Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gurugrrrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
I'm just making the switch to Macs after working on them all through college with video editing. My money is burning a hole in my pocket and my birthday is next week. I'm going to wait till then to go buy my powerbook. Lets say I do buy it, and buy AppleCare to go with it. Now, lets say they release the G5 by the end of the year beginning of next year and I decide to cut my loss, sell the G4 on EBay and get the G5. Can I transfer my AppleCare to that computer? Also, could you just wait till your year is almost up before you go buy AppleCare for the product? What would be the pros/cons if so..

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
As far as I know, AppleCare is only transferable ownership-wise, not product-wise. However, you have up to one year from date of purchase to get it, so if you think there's the possibility of selling your newly purchased Mac by end of year if something better comes out, then just hold off buying AppleCare and get it for the newer machine. You've got 1 year warranty on anything you buy now anyway.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
applecare is product specific. that's why there are different prices for different product lines. so you can't transfer from a PB to a PM, for example. (or from G4 PB to G5 PB, as in your example)

having applecare may increase the resale value, though.

you have a year to register your product for applecare, but the coverage will last to three years from the date of purchase of the machine being covered, not when you register. so in terms of coverage, there's no advantage to waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.