Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordOfTheMacs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
New Jersey
Hey all,
I always hear things on LowEndMac about how unreliable the snow ibook g3's are(the ones that look like iBook G4's) but since they were made a while ago, wouldn't most of the issues be fixed? I love my clamshell, but eventually he will die or become unusable, but either way, What do you think?:confused::apple:

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Would you buy an snow ibook?

Yes. Well actually not anymore.

Generally the ones that had video meltdowns no longer exist, and they have a wonderfully compact form factor. Still own one.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
It's really hit and miss with those things. There are some people who have never had a single problem with them since day one. Others have had nothing but consistent issues. Unfortunately, I'm one of the latter.

All I can say is, be wary when buying one. Mine lasted for a few months, then started having the major issues that line is known for.

But I would think that I'm just unlucky, and that if one is still working great today, there should not be any problems with it in the future. (Though that's not always the case.)

One thing I've heard is, the original 500 MHz model (and 600 MHz model, I think) had the least amount of problems, while the 700/800/900 MHz models were terrible. I have the 800 MHz, so I guess I learned my lesson there.

Plus, the 500 MHz can easily be found for less then $200, sometimes less then $150 so it is probably a great buy.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Someone's going to turn up sooner or later and yell "PPC?! HAAAA buy a Macbook". Good point given that apart from the top cases cracking I don't think the Macbooks have ever had a major problem, and the cracking's only cosmetic.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I don't think the Macbooks have ever had a major problem, and the cracking's only cosmetic.

I've got ony one word for you: Mooooo.

Okay, this was not a major problem, but random shutdowns, on the other hand, were. I had to replace my logic board (under warranty) because of it, and nearly lost a week worth of work. Then, after a month, the shutdowns started again, and the first time it happened to me again felt like dying. Fortunately, shortly after Apple released a firmware fix for this. Still a major problem, though.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Moo? ;)

Ok, fair enough, but it is fixed? Unlike the snow iBook G3's which I think were just a catalogue of disasters. Could be wrong but I thought they had chronic never ending problems.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I had the G3 700mhz ibook. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Had 2 problems with it. The first was after 2 years the video died. Applecare replaced the motherboard. Just a few months ago the video went out again. Of course I don't have applecare on a machine this old (2002) and it would cost more to fix than a better option of buying a newer more up to date machine.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I've got ony one word for you: Mooooo.

Okay, this was not a major problem, but random shutdowns, on the other hand, were. I had to replace my logic board (under warranty) because of it, and nearly lost a week worth of work. Then, after a month, the shutdowns started again, and the first time it happened to me again felt like dying. Fortunately, shortly after Apple released a firmware fix for this. Still a major problem, though.

The random shutdowns were a massive issue, mine was affected and I lost my machine for a month due to it. The mooing issue wasn't quite that bad, I never had that, but all the issues seem to be fixed now.

Oh and don't forget the battery problems. I had that one as well. But the machine's are pretty darn stable now.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I saw heaps of the white G3 iBooks come in with the well known video failures and as another poster points out, the 500Mhz machines never had this problem.

Although, the 500Mhz machines did have their own problems. Failure of the DC input connector, cutting of the display cable where it passes around the clutch (or hinge) - a revised rear vent with a larger cut-out for the cable fixes that. I imagine that those repairs would have been done already if one is still functioning today.

I owned one of the 900Mhz machines (a real screamer and the fastest Apple every made a G3). I never had any of the video problems, but I did have an intermittent trackpad (the trackpad cable had a fold that used to break) but small piece of cardboard between the internal frame and top-case kept it going.

There are plenty of people using the application of extreme heat to re-flow the solder joints on the GPU - not for the faint hearted, and I've never done one myself.

As most point out, if you can find one still going, it will probably keep going, but I'd add that if it's had an easy life sitting on a table and not being used as a portable, then if you use it as a portable, it might then fail.

A final note, I've seen more than my fair share of failed Toshiba HDs so I'd be looking for one that has had it's HD replaced and at least 60GB

I traded mine in favour of the last G4 iBook, a G4 1.42Ghz 14" with sudden motion and scrolling trackpad which I still use today.

