haydn!
Mar 14, 2009, 11:07 AM
I think the reference to the handset being £500 in the link provided a few posts back is actually a reference to the cost to O2 not the customer. It's already been stated Apple wanted in excess of $500 per handset from any operator in China. It's likely they have similar deals with the existing providers, including O2.

O2 will be subsidizing the handset cost massively, as they do with all handsets on contract. They make the money back through call charges.

Do we think O2 will retail the new handsets for the same prices on their release, i.e £99 for a 16GB and £160? for a 32GB,

archipellago
Mar 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
no surprise, demand over here for iPhone has been dismal to say the least...at least since Xmas.

A better tariff and better carrier would help...

OllyW
Mar 14, 2009, 03:13 PM
no surprise, demand over here for iPhone has been dismal to say the least...at least since Xmas.

Got any evidence?

I thought it was selling quite well (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/26/iphone-uk-sales-reach-1-million-mark/). :confused:

archipellago
Mar 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
Got any evidence?

I thought it was selling quite well (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/02/26/iphone-uk-sales-reach-1-million-mark/). :confused:

no nothing linkable.

I have friends at O2 and they have been very disappointed with demand and sales post Xmas.

Other handsets seem to be holding up well.

CalumC
Mar 14, 2009, 03:36 PM
no nothing linkable.

I have friends at O2 and they have been very disappointed with demand and sales post Xmas.

Other handsets seem to be holding up well.

There just no value to the contract, I wouldn't mind forking out £35 (i'm not atm, waiting for iphone 3) if there was more texts and minutes. I know that the internet is thrown in, but still, 500 texts on a £35 contract? No ta.

archipellago
Mar 14, 2009, 03:43 PM
There just no value to the contract, I wouldn't mind forking out £35 (i'm not atm, waiting for iphone 3) if there was more texts and minutes. I know that the internet is thrown in, but still, 500 texts on a £35 contract? No ta.

well personally, I can't understand how anyone could use that many texts per month but each to their own I guess.

I just think its an average handset on an average tariff with a p!ss poor carrier.

Jowl
Mar 14, 2009, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure its an 'average' handset. I know it's popular to be an iPhone basher but I think it's a great handset. Sure, it's got some minor flaws and some 'Apple-isms' but everyone in the smartphone market is trying to copy and beat it right now.

Carrier - well, customer service wise O2 are much better than almost all other carriers I've been with. However, I think their 3G/Edge coverage lets them down.

sjo
Mar 14, 2009, 04:41 PM
Got any evidence?

the development of iphone safari usage share tracked by net applications has been good indicator of the development of iphone sales. take 7 days moving average from that data (the usage pattern changes according to the day of the week) and you can see that after the holiday season there hasn't been significant change in usage share.

haydn!
Mar 14, 2009, 05:15 PM
There could be more to this than just stock clearance. There has been rumors suggesting the iPhone may be moving to Orange for UK customers, and some strong alleged evidence to point to this move are Orange not chasing any of the new smart phone handsets coming out this year, and O2 signing up to sell the new Palm, which is set to be the iPhones biggest competitor handset yet.

This could be good news, as Orange do have a stronger network in the UK, and already sell the iPhone for Apple in most European countries. They also offer better price plans, and customer service in general...

ethical
Mar 14, 2009, 06:01 PM
There could be more to this than just stock clearance. There has been rumors suggesting the iPhone may be moving to Orange for UK customers, and some strong alleged evidence to point to this move are Orange not chasing any of the new smart phone handsets coming out this year, and O2 signing up to sell the new Palm, which is set to be the iPhones biggest competitor handset yet.

This could be good news, as Orange do have a stronger network in the UK, and already sell the iPhone for Apple in most European countries. They also offer better price plans, and customer service in general...

so if the iPhone moves to Orange, would all current O2 contract holders be shifted over to the Orange network. I left Orange to get an iPhone :rolleyes:

The Samurai
Mar 14, 2009, 07:32 PM

I really hope your wrong.

would all current O2 contract holders be shifted over to the Orange network.

Legally, they can not do that. It is for this reason I think its BS. That said, they could give Orange the rights to sell also - which 02 are going to be pissed off.

haydn!
Mar 14, 2009, 08:15 PM
Well, it might just be case of Orange being licensed to sell the new iPhone v3 to new customers, and O2 will only be allowed to to sell any remaining 3Gs they've got left in stock, but once they're gone, they're gone.

O2 will have a legal obligation to support all iPhone users until their contracts come to a natural end. Just in the same way they would with any people on a discontinued Nokia handset for example. Unless they chose to allow people to cancel early - but I cannot see O2 doing this. Nor can see both Orange and O2 operating side by side with a new iPhone handset.

Jowl
Mar 15, 2009, 05:03 AM
I don't see why we can't have 2 operators side by side. Surely Apple will have to do this eventually if they want to grow their market?

And it happens in other countries doesn't it?

