Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desiringGod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
My wife has a previous generation MBP. I am about to get a Alum MB (fits in my price range and my main editing will be using transfering AVCHD files), but I do have some files from our old family camera to transfer via firewire. Do either of these solutions work?

1st solution
It is not the perfect solution, but could one hook their camera up to this device as though they were playing it on a tv, capture the video on to an external HD, and then use that data on their firewireless Alum MB?

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...ideo/Studio+Family/Instant+Video+Recorder.htm

2nd solution
Can I use my wife's MBP to capture video from our Firewire 400 camera to an external harddrive and then transfer that to my Alum MB that I am about to get soon?

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
My wife has a previous generation MBP. I am about to get a Alum MB (fits in my price range and my main editing will be using transfering AVCHD files), but I do have some files from our old family camera to transfer via firewire. Do either of these solutions work?

1st solution
It is not the perfect solution, but could one hook their camera up to this device as though they were playing it on a tv, capture the video on to an external HD, and then use that data on their firewireless Alum MB?

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...ideo/Studio+Family/Instant+Video+Recorder.htm

2nd solution
Can I use my wife's MBP to capture video from our Firewire 400 camera to an external harddrive and then transfer that to my Alum MB that I am about to get soon?

As BigBoss said, option 2 should work fine (are you planning on using iMovie, Final Cut, or some other application to do the transfer?). Option 1 has been discussed on MR before (right after the FW to USB cables were shown to be nonexistent) and the consensus seemed to be that it works, but there will be lots of headaches. Is the FW capture more of a one time thing (since it is an old camera) or will it be an ongoing requirement? Why invest in a solution (especially one that is not a smooth one) to be used once when you do have another Mac with Firewire that can do the initial capture and then hand the files off to the other Mac?

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Definitely option 2.

Can't your wife have the shiny new Alu Macbook and you have her older one with Firewire?

desiringGod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Definitely option 2.

Can't your wife have the shiny new Alu Macbook and you have her older one with Firewire?

The MB is going to be the travel computer - the one that I carry to work so I can work on some web and video at lunch and take with me on business trips.

She prefers the bigger screen and I prefer the portability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.