Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckesten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
New York
Would like some opinions.. do you think a new one might be coming out with better specs?

thanks

ckesten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
New York
When did the last one come out? I think my brother has had his for at least a year and the 1799 macbook that is currently out has the same specs...

so its never been updated?

thanks

ckesten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
New York
Hey I appreciate your fast responses. So how come by brother has the same exact specs when I went into his system properties.

They both have 1.6 ghz... oh right he only has 80 gigs.. this has 120.. how about the ram... did the old one have 1 where this has 2?

Anyway, my question is... I had the 24 inch imac... sold it because i wanted a laptop.. the imac was soooo fast... it was 2.8 ghz with 2 g ram..

I was leaning towards the macbook... because more specs... so my question is.. how do you think the drop off will be in speed from my imac at 2.8 ghz or even the macbook at 2 ghz compared to the 1.6 of the air.

I mostly use it for internet, itunes and pictures.. nothing too crazy

appreciate the help in advance

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There is more to specs than RAM and Processor speed.

Rev B has:

better 1.6 processor
better graphics card
better heat management
mini display port
bigger and faster drive

overall the current 1.6 is faster than the old 1.6

A little googling could have told you all that.

>>I mostly use it for internet, itunes and pictures.. nothing too crazy

It will be fine.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The rev B MBA is far superior to the original MBA. The original MBA was originally shipped late February or early March 2008. In October 2008, Apple introduced the rev B MBA which was totally redesigned INTERNALLY with all new components to eliminate all of the problems of the original MBA. The new revised MBA began shipping the first week of November 2008.

Using that model, BUT THAT IS ONLY ONE CYCLE, it was EIGHT months between revisions. So, the MBA is currently at 4.5 months or so. Apple could ignore the MBA for a long time as the current rev B MBA is absolutely AMAZING. It is a beautiful and extremely capable computer which is ultra portable.

However, the SL9600 Intel Core 2 Duo 17v 45 NM Penryn CPU is due out in April 2009. This is the "next" chip upgrade from the current SL9300 and SL9400 used in the rev B MBA 1.6 and 1.86 GHz models respectively. The SL9600 WAS projected to be a 2.13 GHz CPU last October... recently the Wikipedia site changed it to 2 GHz. Going from 1.86 GHz with a really nice 45 NM Penryn CPU with 6 MB L2 cache, that is a really REALLY REALLY minor update.

In addition, Apple has adopted some new technology in the unibody MB and MBPs that could show up in the next MBA. Apple has done away with the aluminum bezel and opted for glass display with black bezel. A lot of people think glass would add weight, and that could be true but doesn't mean the black bezel could not appear on the next MBA. Apple also has switched to glass trackpads that are buttonless in the MB and MBP.

Additionally, the new 17" MBP received a battery update which could be implemented in the next MBA to give it better battery life/performance. Quite a few MBA owners complain their MBAs only get 2.5 to 3 hours of battery life between charges. A new super density MBA battery could perform better, but would that happen if it adds weight to the MBA???

The RAM amounts Apple is using has changed, and many believe the next MBA could have 4 GB RAM. This is a completely plausible and most likely theory.

Finally, the MB and MBP now have a 256 GB SSD option, while the MBA still only has a 128 GB SSD option. The MBA uses a smaller 1.8" drive form though, and 256 GB SSD seems hard to come by in this size. Supposedly Apple had to wait for the 128 GB SSD to be "engineered" and made by Samsung before it could deliver the revised MBA. I wonder if this same issue will happen with the 256 GB or perhaps Apple already has a bigger one in order that could just change the BTO options for those who order a rev B MBA?

While Apple could give us a new MBA as early as April/May 2009, I think it is much more likely that it will be a longer wait. However, Apple is EXTREMELY UNPREDICTABLE... and the MBA is a high-end product that I think Apple is going to continually update like the MB and MBPs are updated twice annually, and have been for the last three years. So, one part of me says May 2009 is likely, another part of me confirms it could be eight months or the first week of July 2009 (this makes most sense to me as that is just perfect timing for SNOW LEOPARD), and finally the last part of me thinks that it will be more like September and the back to school season that the MBA will receive its update.

However, NONE of us truly knows the answer to this. You could buy a MBA this month, and next month the rev C MBA could be introduced. Also, you could hold off and it could be the end of the year before the revision C MBA is introduced.

