Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
hullo all,
this is my first post, so hullo its nice to be here!

I have never owned a Mac, the nearest I got to Mac ownership was running mac software on my Amiga using a hardware emulator years ago, I think it was called amaxx, or something like that.

Anyway despite being an owner of Ninaj PCs Ive always had a hankering to own a mac.

Recently I have developed a need for a laptop to do WP and other stuff, so I thought Id finally treat myself to a 2nd hand mac laptop.

My question is I have found 2 machines that Iam tempted by, one is a G4 powerbook with 1.5ghz power pc cpu, 15 inch screen, 1 gig ram, and 80 gig HDD.
The other is a core 2 duo macbook with 320gig HDD, 2 gig ram, 2 gig CPU, and a 13 inch screen.

The powerbook will cost around 100 quid and the macbook around 300.

Is the macbook worth 3 times the price? especially as the screen is 2 inches smaller.

What would YOU buy?

Thanks for your time,

cheerio chaps

ElectroGhandi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Baltimore, MD
hullo all,
this is my first post, so hullo its nice to be here!

I have never owned a Mac, the nearest I got to Mac ownership was running mac software on my Amiga using a hardware emulator years ago, I think it was called amaxx, or something like that.

Anyway despite being an owner of Ninaj PCs Ive always had a hankering to own a mac.

Recently I have developed a need for a laptop to do WP and other stuff, so I thought Id finally treat myself to a 2nd hand mac laptop.

My question is I have found 2 machines that Iam tempted by, one is a G4 powerbook with 1.5ghz power pc cpu, 15 inch screen, 1 gig ram, and 80 gig HDD.
The other is a core 2 duo macbook with 320gig HDD, 2 gig ram, 2 gig CPU, and a 13 inch screen.

The powerbook will cost around 100 quid and the macbook around 300.

Is the macbook worth 3 times the price? especially as the screen is 2 inches smaller.

What would YOU buy?

Thanks for your time,

cheerio chaps

I own the PowerBook you are looking at and I love it. But it's a PowerPC computer and you might see some compatibility issues in the future. If money is no object, just go for the MacBook, unless you really want the 15" screen more than 13"

ceezy3000

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
The Valley!!
go withthe macbook, powerpc is a deadend road. snow leopard wont run on it and its basically about the speed of a pentium 4. 80 gb harddrive is nuthing so i say macbook

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
whoa

Unless the powerbook is <$200, Macbook all the way. Not even a question.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
brilliant, thanks for your advice everyone.

I have decided to buy the macbook.

Iam jolly excited!

Next week Ill be looking at this site with a mac!

As I said Ive never owned one before, and there is a whole new world of mac joy waiting for me, no doubt I shall return soon with more questions.

cheerio fellers

oh Ive thought of another question already. I like to play warcraft occasionaly, will the macbook run wow nicely?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
brilliant, thanks for your advice everyone.

I have decided to buy the macbook.

Iam jolly excited!

Next week Ill be looking at this site with a mac!

As I said Ive never owned one before, and there is a whole new world of mac joy waiting for me, no doubt I shall return soon with more questions.

cheerio fellers

oh Ive thought of another question already. I like to play warcraft occasionaly, will the macbook run wow nicely?
What I'd like to know is where on earth have you seen a 2GHz Macbook with 320GB Hard Drive and 2GB Ram for £300??? I want one lol

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
actually its aluminium, does that make a difference?

thanks for your help

ftored

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
actually its aluminium, does that make a difference?

thanks for your help

Yeah it makes a lot of difference.:D.. the aluminium one has got a geforce 9400 which will help a lot in games. The performance difference betwwen the macbook and the powerbook will be great..:)

Nice prces for them:D..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.