PDA

View Full Version : upgrading a powerbook HD

Macsud
Mar 16, 2009, 12:37 PM
hi there im new on this boards,

Im seeking advises and help to upgrade my powerbook G4 wich is becoming kinda laggy on everything
it is a powerbook G4 15" 1,67ghz with 2 go of ram

Im considering changing the 5400 rpm HD for a SSD HD or a 7200 rmp HD.

SSD would be a transcend IDE MLC 64 GB
7200 rpm would be a toshiba from ebay (havent been able to find one anywhere else)

There s not a big difference in price, I can pay the extra buck for the SSD if that's worth it. Also im not really focused on the capacity since i can backup regularly so the 64 gb isnt really a problem to me

My questions and wonders are:

1/ Wich one would you recommend and why?
2/ Will I see a noticible difference between the 5400 and the 7200, between the 7200 and the ssd.
Thatt might sound stupid but i was thinking maybe its not worth putting a ssd in a powerbook because it will be limited anyway by the processor or the 2go of ram...

Thanks a lot to all who will take time to answer and help

Macsud

Macsud
Mar 17, 2009, 03:53 AM
anyone?:o

Jurwin
Mar 17, 2009, 11:46 AM
It's laggy because it's a frigging powerbook from the stoneages. The only way to speed up that slow turd is to put in a ssd.

emt1
Mar 17, 2009, 11:50 AM
Don't bother with updates... it's way too old to justify that cost. Save your money and get a new laptop.

Macsud
Mar 17, 2009, 12:42 PM
thanks for your input guys ,
more needed please, im still confused...

xoggyux
Mar 17, 2009, 12:51 PM
I agree with emt1 the laptop is too old to justify any money in upgrades however if you still feel you want to upgrade that machine go for the SSD option, however I would not choose trascend since i have not heard anything good about them
go for this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231220
($139 + free shipping)
I got the 128GB version of that drive and performs great (there are many of better quality out there but for the price, this is your option)

Macsud
Mar 17, 2009, 02:00 PM
I agree with emt1 the laptop is too old to justify any money in upgrades however if you still feel you want to upgrade that machine go for the SSD option, however I would not choose trascend since i have not heard anything good about them
go for this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231220
($139 + free shipping)
I got the 128GB version of that drive and performs great (there are many of better quality out there but for the price, this is your option)

the one you advise is a SATA, powerbook need IDE/PATA
Thanks for the input, i am considering saving and buying new now...