I HOPE that it happens soon. I really want a silky smooth glass buttonless trackpad. I really want 4 GB RAM. I really NEED 256 GB SSD. At the same time, I don't know that I wouldn't just wait for Snow Leopard anyways if the MBA rev C was introduced today... the rev B is just so good... but I already own it, so I just don't know what to say to you.

Other than, life is too short. Buy the rev B MBA and be completely happy with it. Unless, you really feel you NEED a glass trackpad and 256 GB SSD options, as those are the two "guarantees" in the next revision C MBA in MY OPINION. But again with Apple, nothing is a guarantee.

DAMAC3

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Noblesville, IN
I was in my local Apple store last week talking to a "Genius," and he understood that the Glass trackpad mechanism is deeper or thicker than the older trackpad the MBA still uses and that it probably wouldn't fit in the current Air form factor. He was one of the better people I've spoken to there, so I took his word for it.

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
heck with a 2.0ghz and 4 gig ram, i'd buy one... as of now, even for a ultra portable, 1.6 and 1.8 with MAX 2gb ram is a rip off

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Is the current Macbook Air using the same Sata II as the Macbook and Macbook Pro? 3GBP/s.. ?

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Is the current Macbook Air using the same Sata II as the Macbook and Macbook Pro? 3GBP/s.. ?
The Air uses a different connector type SATA-LIF that is not pin-compatible with a standard SATA connector used in its larger cousins. It also uses a 1.8" drive vs. the 2.5" drives in the others.

Looking at system profiler, the speed is listed as 3 Gigabit (note: Gb is 1/8 of a GB)

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
I was in my local Apple store last week talking to a "Genius," and he understood that the Glass trackpad mechanism is deeper or thicker than the older trackpad the MBA still uses and that it probably wouldn't fit in the current Air form factor. He was one of the better people I've spoken to there, so I took his word for it.

There's really no need to quote 3 pages of the post immediately above yours just to add a small anecdote.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
Would like some opinions.. do you think a new one might be coming out with better specs?

thanks

um, yeh i definitely think so, unless Apple decides to shelve it. anytime soon? probably not. if you can't wait, buy Rev B. If you can wait then wait. I think Rev C will be the one to get. At least 4GB RAM, larger SSD etc.. oh yeah :D

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Like everyone, I am waiting to see what Rev C will be like. But, I may take a pass on it. Simply because Rev B MEETS MY NEEDS. I don't need alot of memory: I surf, email, do the occasional work task, rent movies. For that I can't really justify 4Gigs / 260SSD. (Would be sweet, though).

I did upgrade from Rev A, because there were some problems that have been corrected that directly affect my enjoyment of the MBA...

What I mean is: If Rev B meets your needs; get it.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
To be honest you don't even need to go top spec Rev.B
I'm using a 1.6/HDD Air and works great as my only, everyday computer. Yes, the SSD is amazing, but I couldn't justify the 25% increase in price for it, I generally leave my apps open so don't really need that fast access.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
I'm waiting for Nehalem. The big drops in raw clock speed seen in the Mac Pro are unlikely to happen on the relatively slower-clocked Air.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
There won't be a strictly Nehalem MacBook family; logic says they'll jump straight to Westmere and Arrandale in Q1 2010, with no real update until then.
Do we know if there will be a LV Arrandale in Q1 2010? Last year's roadmaps didn't show any through H1 2010.

Because of this I see a good chance of an update around midyear with updated LV Penryn CPUs.

I thought mobile Nehalem was due later this year.
Quad-core versions (Clarksfield), which likely won't be going in the MacBooks anyway.

Macintox

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
The most likely scenario for the MBair is a DROP IN PRICE ... SSD are now cheaper . Apple making tons of money on this, but as sooon as sales drop significantly we will see a 1.86 / 128 SSD at +- 1999 $ 1.6 at 1599 $ and they'd still make tons of money on it.

antonioanmar

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Albacete (Spain)
It is not clear that rev.C will come on this year. Remember that rev.B has only a few months.
So, i think that it is better to buy now a rev.B and enjoy it ¡¡¡¡ If you are always thinking if a new rev. of any computer will come, you will never buy ANY.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
It is not clear that rev.C will come on this year. Remember that rev.B has only a few months.
Few? Hmmm, it's actually six. Half a year. Mid-to-late in the product lifecycle.

Personally, I think we'll see an 'refresh' stopgap update in early June - processor and HD size options, possibly also price (don't bet on it though), but not built-in RAM upgrade or hardware/form factor/design evolution (glass trackpads, displays etc.) which will get held back for the 2010 Rev.D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.