Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flybriz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Hello friends,

I do professional voicing for IVR and telephone systems. While I've been using Macs exclusively for years, I am still hanging by a thread in the Windows world due to a surprising lack of a feature in every audio editor I've researched/used. I read a script of phrases, sometimes several pages worth, and then save the individual audio segments as individual files. For example, I might speak the numbers 1 through 100, pausing just a second in between, the "cut" that one recording up into a hundred individual wave files for the telephone system to use. Adobe Audition (PC) makes this easy in one of two ways. First, I can simply drag-highlight each audio segment and hit a function key to create a marker. After I'm done creating all markers, Audition will batch export all my markers into separate files. The second method involves a drag-highlight of a segment, right-clicking and choosing "save selection". I have Logic Pro, Audacity, and Peak LE, and so far none of these programs offer a convenient way to cut up an audio file quickly. Can anyone suggest a Mac editor that would do this? Thanks very much for your input!

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I'm sure there is a better program to do this in, but i know ProTools really well. and in that case, i would make all the edits, than highlight all of them and "export region definitions as files."

and it will do so in non-real time.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Amadeus Pro will do both of these things easily (although to save selection it is a menu option rather than right clicking).

flybriz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Suggestions

Thanks all - I appreciate the suggestions. I'm a recent convert from ProTools to Logic Studio. Still loosing just a bit of sleep over that decision but the built-in instruments and effect plugins for Logic are fantastic so far.

I completely forgot about Amadeus Pro. I picked that one up in a MacUpdate promo a while back and do recall the save selection feature. I will give it another try but not having it in the top menu bar instead of a keyboard shortcut or right-click slowed down my workflow a bit too much.

I have an old version of Toast and I just checked out Spin Doctor. It crashed after I brought in a recording so it might be time for an upgrade.

Thanks again and I appreciate any more ideas!

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
why don't they made adobe audition for mac?

it's the only program we use on my music tech course that requires everyone to boot up into windows for, and means i can't bring my work home for that module.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.