PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV & Time Capsule

santangelo
Mar 15, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hi

Am thinking of buying Apple TV for all the bedrooms in my house, I'd like to be able to play all my media music an films in these rooms throu the apple tv's

I own an macbookpro already so what am thinking is buying Time Capsule and store everything on there will i then be able to access this from my Apple TV no matter what room am in?

Regards

alex416
Mar 16, 2009, 12:18 PM
What kind of media are you wanting to play? You can store your iTunes media on the Time Capsule, and have each Apple TV access the iTunes media through the computer. It would achieve the desired result, but the computer would need to be on at all times to act as a streaming gateway.

If you want to stream the media from the Time Capsule to each Apple TV WITHOUT a computer, you would need to hack your Apple TV. Right now I have a 1TB hard drive connected to the TC, which is accessible by both Apple TVs units. I store all my DVDs on the drive (ripped with RipIt), and I can play them with all menus and special features. Something the Apple TV should have done from the start.

There are a few options for doing this, I used ATV Flash as it had the simplest setup.