I don't want to move (back) to Orange for a number of reasons. Customer service and My O2 broadband being 2 of them!

wfoster
Mar 15, 2009, 05:45 AM
If they're bringing down the contract prices for the iPhone, then they'll update the tariffs people are already on. I started on the £45 tariff, but then when they reduced it to £35 for the same minutes and I was automatically updated to the £35 tariff.

Wonder if they'll update it again.

archipellago
Mar 15, 2009, 09:32 AM
well unless Apple has changed the terms of the deal then I don't see who..in the current climate would want to do any sort of deal with Apple on the same terms as the O2 deal.

O2 pay 40% of their monthly revenue per customer to Apple.

Its only that reason that made Apple go with o2 in the 1st place.

Voda and Orange were the frontrunners early on but dropped out as they didn't want to pay the price.

However no one I've spoken to seems to know the length of the deal for certain so possibilities for a move.?

we'll see but I guess Orange are the only carrier out there with no exclusive phone deal. Wouldn't surprise me if o2 actually tried to get out of the deal too.

OllyW
Mar 15, 2009, 09:44 AM
well unless Apple has changed the terms of the deal then I don't see who..in the current climate would want to do any sort of deal with Apple on the same terms as the O2 deal.

O2 pay 40% of their monthly revenue per customer to Apple.

The revenue share deal was for the original 2G iPhone and was dropped with the introduction of the network subsidised 3G iPhone.

Cravendale
Mar 15, 2009, 11:48 AM
Great Stuff.

Currently on Orange, contracts up and rolling over each month, just anticipating the next few months...

mogzieee
Mar 15, 2009, 01:22 PM
This wouldn't surprise me. There are millions of other phones out there with better deals and cheaper prices for something with nearly all the same features. Hence why I don't have an iPhone... yet.

ibosie
Mar 15, 2009, 05:16 PM

There isn't a better carrier though. O2 have been quietly amazing with some of the best iPhone deals to be had anywhere. I still meet someone almost every week who just bought an iPhone. Unlimited internet and they even provide a user name to bypass web acceleration. I really like O2, a company which successfully runs some of the best music venues in the UK, provides some of the fastest internet to homes and continues to make improvements to the network which bodes well for future mobile devices and the types of services they can offer. The iPhone has changed O2 for the better, I'm almost certain Vodafone would have turned the affair into a stuffy, corporate event like they always do. O2 deserves its partnership with Apple.

EvanLugh
Mar 15, 2009, 06:12 PM
There isn't a better carrier though. O2 have been quietly amazing with some of the best iPhone deals to be had anywhere. I still meet someone almost every week who just bought an iPhone. Unlimited internet and they even provide a user name to bypass web acceleration. I really like O2, a company which successfully runs some of the best music venues in the UK, provides some of the fastest internet to homes and continues to make improvements to the network which bodes well for future mobile devices and the types of services they can offer. The iPhone has changed O2 for the better, I'm almost certain Vodafone would have turned the affair into a stuffy, corporate event like they always do. O2 deserves its partnership with Apple.

i'll have to agree with you on that one. Orange, although comes across as the number one in uk really isn't. O2 is catching up because of their support and services offered. Orange unsigned act - who gives a sugar, O2 arena - yeah, bring it on. Their WiFi connections (albeit through other partners) are exceedingly useful - i don't see other companies offering this? Or am i off the plot :confused::confused::o

haydn!
Mar 15, 2009, 06:59 PM
O2 don't actually own, or manage the O2 Arena. They've just leant their name, and brand. O2's relationship with the dome, is nothing more than a very huge sponsorship and marketing deal. The dome, and its facilities are owned and managed by AEG Worldwide. It's just the same arrangements as the Reebok stadium, or the Emirates Stadium, or the TRENT FM Arena.

No doubt in a few years, if someone comes along offering more cash, the O2 will become something different, but remain the same inside...

However, the thing you've identified is O2 have a very strong UK brand, the O2 name is not as strong in Europe (O2 trades largely as Telefonica in Europe), hence why other carriers have faired better in capturing more of the iPhone market share across these countries. However, the O2 UK brand does have a air of innovation about it, something which Apple may favor over Orange with innovation being a key aspect to the Apple brand.

aok1975
Mar 15, 2009, 07:51 PM

How come lovely AT&T doesn't give away the iPhone for free? They should at some of their package prices... :mad:

yep and also they dont pay for incomming calls.

leonstafford
Mar 15, 2009, 11:51 PM
In Japan, the phone has been offered for free for at least a few weeks now.

It is so tempting as they were asking $800 upfront at first.

But, it also means the next iPhone will probably blow it away and they are trying to get rid of their bricks now.... think I'll just save up the $800 for the next iteration....

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone/

PS> Info is only in the Japanese version of the site, and only for the 8GB iPhone 3G.

sagnier
Mar 16, 2009, 03:40 AM

i think you already swallowed it though...

toxikos
Mar 16, 2009, 05:01 AM
Has anyone asked O2 about these rumours?

fealthas
Mar 16, 2009, 12:06 PM
I work for O2 and as yet they have not mentioned anything about the price dropping or a new IPhone coming along. Obviously they know about it, but as with the launch of the 3G IPhone last year I no doubt will end up in London for a meeting about the new launch if and when it takes place. So hopefully I can update you guys closer to the time. :)

haydn!
Mar 16, 2009, 06:03 PM
Commercial sensitivity will keep any updates away from staff until the last minute.

toxikos
Mar 17, 2009, 06:06 AM
So if someone got the 3g around November they should be offered a discount on their tarrif ?

