PDA

View Full Version : Apple is 'too expensive' says Michael Dell

Dahl
Apr 7, 2004, 09:15 PM
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8382

Dippo
Apr 7, 2004, 09:19 PM
Insana: What about the resurgence of Apple (AAPL)? Steve Jobs says he sells the Mercedes of the computer business while you sell the Taurus.

Dell: If you go look at where jet engines are designed, for example, you might be curious to note that more than half are designed on Dell computers. What Apple has done is build the Bang & Olufsen of the computer industry ? very nice products, but they've priced themselves out of the mainstream market.

I could care less what Micheal Dells says.
I think he is just jealous that he can't make "cool" computers.

wdlove
Apr 7, 2004, 09:45 PM
I could care less what Micheal Dells says.
I think he is just jealous that he can't make "cool" computers.

I couldn't say it any better myself. Dell wishes he was in Steve Job's shoes.

sonyrules
Apr 7, 2004, 11:37 PM
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8382

I think the main reason he might be jelouse is because Apple enjoys much higher profit than any computer he has, And that Apple still sells them. and remains very profitable.

AngryLawnGnome
Apr 7, 2004, 11:39 PM
I agree, but Michael Dell is still garbage.

voicegy
Apr 8, 2004, 12:09 AM
Who cares what that jerk off says. While I've often used the Bang & Olufsen comparison myself, (being an owner for many happy years,) that's a little unfair as far as pricing goes. B&O is WAY up there compared to what one can buy to enjoy music and television at home from a hundred other companies. (f'er instance, B&O's Plasma television, with remote controlled motorized swivel base, is an incredible $19,500.)

The comparison is valid when it comes to the things that I care about most, as millions of Apple customers and my fellow MacRumors.com members do:

1. Ease of use.
2. Joy of use. (that "intangible" thing that draws those blessed with such insight)
3. Beauty, powered off as well as on.
4. Flawless integration.

All apt descriptors of the B&O and Apple "experience." I didn't pay an extraordinary amount of money for my Mac(s). I paid a little more - to GET a little more. He just doesn't "get it."

Again, who cares. Moron. :mad:

Koodauw
Apr 8, 2004, 01:00 AM
The comparison is valid when it comes to the things that I care about most, as millions of Apple customers and my fellow MacRumors.com members do:

1. Ease of use.
2. Joy of use. (that "intangible" thing that draws those blessed with such insight)
3. Beauty, powered off as well as on.
4. Flawless integration.

These are all great points. I think it sums up why I use a mac perfectly. Although some people might argue that becuase Price is their most important feature, as they would not be able to afford a computer otherwise.

Just out of curiosity any one here us Macintosh Audio equipment?

edesignuk
Apr 8, 2004, 01:20 AM
http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_repost.gif http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=66908

Krizoitz
Apr 8, 2004, 01:42 AM
http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/smilie_repost.gif http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=66908

Dang it you beat me too it. One less post to add to my count...oh wait...i did this post....:D

thatwendigo
Apr 8, 2004, 01:59 AM
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
--Ken Olson, president, chairman, and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you. ' And they said, 'No. ' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet."'
--Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."
--The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. '
--Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

DavidFDM
Apr 8, 2004, 08:54 AM
Its funny that Michael Dell doesn't acknowledge some of the reasons why Macs are more expensive than PCs.

1. Apple designs, builds and maintains the operating system. Dell doesn't.
2. World-class apps like iMovie and iDVD cost a few bucks to produce. Does Dell create high-quality software?
3. Tech support in the U.S. actually based in the U.S. No offense India but sometimes I have a hard time understanding the accent.
4. Real R&D, birthing things like QuickTime and FireWire.
5. Quality components, especially screens. Dell is shipping monitors with .27 dot pitches, making for a soft image on screen.

I could go on but what's the point. Dell is very good at keeping zero inventory, adjusting product features as component availability changes but they are not really a technology company. They are assemblers. When Dell puts all the real value in their computers that Apple does then they can start throwing comments about price.

I think we as Mac users really have it pretty good compared to the Wintel folks. Unfortunately points like system security, viruses, regular system maintenance updates, included apps all get lost on most people as they fixate on price and mega/gigahertz. All we can do is help family and friends make informed decisions about what they are going to buy.

- David

Sparky's
Apr 8, 2004, 09:02 AM
OK so would you rather have a machine that was beatiful, well engineered, worked flawlessly, and cost a little more (B&O) or a 2 bit piece of c**p that was only good for a door stop (Dell).

Besides:
And, despite the fact that Apple boasts significant market share in the creative markets, according to Dell: "If you go look at where jet engines are designed you might be curious to note that more than half are designed on Dell computers."

That's why I don't fly anymore :eek:

rainman::|:|
Apr 8, 2004, 10:36 AM
Wait a minute... Doesn't Apple sell more computers than Dell? By nice margin IIRC... Not much room for criticism.

paul

supatekmedia88
Apr 8, 2004, 10:47 AM
Michael Dell is another Wal-Mart of this world.

Dell really has nothing to do with computers, they
only sell their plastic cases with other manufacturers' parts.

With this comment, Dell wants to portray himself as the utilitarian,
putting function before fashion......and Apple as a bourgeois show-off.

Both Jobs and Dell want the same thing, but one doesn't want to have to think too hard or take chances.

It could be the difference between a used car salesmen and Henry Ford.

wordmunger
Apr 8, 2004, 10:57 AM
Wait a minute... Doesn't Apple sell more computers than Dell? By nice margin IIRC... Not much room for criticism.

paul

Uhhh... No. You might be thinking of Gateway. Last I checked, Dell is #2 to HP.

Backtothemac
Apr 8, 2004, 11:11 AM
Well, I could care less what Michael Dell thinks about anything, but, he is right. Apple has priced themselves out of the mainstream. It is a problem, and they could do better for themselves as a company if they would make a $499.00 headless Mac.

rt_brained
Apr 8, 2004, 11:43 AM
For the record...You all mean "COULDN'T care less", right?

whocares
Apr 8, 2004, 11:59 AM
(...) and so you've got the opportunity to connect to these things much more easily and share the content and the data around the home (...)

*cough* Rip-off *cough*

Dippo
Apr 8, 2004, 12:08 PM
*cough* Rip-off *cough*

Rip-off. :eek: No it can't be! No one ever rips off Apple. :rolleyes:

etoiles
Apr 8, 2004, 12:29 PM
we have a lot of Dell's here at work (3D design)... one word: JUNK ! :mad:

Sparky's
Apr 8, 2004, 12:41 PM
I can see that this whole PeeCee vs Apple thing is not going to go away, kinda like the Hatfields and McCoys (I know even though the court says so, it's not over yet), but what I do see is a correlation to a Clint Eastwood movie "Any which way but Loose" in which the motorcycle gang is represented by the pc side with Gates being the leader and Apple being represented by Clint, with minor support from the ape. For those familiar with the movie I think that sums up my feelings on it. The gang keeps trying to get Eastwood but like the Keystone Cops of old they just keep falling all over themselves, and screwing up.