PDA

View Full Version : What Book Next?

Josh Kahane
Mar 14, 2009, 12:44 PM
Hi

So sorry if this has been said before. Please dont flame.

I bought 'Programming in Objective-C 2.0' and found it became a little confusing, considering I'm brand new to programming. So I have now bought 'Learn C on the Mac', easier to get my head around, and working through it now, but when I approach its end. What book next?

Should I dig back into 'Programming for Objective-C 2.0'? Or do you recommend 'Learn Objective-C on the Mac'? (Same series as 'Learn C on the Mac'.) Or a different book altogether?

I have seen some very good reviews of the Learn Series books. Theres is also 'Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK', and 'Cocoa Programming for OSX'. I have heard these are good, but I would love some more guidance.

If it helps make a decision, I want to begin developing games and apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Also, after these, what are some good books to look at in future.

So, I would love to hear what you think of these books, and where to go next, and if there are any other books you would recommend. Sorry for the painfully long post. I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Heath
Mar 14, 2009, 06:20 PM
I suggest no book next.. for a bit anyway..
Write a few programs with the newly found knowledge that you do have and familiarize yourself with what you have learned, and learn how to apply it correctly. You don't have to write anything glamorous or even useful! Just write something. The experience you get writing stuff on your own will be worth more than the book knowledge itself. Once you do that I'd highly recommend digging back into Programming In Objective C.
Once you are done that book, do the same thing again, write a few more programs to learn. Then from there pick up a Cocoa book and rinse and repeat. By that time you'll be well on your way to writing stuff you consider useful and will have learned a lot.