Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarrenT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Croydon, London
while idly perusing the apple store i thought i'd have a look at the Rev B. the high end model with the 1.86GHz chip and 128gb SSD is £1,761 but the low end model upgraded to the 1.86GHz and 128SSD is only £1,751.

did i miss something?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
No.

This has been the case for a while.

Better yet, leave out the 1.86 upgrade (if you like) because it will be even cheaper and 1.6 is still plenty fast.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
No.

This has been the case for a while.

Better yet, leave out the 1.86 upgrade (if you like) because it will be even cheaper and 1.6 is still plenty fast.

Agreed, the processor speed is not that important, it's all the other bits and pieces which are common to both

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
BUT, if you select a 1.6, then add the 1.86 and SSD, does it not make the machine BTO and therefore not allow you to return it unless defective?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
BUT, if you select a 1.6, then add the 1.86 and SSD, does it not make the machine BTO and therefore not allow you to return it unless defective?
Bingo!

Not to mention watching your stubble grow white as the BTO order process goes through, and your lovely new custom-built MBA gets put onto a 30-year old cargo ship with a dodgy turbine, out of Shanghai via Vladivostock, Odessa, etc.

Still at least it gives you plenty of time to think of what you'll splurge your £10 saving on :p

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
And your lovely new custom-built MBA gets put onto a 30-year old cargo ship with a dodgy turbine, out of Shanghai via Vladivostock, Odessa, etc.

How do the pre-configured ones get from the factory then?

I don't know what the “official” procedure is, but I got a full refund on my BTO 1.6 SSD. I returned it within the 14 days because of the grey lines on the screen, which technically isn't a fault (according to Apple).

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
How do the pre-configured ones get from the factory then?

I don't know what the “official” procedure is, but I got a full refund on my BTO 1.6 SSD. I returned it within the 14 days because of the grey lines on the screen, which technically isn't a fault (according to Apple).
Sorry I got a little hyperbolic there - BTO once bitten twice shy ;)

BTOs as already stated are usually excluded from returns for anything other than faulty hardware. The usual "buyer's remorse cooling-off 14-day-period" does not apply.

That they've done this for you, whilst not admitting it's faulty, speaks volumes to me. I'm sure it's been logged and Apple Sales, Techs etc. are being told to admit nothing but 'accommodate' the customer.

That's why, as much as I appreciate it is a pain for most people (me too, I've had to send two back), the more that do, I think the quicker we'll see an end to this screen blight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.