PDA

View Full Version : imac G4/800 usb question

kant
Mar 14, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hey all,

A friend of mine has an iMac g4/800 (this one) (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_800_fp.html) and wants to get usb 2.0 because "itunes says I move to it and it's made by Apple, the iPod is made by Apple, and the mac is made by Apple, so it wouldn't be telling me I can put usb 2 inside it if I couldn't". I've tried explaining to him that there is no way to expand the insides of that system, but it does occur to me that I don't actually know that you can't do so.

Are there expansion slots inside that little dome or not? Assuming there is not, is there a firewire solution to the problem for both his older "2nd gen iPod" (haven't seen it but he says it's only got 2gb ram, so it must be one of the first ones out) or his new shuffle? After looking at everythingmac, I see that his 2nd gen iPod must be the nano, which apparently doesn't support firewire syncing. :(

And sorry if I'm asking an idiotically obvious question: I have tinnitus and can't use and iPod so know zip about them and their connectivity.

RealaT
Mar 14, 2009, 12:49 PM
you can't upgrade it to USB 2.0, you're stuck with USB 1.1 on that machine

"itunes says I move to it and it's made by Apple, the iPod is made by Apple, and the mac is made by Apple, so it wouldn't be telling me I can put usb 2 inside it if I couldn't"

could you explain this, it doesn't make any sense to me. Where would apple be telling your friend you can put USB 2.0 into an iMac G4???

kant
Mar 14, 2009, 04:34 PM
could you explain this, it doesn't make any sense to me. Where would apple be telling your friend you can put USB 2.0 into an iMac G4???

Every time he plugs his ipod in he's getting a message from itunes about usb 2.0

His words, not mine.

RealaT
Mar 15, 2009, 02:10 AM
But is the message actually telling him to install USB 2.0 into his computer?