CalumC
Mar 17, 2009, 07:39 AM
So if someone got the 3g around November they should be offered a discount on their tarrif ?

Very doubtful. They don't legally owe you, so I can't imagine they feel the need to morally owe you.

nick9191
Mar 17, 2009, 08:08 AM

$0 for the phone + $50 p/m for 600 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data.

Right now the phone is $140 + above contract.

Lkhn562
Mar 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
I doubt it maybe down a pound or something but there not going to drop the prices unless they keep selling the iphone 3G whilst the next iphone comes out but i still doubt it also if they do would this also include pay as you go which is ok price just now £342 but you need to buy a tenner credit so it's £352 for the 8GB ?

Craigy Boy
Mar 20, 2009, 07:05 PM
Price drops confirmed, however you now have to go on a 2 year contract instead of 18 months.

"From April 3rd anyone who signs up for the £34.26 tariff will no longer have to pay the £96.89 upfront fee for the 8GB iPhone, whilst anyone signing up for the £44.05 tariff can now get an 16GB model with no upfront payment – previously this would have cost £57.74."

Read here (http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/28360/O2-reveals-iPhone-discounts) for more info

The Phazer
Mar 20, 2009, 07:24 PM
For an extra six months on your tariff, that's not much of a discount at all...

Phazer

macjock
Mar 24, 2009, 04:52 PM
So do we think the choice will be a free 3g in May or a paid 3rd gen in June?

A rake of people will have gotten a first gen iphone the christmas after the launch meaning the 18 month contract will be up in June. I think that will be a reasonable choice come the summer.

I've also went full circle on my thoughts on the loyalty bit to customers.

I don't think apple/O2 owe anything to any customer that has paid for a contract only to see a better one or new model emerge a few months later.

I think the problem lies in the fact that all 2 iphones so far have the same name and it islikely the third gen will also be called the same (with perhaps another addition like 3g was added to the original)

I used to have Nokia phones all the time and I once bought a N70 only to see I think it was the N95 or similar come out soon afterwards. Never did it enter my head that I should be given one of these new models cheap or have mine upgraded, because that is exactly what they were ... new models.

The same is true of the iphone. Each iteration is really an entirely new piece of equipment, it just happens to share the same name as it's predecessor.

It's not the phone you bought.

archipellago
Mar 28, 2009, 04:43 AM
I was speaking to someone in the exec office yesterday, and they said they have literally no demand for the 3g at the moment, in store or online.

Most of the shops don't have any signage for it and it isn't being promoted.

Wouldn't surprise me if Orange got involved. I think o2's appetite is waning.

They let me out of the iPhone contract (to drop to another non iphone tariff at £10 less per month) without a whimper or any fuss.

CalumC
Mar 28, 2009, 08:38 AM
Does that mean they might be willing to offer it on a lower contract archipellago? How would anyone go about getting that?

archipellago
Mar 28, 2009, 01:57 PM
Does that mean they might be willing to offer it on a lower contract archipellago? How would anyone go about getting that?

yes I would think very probably they would be keen to do some sort of deal.

If you are an o2 punter then speak to retentions if not go to a store and argue the toss!!!

northy014
Mar 28, 2009, 06:38 PM
I dunno if this O2 demand slacking off thing is true...I know three of my friends have got one in the past couple of weeks. I know that's pretty subjective, but still...

John T
Mar 28, 2009, 07:55 PM
For an extra six months on your tariff, that's not much of a discount at all...

Phazer
Really! Can't be that bad - for the sake of an extra 6 months that amounts to a saving of £4.00 a month.

CalumC
Apr 3, 2009, 05:57 AM
yes I would think very probably they would be keen to do some sort of deal.

If you are an o2 punter then speak to retentions if not go to a store and argue the toss!!!

Just a quick report back. Carphone and o2 are remaining stubborn, I explained that it was fairly clear that they were trying to flog them off and would be willing to buy but only for less, Carphone stuck to the 'apple sets the prices, machine can't even do it for less if we wanted' line, o2 woman at first said 'no, we're already giving the phone away for free' before veering towards the apple story. Pah.

mkjj
Apr 3, 2009, 06:57 AM
Posters up in the CPW I passed last night promoting new offers

Aumz
Apr 4, 2009, 04:28 AM
Well I took out a second iPhone contract yesterday...on the 24 month contract.

£35 per month and phone for free but best of all I got to keep my previous line rental discount so it works out at £28 per month for 24 months plus on top of the 600 mins I got 300mins off peak extra.....and a bolt on that gives me 3000 mins to call anyone in Ireland....it was there it was free so I just took it...:)

CalumC
Apr 4, 2009, 03:55 PM
I bit the bullet on a 16gb white on £35p/m, and i'm chuffed as hell today. Theres a stuck pixel that i might enquire at the apple shop about, but other than that i'm bumming it silly. I don't even care about 24 months, there should be 2 updates by then. Ahh, all is right with the world.

