Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAMAC3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Noblesville, IN
Mods feel free to delete if this is inappropriate.

I have a revB Macbook Air Pre-production model that I am not sure what I want to do with. I had a thread about it in the MBA Air section. I bought this from an individual, and upon trying to register it with Apple I was told that they couldn't register it because it was a pre-production unit. It was manufactured in August of 2008 according to the serial number and the Ripley search tool used by Apple. It was inspected by a Genius at my local Apple store, and I have been on the phone with Apple customer care a couple times.

Being a pre-production model, Apple won't register it and therefore won't offer Apple Care. It functions quite well, has no signs of the dreaded revB screen lines, and is a nice computer.

I don't need this unit as I decided to purchase a brand new MBA revB with SSD. This pre-production unit is a 1.86/120. I don't know if there is interest in it as a collector's item since it is a pre-production model or not. I plan to either sell it or try to have Apple swap it for a regular revB unit as I have heard of them doing that with pre-production models.

I am not really trying to solicit a sale here. I was just hoping for advice on the interest people might have in this unit a collector's item or just another MBA. Thanks!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I used to be a hardware engineer.

Pre-productions aren't really worth much more.

Prototypes are the cool ones.

Pre-pro's are just the company testing out the manufacturing lines before production goes live...

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Mods feel free to delete if this is inappropriate.

I have a revB Macbook Air Pre-production model that I am not sure what I want to do with. I had a thread about it in the MBA Air section. I bought this from an individual, and upon trying to register it with Apple I was told that they couldn't register it because it was a pre-production unit. It was manufactured in August of 2008 according to the serial number and the Ripley search tool used by Apple. It was inspected by a Genius at my local Apple store, and I have been on the phone with Apple customer care a couple times.

Being a pre-production model, Apple won't register it and therefore won't offer Apple Care. It functions quite well, has no signs of the dreaded revB screen lines, and is a nice computer.

I don't need this unit as I decided to purchase a brand new MBA revB with SSD. This pre-production unit is a 1.86/120. I don't know if there is interest in it as a collector's item since it is a pre-production model or not. I plan to either sell it or try to have Apple swap it for a regular revB unit as I have heard of them doing that with pre-production models.

I am not really trying to solicit a sale here. I was just hoping for advice on the interest people might have in this unit a collector's item or just another MBA. Thanks!

Il take it for free if you want to give it to me. Il pay for shipping. (pretty plz with sugar on top?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.