Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I have been looking through some of my old photo's and came across this one. It was only taken with a Point and shoot back in 2006, I really like it but I'm not sure how to crop it... tried the rule of thirds but it takes away too much of the sandy area.

Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• DSC03429EDIT.jpg
    DSC03429EDIT.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 102

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I clicked on this link thinking that "restoring an old photo" usually means scanning a 70 or 80 year old print and fixing the tears and other damage in Photoshop ;)

I think your best bet would be to crop the sky and right part of the image

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I clicked on this link thinking that "restoring an old photo" usually means scanning a 70 or 80 year old print and fixing the tears and other damage in Photoshop ;)

I think your best bet would be to crop the sky and right part of the image

I was about the write exactly the above. THat fourth boat on the right that is only half there has to go. Same with the topmost dark blue sky.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
OP - so can we edit your work for visuals?

I kinda like it offset. Definitely a 4:6 ratio.. was debating to leave the right most boat in or not (though clipped).

Attachments

• edited.jpg
    edited.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 57

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I much prefer Shady825's crop to gkarris'.

I would say with the boats aligned as they are pointing in one direction they need some space to "travel" into within the frame, cropping so the far left boat is right next to the left side of the frame causes the eye to leave the picture. and the area "behind" the boats becomes dead space.

*edit* oh and moving the water/mountain interface line above/off from dead center is much more pleasing as well.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'd opt for something like what shady825 did, only I'd straighten the horizon too. The golden sand adds a lot to the image, so I'd keep as much of that as possible and just try to get the line where the water meets the hills to be as far from the center as possible, while still retaining some of the nice blue in the sky. This one would benefit from some noise reduction too. Oh, and yes, I would definitely crop out the white boat at far right.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Wow, thanks for all your comments ! I didn't expect so many and the title is a bit weird, it just seems like a 'old' photo to me... back in the day when I had no idea about Photography ( well as much as I do today ! )

I definetley like the first crop, it's exactly what I wanted, with the sand still in the frame to add a sense of warmth to the Photo.

I'm actually considering putting this Photo in my University entry potrfolio, I can have upto 5 Images but I only want to put 2 Photographs in ( a wider range of techniques shows better creativity )

Do you think it's sharp enough and what about the slight noise in the top left, or am I just been to picky :p

Thank you all very much for your comments, I'm really thinking of putting more Photo's on here !

NStocks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.