Akaal
Apr 9, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I first bought the iphone on the release day in july 2008 (the 11th I think).

I was wondering if apple bring out a new iphone in 2009, presuming in june or july, can I upgrade to that for another 18 months, even though Im only 12 months into it?

Was wondering if iphone 2007 users could do that for the 2008 model.

Thanks,

moel
Apr 9, 2009, 12:31 PM
Well, I consider myself an early adopter, and I think that this is almost penalising their most loyal customers. The early adopters. What everyone really wants is a nice bump of their minutes and texts.

Why is it a penalty? I was there on launch night, first person out the store with an iPhone, and the 18months has just expired, and the new version is out in a few months...so it all ties in pretty good for us early adopters tbh!

DoubleU
Apr 10, 2009, 03:51 AM
Hi,

I first bought the iphone on the release day in july 2008 (the 11th I think).

I was wondering if apple bring out a new iphone in 2009, presuming in june or july, can I upgrade to that for another 18 months, even though Im only 12 months into it?

Was wondering if iphone 2007 users could do that for the 2008 model.

Thanks,

I upgraded from the 1st Gen iPhone to the 3G last year and they just transferred my contract. The 'phone cost about £150 to upgrade on the £35 tariff, it would have been 'free' if I'd changed to a higher tariff.

philip.smyth
Apr 11, 2009, 06:53 AM
I hope they drop it in ireland.. we can only wait

hector
Jun 1, 2009, 05:17 AM
Well I took out a second iPhone contract yesterday...on the 24 month contract.

£35 per month and phone for free but best of all I got to keep my previous line rental discount so it works out at £28 per month for 24 months plus on top of the 600 mins I got 300mins off peak extra.....and a bolt on that gives me 3000 mins to call anyone in Ireland....it was there it was free so I just took it...:)

This sounds good, congrats.

I am trying to work out what to do, my contract with O2 is up in September and I really want an iPhone. I have had an O2 contract since about 2002/3 which I would hope makes me a fairly valuable customer.

I have considered going into the store and asking if they would be willing to let me have one now even though I still have a few months left of my contract, but maybe it's worth waiting til the new iPhone is out? I wonder if the prices will be similar when it arrives...

From the experience you have had, it looks like I might be able to negotiate a pretty nice deal on a 3G iPhone as they try and shift the last of their stock.

student_trap
Jun 1, 2009, 07:18 AM
I was speaking to someone in the exec office yesterday, and they said they have literally no demand for the 3g at the moment, in store or online.

Most of the shops don't have any signage for it and it isn't being promoted.

Wouldn't surprise me if Orange got involved. I think o2's appetite is waning.

They let me out of the iPhone contract (to drop to another non iphone tariff at £10 less per month) without a whimper or any fuss.

am really not all that surprised. Everyone is being told left right and centre that we are entering 'diffiuclt financial times', and as such people are thinking much more before reachine for their wallet. Just look around at the high street stores who are all begging for custom with enormous signs advertising this that and the other.

In the case of the iphone, I shall just say that I got my mother a free blackberry 8900 on Vodafone with 750 minutes, 250 texts, stop the clock and passport for £23 a month (18 month contract). I was going to get her an iphone, but in the end, there was just no comparison, to counter the minutes she now uses with stop the clock she would have had to go on the higher £45 tarriff, and would have wanted the white iphone, an extra £59.

Vodafone over 18 months = £414
O2 iPhone over 18 months = £869

That is why fewer iPhones are being sold

julianna1973
Jun 1, 2009, 03:01 PM

Since reading your post & others following it, i have been trying to come up with a solution if Orange were the ones to release the new iphone in the UK, i have even emailed O2 asking if i could pac my current mobile number & get a new number with o2 to use on my last few months of contract, of course i didnt mention why, i just asked if it were possible, so i will wait and see. I couldnt take a new mobile contract without my number, i have taken it with me through many networks over the years & its easy for me to remember also & everyone knows it in my family etc. Im an iPhone addict, so i will move heave & earth to get it!!!!

londonmystery
Jun 1, 2009, 04:42 PM
Not sure about iphone switching to orange. I work for o2 and 3 days ago was at head office having a conversation with a very senior manager who, knowing my love for the iphone, informed me very discreetly that there will be more than 1 model of iphone coming within the next 6 weeks and that the tariffs will be changing.
He wouldn't go into details or specs but this is the same man who informed me of the 3g release 2 months before the official announcement from Apple.

Hopes this helps anyone interested in the new iphone, lol.:)

julianna1973
Jun 1, 2009, 05:17 PM
Not sure about iphone switching to orange. I work for o2 and 3 days ago was at head office having a conversation with a very senior manager who, knowing my love for the iphone, informed me very discreetly that there will be more than 1 model of iphone coming within the next 6 weeks and that the tariffs will be changing.
He wouldn't go into details or specs but this is the same man who informed me of the 3g release 2 months before the official announcement from Apple.

