Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Hi all. When I connect my external HD it fails to show up in Windows Vista. Is there a solution to this please?

Cheers!

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Did you check if Vista has the USB drivers installed and working? Remember it's Vista and you have to check double for stuff to see if it works fine.

Umm. I'm quite new to Vista. How can I check if the USB drivers are installed?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Umm. I'm quite new to Vista. How can I check if the USB drivers are installed?

Well you can use the Device Manager in Vista. That is located in Control Panel > Hardware Tab > Device Manager....

If you see question marks besides your device it means you lack a device driver/firmware.

I don't really use Vista much, buts thats how I remember the Device Manager being at.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Well you can use the Device Manager in Vista. That is located in Control Panel > Hardware Tab > Device Manager....

If you see question marks besides your device it means you lack a device driver/firmware.

I don't really use Vista much, buts thats how I remember the Device Manager being at.

Ok, the HD doesn't actually even appear in the Device Manager. Any tips? What could the problem be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.