Good luck!
________
cannabis news

Last edited:

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
No way. I had a 1Ghz G4 ice book and it was nothing but trouble. Repeated repairs and the GPU problem still kept returning. I'd pay the extra and get a Powerbook if you really want a ppc model.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I much prefer the PB g3 pismo if you want an older laptop.

While it isn't the fastest machine on the market, it is very upgradable. You can even buy G4 processors for them if you can find one.

I have a pismo g3 and it is great.

500mhz
512mb ram
30gb hard drive
DVD
BTI replacement battery

All in all, it only cost me about $150 as well.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Knowing what I know now, no I wouldn't.

I bought a 500MHz Snow G3 last year, and the DC in board just died on me, I have also found that the keyboard smells like stinky shoes (seriously), and that is a known issue with the early snow G3s.

Don

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
To the OP: If I were you, I'd just spend a little more money and get a G4 iBook or PowerBook. Both are great machines that are still very usable in today's world. ( I can vouch for the G4 iBook, and I've heard excellent things about the G4 PowerBooks.) Plus none of those pesky IceBook problems. ;)

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I've got the same G4 iBook as Cassie (last rev 1.33GHz 12" 1.5GB of RAM) and I can also vouch for it. Over 3 years old and not a single problem and the 12" size is awesome.

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
The 12" G4 iBooks and PowerBooks definitely have the edge.. a G3 will struggle doing even basic web browsing. My Snow iMac G3 definitely has trouble on modern websites, even with flash disabled.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
If you're still looking for a PPC laptop, then I'd suggest trying to get one with USB 2.0.

PowerBooks with USB 2.0 can be identified here. All iBook G4's have USB 2.0.

Better still are PowerBooks with a BUS speed of 167Mhz (which helps to boost their speed).

:)
________

Last edited:

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
I don't know about your country,but in mine ibooks g3 are very low priced compared to ibook and powerbooks g4..
For example I bought my G3 for 180eur (see sig) and for an ibook g4/powerbook g4 12' I can't buy anything for 300!saw some 899mhz one for 300,1.33 325eur and some 1.5 for 370eur..it's almost the double of the price..and most of them come with batteries that don't last more than one hours,ram about 512 and that type of things..
Maybe I was lucky,because I got a "maxed" ibook in terms of specs,an almost 4h battery,a good looking one,and never had any problems,and even better,it doesn't make noise (the fan rarelly turns on) and it is only warm...
A few weeks ago I was in the mood of changing it for a powerbook g4,but as soon as I realized that I wound't get a "good shape,good spec" one for less than 350/400eur I gave up,for 500/550 you get a macbook...and for basic daily activities the ibook is more than good..
Currently I have dual boot on it..panther (wich I use most) and tiger (it works good,not slooooooowww) only because of some java apps that need tiger..
I think your option may be "in the price",in my case the g3 was a "smart" option,but if I found a G4 @ let's say 250eur,maybe the g4 was better option...
Hope it helps

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
G4 iBooks die too. Mine has. My PowerBook has not had a major repair but it has had to have the DC in board replaced and the top case replaced

seamus26

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Clamshell?

Nobody laugh. Or at least have the common courtesy to leave the room first. I'm still using a 466Mhz Clamshell iBook DV and love it. I've maxed the RAM out to 576 MB, installed a 120GB hard drive and run 10.4.11 with few problems. The biggest drawbacks are the 800x600 display, no USB 2 and I frequently peg the processor doing audio stuff. Oh, and the battery bites. Other than that it's a great machine. I'm using it on the Windoze network at work right now for CNC program editing between my two CMMs. I have older copies of iPhoto, Photoshop CS, Appleworks and Microsoft Office that allow me to do most everything. It's no MacBook, but for the $150 I paid for it it was a a steal.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
My gf has an old G4 iBook. I think it's 1.0 (or perhaps 1.2 gHz?). Anyway, it still rocks on. The only problem is, that when I have to help her with something it's usually in Word 2008 ... In combination with no added ram, that makes it annoyingly slow, when I am moving through the document, adding a bit, editing a bit, correcting typos and what have we. That I'm sure would be alleviated with some added ram, though.

In fact, my much newer MBP (15inch, 2.33gHz) is on its last legs. And although it's faster, I can't wait for my X200s to arrive. I mention this, because I hope it will have as long a life as her iBook and will be just as rugged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.