Hopes this helps anyone interested in the new iphone, lol.:)

I have 6 months left on my current iPhone contract, what are the chances of O2 offering an upgrade when the new one is released? Im willing to pay a fair amount towards the phone!

londonmystery
Jun 1, 2009, 05:29 PM
I have 6 months left on my current iPhone contract, what are the chances of O2 offering an upgrade when the new one is released? Im willing to pay a fair amount towards the phone!

Not sure at the moment am trying to find out. We have 2 iphone 3g in the house both with 6 months left so am hoping like you guys for an early upgrade.:)

julianna1973
Jun 1, 2009, 05:36 PM
Not sure at the moment am trying to find out. We have 2 iphone 3g in the house both with 6 months left so am hoping like you guys for an early upgrade.:)

My hubby thinks O2 will offer upgrades & i agree but i think it will be on the condition of taking another 2 years contract. All well & good but what happens in the summer of 2010 when ANOTHER iphone is likely to be released, what good is a 2 year contract then? Its a never ending cycle!!! AAAARRGHHH

tobimax
Jun 2, 2009, 04:58 AM
I was told by the Customer service people on O2 to wait for the new iphone. New tarrifs etc, that was 2 weeks ago......

LondonDude89
Jun 5, 2009, 06:02 AM
I upgraded from the 1st Gen iPhone to the 3G last year and they just transferred my contract. The 'phone cost about £150 to upgrade on the £35 tariff, it would have been 'free' if I'd changed to a higher tariff.

I highly doubt that they will do it for the new iPhone as the 3G is already subsidised by O2.

O2 were happy to upgrade people early with the original model because you essentially bought the handset offline yourself and signed up for a separate contract

julianna1973
Jun 5, 2009, 06:56 AM
I highly doubt that they will do it for the new iPhone as the 3G is already subsidised by O2.

O2 were happy to upgrade people early with the original model because you essentially bought the handset offline yourself and signed up for a separate contract

Yes there is always that possibility but also O2 might decide they would prefer to get iphone customers to commit to another contract, if they do that, there might be a cut off date. Like i upgraded the first day of 3g, so i imagine they might say, people who took the upgrade & or joined them on this date & before sept/oct 2008, can get a new deal? Later susbscribers might lose out.

deniser
Jun 8, 2009, 04:29 PM
o2 are not allowing us to upgrade early :mad::eek::mad:

Apparently you can end the contract early with the usual penalties to upgrade.

The only other way to go I suppose is buy a payg (32gb is showing as £538 on payg on o2 site (16gb £440)) and use your existing sim.

Varo
Jun 9, 2009, 11:14 AM
Just thinking out loud here.

If you have to pay for each month of your contract that you have left on the 35 contract with o2 then:

6*35=210
210+275=485

So £485 and you are stuck in another 18 month contract. So if you got the Pay & Go for £538.30 yeh it's £53.30 more but your not tied into another 18 month contract so when the next upgrade comes around we don't have this problem.

Can anyone see a problem with this? Can I put my Pay Monthly SIM in a Pay & Go device and still get access to everything?

If so then I think I would rather pay the extra £53 and not be stuck in another contract.

Thoughts please!

ichaddy
Jun 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
Just thinking out loud here.
So £485 and you are stuck in another 18 month contract. So if you got the Pay & Go for £538.30 yeh it's £53.30 more but your not tied into another 18 month contract so when the next upgrade comes around we don't have this problem.
If so then I think I would rather pay the extra £53 and not be stuck in another contract.

Thoughts please!

I like your rationale. Where did the £275 come from?

I'm a little annoyed that O2 are not rewarding their loyal customers. My only concern is that even if we upgrade faithfully in 6 months, a newer iPhone may even be in the wings for next June/July 2010 and then we'd have a further 12 months to wait for that one!

I can't see why we couldn't use a PAYGo iPhone with a Pay Monthly card. The best person to ask would be a O2 rep in a O2 store once they have arrived. Or, wait for someone here to post success.

On another note. £14 extra a month for internet tethering (with a 3GB limit) is just ludicrous! Considering they offer 500mb per day for just £2 per day (no strings) on their mobile broadband package. Why are they not offering 3GB for just £6 extra!. I'm sure many more people would sign up if they did. Once again, O2 are heavily penalising the causal tethering user who just wants an easy setup and doesnt want a bag full of cables and usb dongles.

neiltc13
Jun 9, 2009, 01:35 PM

I'm truly annoyed that O2 are penalising their loyal customers. My only concern is that even if we upgrade faithfully in 6 months, a newer iPhone may even be in the wings for next June/July 2010 and then we'd have a further 12 months to wait for that one!

I can't see why we couldn't use a PAYGo iPhone with a Pay Monthly card. The best person to ask would be a O2 rep in a O2 store once they have arrived. Or, wait for someone here to post success.

On another note. £14 extra a month for internet tethering (with a 3GB limit) is just ludicrous! Considering they offer 500mb per day for just £2 per day (no strings) on their mobile broadband package. Why are they not offering 3GB for just £6 extra!. I'm sure many more people would sign up if they did. Once again, O2 are heavily penalising the causal tethering user who just wants an easy setup and doesnt want a bag full of cables and usb dongles.

