PDA

View Full Version : Apple Acquires Prismo Graphics

arn
Jun 20, 2002, 06:49 PM
Apple continues its shopping spree and acquired Prismo Graphics (http://www.prismo.com/) and their INDIA special effects titler and motion graphics product lines.

India 1.0 is described in this MacWorld review (http://www.macworld.com/2002/02/reviews/indiatitler.html):

The program can animate text in every imaginable way--letters can bounce, slide, spray, or wiggle into place. There are also animated textures that make great backgrounds, fades and zooms that you can apply to text or graphics, and numerous glitter effects that wash across text. Some of the effects belong in late-night used-car commercials, but others are downright beautiful and wouldn't be out of place on a network news show. You can customize each effect, and India Titler Pro even has a simple scripting language, called EffectScript, for creating new effects.

They also provided a selection of "professional motion graphics for all broadcast and digital video projects." according to their old webpage.

MacAztec
Jun 20, 2002, 06:52 PM
Its not actual hardware...its just software right?

Wonder why they would want that...

King Cobra
Jun 20, 2002, 06:57 PM
Looks promising.

However, I noticed that in the picture the interface was IN CLASSIC MODE :eek: Does this mean no OS X version will be available, as the article doesn't say?

I wonder how long it will take to load 27 CD-ROMs. Man alive, here is a time, where those 27GB blue laser disks may come in handy. :cool:

jelloshotsrule
Jun 20, 2002, 07:02 PM
wow, looks like a cool app on many levels. not just cause it shows apple's dedication to graphics/animation/compositing. but cause it looks dang cool on its own as well.

also, i'm sure it will be ported to os x asap. unless it will be reinvented in another type of app...

still waiting to see how apple will use all these companies/products. to make new, more expansive apps, or to just put out the current ones for mac. can't wait to see what happens.

arn
Jun 20, 2002, 07:02 PM
I find it very interesting that Apple continues to acquire these graphics products. Each acquision builds more intrigue. Apple must have a grand plan... and doesn't just have a lot of money to burn.

It's remarkable.... I personally am not very familiar with the digital video/effects market... but from my understanding these acquisisions are pretty significant companys/products in the video world. Apple will soon be the only one left standing... and I don't doubt they can create a viable product - but in many ways, the Windows platform will certainly fail in this niche.... due to lack of products.

arn

iN8
Jun 20, 2002, 07:08 PM
but in many ways, the Windows platform will certainly fail in this niche.... due to lack of products.

I think that right there is the master plan.

sweetaction
Jun 20, 2002, 07:50 PM
Jobs is up to something for sure. Tell Pixar they need Apple gear. Tell Apple they need to provide what Pixar needs.

Make it powerful, popular and bring it to market in a time where the major Hollywood companies are facing stronger competition with underground or just smaller movie companies. Then you've got a niche that demands the best.

I started a web development company so I could fund the other things I want to do and work the schedule I want. Finding the right allies and buying out other small companies it getting me closer to the success I want.

Jobs is a great example of just bucking up and going for it. Stick to the plan. Take some risks and never back down. Never admit a failure, jsut learn from it, adjust and use that "failure" as contrast to make your latest successes even greater.

Aahhaha. I sound like I know what I am talking about!

aaron

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Jun 20, 2002, 07:57 PM
What I don't understand is that Apple's buying all these companies and programs but their staff is selling their own stock?

arn
Jun 20, 2002, 08:20 PM
Looks like Primso pulled their webpage. It stated on their front page that Apple had acquired them.

Hmm... wonder if it was put up too early?

arn

rice_web
Jun 20, 2002, 08:23 PM
Whoa! I just had a thought....

Those executives that sold their stock wouldn't have had any knowledge of slow sales would they have? Just recently Apple announced slower sales, and the stock tanked 15% in a couple of hours.

Maybe their is some insider trading going on at Apple... unless I just know nothing about the stock market.

j763
Jun 20, 2002, 09:31 PM
i'm not too worried about execs selling stock... we only hear about it when not much is happening in the tech world, and cnet needs a story. the execs work hard for the company, they have to pull some of their money out sometime... the stock falling and falling is not healthy, but i don't think it's related to these acquisitions.

