PDA

View Full Version : Fandango App Comes to iPhone

MacRumors
Mar 16, 2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/16/fandango-app-comes-to-iphone/)

Fandango (http://www.fandango.com), the popular movie ticketing site, has released a native iPhone and iPod touch application that allows user to search movie showings and purchase movie tickets on the go. Fandango [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307906541&mt=8), Free] also provides access to fan ratings, background information on films and theaters, and trailers.

Get movie and theater listings with the flick of your finger. Watch trailers. View fan ratings. All while the device’s core location feature finds the theaters closest to you and the movies playing at them. And when you’re ready to buy, it’s as simple as, well, 1-2 with our super-quick purchasing that secures your tickets fast and drama-free. Want more? Add favorite theaters for faster searching, securely save your credit card information for expedited purchasing, discover theater amenities and more.

Fandango has long provided an iPhone-customized web application for accessing movie ticketing information, but the new native application provides a significant enhancement in features.

Article Link: Fandango App Comes to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/16/fandango-app-comes-to-iphone/)

macrockbuddy
Mar 16, 2009, 04:03 PM
how do u get ur tickets 1ce u buy thru the iphone app

GeeYouEye
Mar 16, 2009, 04:57 PM
So... how DO you get the tickets? Does the iPhone display a barcode they can scan?

This would be a lot more useful if the iPhone could print...

macfan881
Mar 16, 2009, 05:22 PM
So... how DO you get the tickets? Does the iPhone display a barcode they can scan?

the theater i used to work at had either took a paper that had a specail number on it that or we would use the credit Card and scan it and it has some sorta thing tied into the card when it scans. either way i recomend fandango the only draw back is the 2.00 fee atleast thats what it was when i last used fandango.

Enuratique
Mar 16, 2009, 05:43 PM
I wonder how this will affect Flixster... I use that app a lot and it provides links to Fandango's website to purchase actual tickets but is useful for info on DVDs about to be released.

rhett7660
Mar 16, 2009, 05:52 PM
Sweet..... Best of all it is free!

mdwsta4
Mar 16, 2009, 06:01 PM
This app is 'meh'. Both the 'in theatres' and 'coming soon' options which pop up by default list nothing but movies that have yet to be released!! I do, however, like the favorites tab, and overall while simple it is easy to use.

Seeing as I don't purchase tickets via fandango, I see no reason to use this app vs Now Playing which is what I currently use. Especially since that app also includes a more detailed rating system, properly sorted releases, and DVD releases. But hey, Fandango's free too, so why not

Menge
Mar 16, 2009, 06:34 PM
US theaters only? :\

Now Playing has international theaters (particularly Brazil). So I'll keep using that for now :)

spaceballl
Mar 16, 2009, 07:10 PM
Is this better than Flixster? I'll switch if it's better... I could just try it and see... but... i'm lazy...

edwinaoki
Mar 16, 2009, 07:44 PM
This app is 'meh'. Both the 'in theatres' and 'coming soon' options which pop up by default list nothing but movies that have yet to be released!! I do, however, like the favorites tab, and overall while simple it is easy to use.

Coincidentally, the Moviefone app (**************/nD8a) just hit the store as well (also free). It's also US focused, and I'm biased, working for the company that makes it, but give it a go and let us know what you think. There's a feedback button in the app that goes straight to the development team.

mkrishnan
Mar 16, 2009, 07:45 PM
Now that we've gotten that out of the way....

If someone actually uses this app to buy a ticket, I'd love to hear feedback. Flixster seems to crash some people's iPhones, so some competition to that is good. OTOH, at many theaters,

On the other hand, I'm not that big on opening night movies, and I'm also among those loathe to pay even more for movie tickets....

michael.lauden
Mar 16, 2009, 07:54 PM
yeah i'll deff wait until i hear more about this.

i'm fine with going to the movies the old fashioned way and paying there for my tickets.

plus i don't wanna goto some place that can't verify my purchase. that'd suck

twoodcc
Mar 16, 2009, 08:26 PM
nice. i've always liked fandango.com, but i currently use the app "Movies" by flixster. we'll see which one is better

Randman
Mar 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
I too was using Flixter nee Movies but dropped it for Fandago after testing both for a few days.

PoitNarf
Mar 16, 2009, 11:43 PM

All the theaters around me have ATMs (automatic ticket machines). I use these all the time to grab tickets without waiting in line or to retrieve tickets purchased through Fandango. Just swipe your credit card through and it prints all the tickets you purchased with that card.

vvebsta
Mar 17, 2009, 01:59 AM
awesome! i've been wanting a fandango app... this made my day!

Dagless
Mar 17, 2009, 09:23 AM
Unless it has Grim before it I'm not too fussed.

dfa4
Mar 17, 2009, 10:24 AM
The app looks nice, but I think the Fandango web app at http://www.fandango.com/iphone seemed a bit faster than this native app, although it appears to be offline at the time of writing this post.

Tybee
Mar 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
Anybody else using Showtimes? I've been very happy with that app, so I'd be interested to see how it compares to Fandango.

plumbingandtech
Mar 17, 2009, 11:25 AM
A well done app IMO.

definitely worth a download and a check out.

Tybee
Mar 18, 2009, 12:10 AM
Unless it has Grim before it I'm not too fussed.

I hear that. *low five*

iphones4evry1
Mar 18, 2009, 02:03 AM
All the theaters around me have ATMs (automatic ticket machines). I use these all the time to grab tickets without waiting in line or to retrieve tickets purchased through Fandango. Just swipe your credit card through and it prints all the tickets you purchased with that card.

I used it earlier today and it works just like the internet website Fandango. Just like the Fandango internet website, it displays a numerical code and you go to that same "ATM machine" that you are talking about, enter the code, and your tickets print right out. When a new release movie comes out and there are a hundred people in line and they keep selling out, having reserved your tickets before leaving home is priceless.

SuperKat
Mar 18, 2009, 07:36 AM
Picked up the app yesterday. I like the "favorites" so I can check out the theaters I go to in different counties.
Haven't bought tix w/ it yet though, and I'm a little scared about putting my credit card info in because it'll be available if I lose the phone. Although I lock my iPhone, there's a slim chance someone will pick it up prior to it locking out. Anyway, that security issue seems to be the only minus in the reviews.

DEVILMAYCRY99
May 6, 2009, 07:21 AM
how do u get ur tickets 1ce u buy thru the iphone app