Sorry but in what way are they 'penalising' customers?

You were the one who signed an 18 month contract and it was pretty obvious that a new iPhone was going to launch around this time. Don't blame O2 because you were foolhardy.

dubhe
Jun 9, 2009, 02:09 PM
I'm personally going to get a 24 month contract (my current O2 contract expires 1st July) and then next year will get the Pay As You Go if I want to upgrade, selling my 3GS to offset the cost.

Although I could get an 18 month contract, if apple sticks to Summer refreshes I am unlikely to want to upgrade in 18 months time, rather wait and see what is around the corner, therefore I am better off saving the £100 now and signing up for another 6 months.

Or could this be the first time I actually stick with the phone for the contract length?! Probably not, never done it before and I have had a contract phone since 1996 :)

all-in-my-head
Jun 9, 2009, 03:56 PM
Besides the lack of option to upgrade for current 3G owners, the whole pricing for the 3G S is a rip off.

Compared to last years £159 price for the top model on a £35 contract. What happened to flash memory getting bigger and cheaper. I expected the 32GB to come in at this price.

Compared to the US it's a complete rip-off the 32GB model works out at todays exchange rate as £184 in the US ($299) and we're expected to pay £274!! Get over yourselves O2.

When the last 6 months of my contract is done I'm off to another network. Here's hoping their exclusivity runs out by iPhone version 4 (Jun2010?).

Joining #o2fail

At least 3.0 software is gonna rock!

Banyan Bruce
Jun 9, 2009, 05:14 PM
Besides the lack of option to upgrade for current 3G owners, the whole pricing for the 3G S is a rip off.

Compared to last years £159 price for the top model on a £35 contract. What happened to flash memory getting bigger and cheaper. I expected the 32GB to come in at this price.

Compared to the US it's a complete rip-off the 32GB model works out at todays exchange rate as £184 in the US ($299) and we're expected to pay £274!! Get over yourselves O2.

When the last 6 months of my contract is done I'm off to another network. Here's hoping their exclusivity runs out by iPhone version 4 (Jun2010?).

Joining #o2fail

At least 3.0 software is gonna rock!

You won't be alone in the mass exodus from O2 once the iphone contract is withdrawn. The tethering charge is the straw that has broekn this camels back. O2 sucks.

samab
Jun 9, 2009, 05:34 PM

Basic math 101:

Compare 24 month contract for O2 with 24 month contract for AT&T.

32 GB iphone 3G S

O2 (£175.19 = $283 US including tax)
AT&T ($299 US excluding tax)

O2 is about $50 cheaper than AT&T.

Varo
Jun 10, 2009, 02:02 AM

The £275 is the price of the 3GS on the £35 contract with o2

jamesslittle
Jun 10, 2009, 02:20 AM
I sold my 1st Gen iPhone and put the money towards my upgrade fee for the 16Gb 3G which meant that I only had to fork out £50 I think. Even if I could upgrade to a higher spec (i.e. the 32Gb) I would still have to fork out £274.23 on an 18 month contract. Firstly, it's too much to pay when locking yourself into a further 18 months contract and secondly it ain't gonna happen because I have to wait until next year and then pay full price (£274.23) and lock myself into a further 18 month contract and all for a phone that will be close to its shelf life.

Well done O2, cake or death? Better figure out what to do with all those iPhone 3GS that will be lingering in the old O2 towers warehouse this time next year.

p.s. I still enjoy my 3G, will talk to it anyway, have bought a magnifying glass for the lens and will stick a compass on it.

p.p.s. If anyone hears anything official from O2 please post.

julianna1973
Jun 10, 2009, 03:19 AM
I sold my 1st Gen iPhone and put the money towards my upgrade fee for the 16Gb 3G which meant that I only had to fork out £50 I think. Even if I could upgrade to a higher spec (i.e. the 32Gb) I would still have to fork out £274.23 on an 18 month contract. Firstly, it's too much to pay when locking yourself into a further 18 months contract and secondly it ain't gonna happen because I have to wait until next year and then pay full price (£274.23) and lock myself into a further 18 month contract and all for a phone that will be close to its shelf life.

Well done O2, cake or death? Better figure out what to do with all those iPhone 3GS that will be lingering in the old O2 towers warehouse this time next year.

p.s. I still enjoy my 3G, will talk to it anyway, have bought a magnifying glass for the lens and will stick a compass on it.

p.p.s. If anyone hears anything official from O2 please post.

I like your humour..

chrisiw
Jun 10, 2009, 04:15 AM
Apple have got to make the iPhone available to other networks, if they want more sales, its the usual UK rip off at the moment.:mad:

Red-red
Jun 10, 2009, 04:33 AM
It will be interesting to see how well this sells.

I doubt it will sell like the 3G did, based mainly on the fact the 3G was heavily subsidised and this isn't as much. The majority of UK users will go get a samsung/blackberry free on a cheaper contract. Not to mention 90% of 3G users won't upgrade to it because of the price involved.