748s
Jun 20, 2002, 10:44 PM
the titler in fcp is basic.
there is also a basic 3d titler plugin from boris in fcp 3. india titler pro is what fcp needs.
executives who are payed in stock get a window in which they can legally sell the stock they own. it's something like a 2 week period.
same time every year. no conspiracies happening there.

firewire2001
Jun 20, 2002, 11:08 PM
Looks like Primso pulled their webpage. It stated on their front page that Apple had acquired them.

you can look at their old site at www.archive.org... just type in http://www.prismo.com/ ...

they have several interesting things on their site -- and it looks like they do quite a few things...

i think apple might be releasing something like an ultimate FCP -- like Silicon Grail had a lotta stufferz that would beef up FCP, like prismo could do the same.

Ballresin
Jun 21, 2002, 02:26 AM
Do you smell that?

*Looks around*....*sniff* *sniff*...

AH! That's the smell of innovation in the air.

Apple did it... (Or will).

dantec
Jun 21, 2002, 05:33 AM
It seems right to me. Part of their master plan.

You watch this summer: Powermac G4, DDR-Ram, superdrive accross the line. The low end will have a GeForce 4 Ti, and the highend will have a suped up apple card.

This would be the perfect editing machine, with FCP, lots of 3d modelling apps etc...

Since the 3d modelling core has been centered mainly on Unix and on Windows. Apple has decided to step into that market.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have an Apple graphics card powered at the core by dual G4's for example?

Or maybe we'll just have an annoucement that Apple just bought out nVidia.

iGav
Jun 21, 2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by arn
I find it very interesting that Apple continues to acquire these graphics products. Each acquision builds more intrigue. Apple must have a grand plan... and doesn't just have a lot of money to burn.

It's remarkable.... I personally am not very familiar with the digital video/effects market... but from my understanding these acquisisions are pretty significant companys/products in the video world. Apple will soon be the only one left standing... and I don't doubt they can create a viable product - but in many ways, the Windows platform will certainly fail in this niche.... due to lack of products.

arn

Judging from the review of the product, the super simple interface and the less than thrilling specs for Pro users..... this sounds more like the possibility of been an iApp........ rather than anything for Pro use....... or maybe they're looking at incorporating this into iMovie or at a push FCP....... (although most pro users will use AE for titling)

Some of the effects sound right at home in iMove like 'Clay' where human hands quickly sculpt letters out of clay...... this does not sound like a high end post package....... these kind of preset effects live more happily in the consumer market than the Pro market where creativity really is the key to creating something original and striking.... not some generic effect that can be obtained in a click of a button.......

With Apple recently purchasing Hi-End post and compositing packages Shake and Rayz..... it makes perfect sense to me that they look at programs for the consumer people aswell... particularly when we consider the big push Apple has made with the iApps and the whole digital hub idea........

gopher
Jun 21, 2002, 07:52 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

drastik
Jun 21, 2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by dantec
?
Or maybe we'll just have an annoucement that Apple just bought out nVidia.

Could you imagine Apple buying nVidia? Integrating the tech fully and then rebranding as Apple, then forcing PC users who want great cards to buy an apple product. That kind of hardware isn't really Apple's in-road, but I think it would be hilarious.:D

synergy
Jun 21, 2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by drastik

Could you imagine Apple buying nVidia? Integrating the tech fully and then rebranding as Apple, then forcing PC users who want great cards to buy an apple product. That kind of hardware isn't really Apple's in-road, but I think it would be hilarious.:D

Apple has the cash to buy out Nvidia at their current marketprices.

You know who would really ***** a brick? Microsoft. Since Nvidia provides the graphics portion to their Xbox. OMG that would be so hilarious. Microsoft would then have to rely on Apple for the Xbox video component. Thats also not something they can change off the bat less they want to screw a few million early buyers of the Xbox. Would be a classic move. Would make us Apple lovers laugh for some time over it too. :D :D :D :D

gopher
Jun 21, 2002, 08:39 AM
Imagine, it started with Northing Real.

Now hopefully it will end with Real.

Vijay
Jun 21, 2002, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sweetaction
[B]Jobs is up to something for sure. Tell Pixar they need Apple gear. Tell Apple they need to provide what Pixar needs.

Apple boutiques: check
Apple enters the movie market: check?
What's next? A record label, obviously. Does anyone know if Badfinger is still together? Maybe they need a label.

Vijay R.

drastik
Jun 21, 2002, 09:48 AM
Lets be Real, or maybe just buy them.

Okay, big picture wise, Apple has enough dough stashed away to buy Real, nVidia, hell, most of the nich specific guys out there. Now, that being said, Apple didn't put all of that money in the bank buy going nuts with the buys. Its not their style. Something big is comming, and I think its going to be super high level video and film production. It seems like everthing is going towards that.

With the new Hardware around, ie Xserve and possible new case design (about due), new iMac, eMac, etc., we've had a lot going on this year.

What do y'all think about a dedicated workstation for editing and production? Like a good ProTools set up or Avid Symphony, et al. If apple really wants to make a play for the big dogs in editing, they almost have to make a work station. Though I think FCp is a god send, and for my purposes it is, it can't do it all and its still self config. Apple needs to offer a packaged staion, they come and set it up, bring enerything you need, etc.

My vision is a 2u Xserve with quad processors and one hell of a video card, clusterable via airport so your TiBook can join the fun.

Of course, I see a lot of things. ;)

Watch out Digidesign, your next!:D :D

rlandrigan
Jun 21, 2002, 10:25 AM
REAL titling???? If any of yall are FCP users, you know what a royal pain in th a$$ it is to do titling in FCP.....this sounds like angels singing from on high from where i stand:) I just hope they can intergrate it quickly

testnull
Jun 21, 2002, 10:41 AM
I got it! Apple's been buying up these media/dv companies right and left so they can change the EULA to prevent SpyMac from making any more fake PDA movies. It's all part of the plan... :D

iGav
Jun 21, 2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by rlandrigan
REAL titling???? If any of yall are FCP users, you know what a royal pain in th a$$ it is to do titling in FCP.....this sounds like angels singing from on high from where i stand:) I just hope they can intergrate it quickly

But I wouldn't do titles in FCP....... full stop........ and judging by the description of India..... I wouldn't want to use that either....... :p

I'm kind of on the wavelength of what drastik is saying about Apple releasing an ultra high end workstation...... this is what apple needs.....

The thing is though..... alot of people moan like ***** about Apples current prices...... about them being too expensive...... so what they going to do if this puppy comes out??

synergy
Jun 21, 2002, 11:30 AM

My vision is a 2u Xserve with quad processors and one hell of a video card, clusterable via airport so your TiBook can join the fun.

I've heard rumors before that there is a 512MB video card in the works from Nvidia and Apple will be getting that exclusively for their machines only.

Just a rumor though.:)

drastik
Jun 21, 2002, 11:45 AM
Wow, 512!!!!!:D That would be amazing, while were at it, how about dual ADC and component video out? I'll have nice dreams tonight.;)

Price is an issue, but I think it might be all right. A work station would be seriously Pro Stuff, its a whole different level. Some of those Avid systems run north of 100K, and thats before wirring and racks and everything else. Go to an Avid board and utter FCp and see the response you get.:D

If the product is good enough, people will pay. Its a small market, but a lucrative one, and Steve does love Hollywood. Maybe he and Clinton should do a talk show together:D

iGav
Jun 21, 2002, 01:20 PM
Wow, 512!!!!!:D That would be amazing, while were at it, how about dual ADC and component video out? I'll have nice dreams tonight.;)

Price is an issue, but I think it might be all right. A work station would be seriously Pro Stuff, its a whole different level. Some of those Avid systems run north of 100K, and thats before wirring and racks and everything else. Go to an Avid board and utter FCp and see the response you get.:D

If the product is good enough, people will pay. Its a small market, but a lucrative one, and Steve does love Hollywood. Maybe he and Clinton should do a talk show together:D

Avid and Media 100 people just love FCP...... :p

I totally agree with what you're saying about a top machine..... if it really is worthy of the price, and has the correct hardware/ software solution, has the power and can do a job that no other machine can do... then the thing will sell like hot cakes to film and post houses........

If they nail this correctly and provide the pro users with a spec that is unrivalled then Apple will take over this industry...... or if they don't.... the fallout will be spectacular........

I don't reckon they'll fail......... ;)

crassusad44
Jun 22, 2002, 04:31 AM
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to Final Cut Pro 4!!!!!