We'll see I suppose.

sunfast
Jun 10, 2009, 04:38 AM
I must admit to not being so crazy at O2. The 3Gs looks great and would be a nice upgrade from my 3G but I'm not desperate for it, certainly not to the point of paying a large upgrade fee. The big improvements for me come with OS 3.0 which I get for free - that'll make my 3G feel like a new phone anyway.

I'm interested to see what O2 do though, I'll be out of contact in January and I'd expect them to dangle a carrot to get me to sign up for another period. Several of my friends were given free iPhone 3G handsets recently by O2 to get them to renew their contracts - if they have a glut of 3Gs models lying around they may offer some good deals.

But whatever happens, this is much better than last year. This time I have an iPhone, and 3.0 is on its way :)

LondonDude89
Jun 10, 2009, 10:22 AM
When you compare O2's 24 month contracts to at&t's closest value contract, the O2 ones are a lot cheaper. Especially when at&t customer's don't get any free texts or internet and have a lot of other hidden mandatory charges.

Apparently, even though Apple announced price cuts on the 3G 8GB, the wholesale price remained the same.
Also, because of the currency fluctuation, the 3GS is actually more expensive than a 3G of the same capacity.
Anyone know any more about this?

iSimon
Jun 10, 2009, 10:51 AM
When you compare O2's 24 month contracts to at&t's closest value contract, the O2 ones are a lot cheaper. Especially when at&t customer's don't get any free texts or internet and have a lot of other hidden mandatory charges.

Apparently, even though Apple announced price cuts on the 3G 8GB, the wholesale price remained the same.
Also, because of the currency fluctuation, the 3GS is actually more expensive than a 3G of the same capacity.
Anyone know any more about this?
You can't really compare the O2 contracts with the AT&T ones as the US mobile telecoms market is radically different from the UK one.

What you can compare is the respective handset prices last year compared with this year for the two markets in isolation. In the US the new 3GS is the same price as the 3G was last year (with the same basic AT&T 2 year contract commitment) i.e. $199 and $299. In the UK the 3GS prices have been hiked up by 90% and 75% compared with the 3G prices last year (with the same basic O2 18 month contract commitment).

The currency fluctuation only accounts for about 25% of the price increase. And no, sales tax has no relevence to this discussion before someone brings that old chestnut up! :rolleyes: This is about the difference between this year and last year within the context of the two separate markets, not the actual conversion between $ value and £ value of the handset costs. Nothing of significance has changed in the UK this year compared with the US to suggest why the 3GS is so much more expensive than the 3G here as opposed to the US. A small increase could be understood (due to weaker pound), but not the massive increase we have actually seen.

LondonDude89
Jun 10, 2009, 12:32 PM
In the UK the 3GS prices have been hiked up by 90% and 75% compared with the 3G prices last year (with the same basic O2 18 month contract commitment).

The currency fluctuation only accounts for about 25% of the price increase. And no, sales tax has no relevence to this discussion before someone brings that old chestnut up! :rolleyes: This is about the difference between this year and last year within the context of the two separate markets, not the actual conversion between $ value and £ value of the handset costs. Nothing of significance has changed in the UK this year compared with the US to suggest why the 3GS is so much more expensive than the 3G here as opposed to the US. A small increase could be understood (due to weaker pound), but not the massive increase we have actually seen.

Where is this 75% and 90% figure coming from?

Assuming you have a £35 p/m contract from O2:
The 8GB 3G iPhone is exactly the same price as it has been since the VAT reduction
The 16GB iPhone 3G S is roughly £30 MORE expensive than the 16GB 3G was at the time of the VAT reduction.
The 32GB iPhone 3G S is a brand new model, there is no previous price for it.

If what I've heard is correct, Apple are charging O2 the same price in $ for the phones as they were last year and O2 are expected to bite their tongue and just subsidise the extra. This is why they are focusing on the 24 month contracts this time around

samab
Jun 10, 2009, 12:53 PM
You can't really compare the O2 contracts with the AT&T ones as the US mobile telecoms market is radically different from the UK one.

This is about the difference between this year and last year within the context of the two separate markets, not the actual conversion between $ value and £ value of the handset costs. Nothing of significance has changed in the UK this year compared with the US to suggest why the 3GS is so much more expensive than the 3G here as opposed to the US. A small increase could be understood (due to weaker pound), but not the massive increase we have actually seen.

O2 is focusing on 24 month contracts. They are not required to apply handset subsidies evenly across the board.

And on a 24 month contract, a direct comparison with the US --- you Brits are getting a much better deal than the Americans. Brits have the best deal out of the G7 countries. Aside from Hong Kong, Brits get the best iphone deal in the world --- the reason is competition (Hong Kong has 6 carriers and UK has 5 carriers). Wait until T-Mobile gets out of UK and you have 4 carriers, then your prices will go up dramatically.

You Brits don't even know how lucky you are.

CalumC
Jun 10, 2009, 02:23 PM
O2 is focusing on 24 month contracts. They are not required to apply handset subsidies evenly across the board.

And on a 24 month contract, a direct comparison with the US --- you Brits are getting a much better deal than the Americans. Brits have the best deal out of the G7 countries. Aside from Hong Kong, Brits get the best iphone deal in the world --- the reason is competition (Hong Kong has 6 carriers and UK has 5 carriers). Wait until T-Mobile gets out of UK and you have 4 carriers, then your prices will go up dramatically.

I do love a good cross-cultural battle of words. Maybe we do get a good deal compared to other countries, it doesn't make it very good compared to what else you can get in the country. The price hike feels disproportionate to us, especially when the tariffs, when compared to others, are so poor.

julianna1973
Jun 10, 2009, 03:09 PM

I didnt know Tmobile were "getting out" of the UK market?

Saladinos
Jun 10, 2009, 04:47 PM
I didnt know Tmobile were "getting out" of the UK market?

Neither did I. Couldn't find anything on Google either. From Wikipedia:

For a long time the smallest of Britain's four GSM operators, T-Mobile has overtaken Orange UK and, with over 19.2 million subscribers, has the third largest user base behind market leader O2 and Vodafone, due in part to the mobile virtual network operators using T-Mobile's infrastructure.

On 12 December 2007, it was confirmed that a merger of the high-speed 3G and HSDPA networks operated by T-Mobile UK and 3 (UK) was to take place starting January 2008. This will leave T-Mobile and 3 with the largest HSDPA mobile phone network in the country, with a theoretical maximum speed of 6.5 MB/s, rising to 7.2 MB/s over the course of the year.

Things appear to be going quite well for T-Mobile in the UK. They've been operating here for about a decade. They're not going anywhere. It's funny that in Europe, where markets are more heavily regulated, there seems to be more competition than in the US, where companies blame regulation to justify ripping you off.

samab
Jun 10, 2009, 05:06 PM
Things appear to be going quite well for T-Mobile in the UK. They've been operating here for about a decade. They're not going anywhere. It's funny that in Europe, where markets are more heavily regulated, there seems to be more competition than in the US, where companies blame regulation to justify ripping you off.

DT has been trying to shop T-Mobile UK around.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUKTRE54B1IA20090512

Only UK in the whole Europe is more competitive than the US in terms of mobile telephone service. It was more "luck" than anything else that UK managed to sell their 3G licenses before the internet bubble got bursted.

Just look at France, Germany, Norway --- they are some of the worst in terms of competition. France has only 3 national carriers (all french owned). German government is still the largest shareholder of DT. Norway has 2 carriers --- basically the worst iphone plan in the industrial world.

Doesn't matter how much AT&T "sucked" compared to Verizon --- AT&T's 3G iphone speed was tied for third in the whole world according to the wired.com survey of hundreds of iphone users. Aside from UK, nobody in Europe has better iphone than the Americans. Aside from Canada's time-limited special pricing plan, nobody else in the world gives you 5 GB of data allowance for the iphone.

shoppy
Jun 12, 2009, 08:54 AM
Prices are not bad, I get my iphone 3gs 32gb on upgrade for £84, 16gb model is free. The rest of my number can all get the iphone 3gs 32gb/ 16gb £164/ 99. I am an o2 business customer who can upgrade every 12 months.

dubhe
Jun 12, 2009, 06:02 PM
Prices are not bad, I get my iphone 3gs 32gb on upgrade for £84, 16gb model is free. The rest of my number can all get the iphone 3gs 32gb/ 16gb £164/ 99. I am an o2 business customer who can upgrade every 12 months.

I thought all O2 business contracts were 24 or 36 months?

londonmystery
Jun 16, 2009, 05:57 PM
It appears that o2 have slightly changed there pricing policy unless I misunderstood this. It seems that some iphone 3g customers will be entitled to an early upgrade free of charge. please see details below which were found on the o2 website.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paymonth.html

For me and my wife this is great. We are entitled to an upgrade on on line now so there is 1 3gs. I spend in excess of £80.00 a month regularly on each account we have so it appears we are entitled to a second upgrade free of charge on our particular tariffs. Awesome!!!!:):)

Peterkro
Jun 16, 2009, 06:00 PM
I am an o2 business customer who can upgrade every 12 months.

Do you have a link for this?

CD3660
Jun 16, 2009, 06:52 PM
This is the relevant passage regarding early upgrades:

Upgrading to the new iPhone 3G S

Existing Pay Monthly customers have the following options for upgrading
to iPhone 3G S:

Option 1 - wait until eligible for an upgrade.

All O2 Pay Monthly customers are part of O2 Priority List and those paying £35 or more a month, have the opportunity to upgrade early.

Customers won't have to see out the full term of their existing contract before being eligible for an upgrade.

All customers continually spending over a minimum of £80.00 a month, receive a 6 month early upgrade.

All customers continually spending over a minimum of £50.00 a month, receive a 3 month early upgrade.

All customers continually spending a minimum of £35.00 a month, receive a 1 month early upgrade.

alexisj
Jun 16, 2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I guess it's more okay if they'd give refund
to April ...

iWoz
Jul 9, 2009, 02:10 PM
haha that would be the day