Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AreYouAMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
So this kinda irratates me.

I have the 2.2 blacbook, 4gb ram, 320gb hdd.

Now when I first bought my macbook, I did not use Illustrator or Photoshop CS3 (for both).

Now 1.5 years in, I am using Illustrator and I noticed that when I am working on both (either at the same time, or with one program closed) I sometime get the message in Illustrator "Not enough memory" or "Not enough ram" or when I am saving an image for web and devices "an unknown error has occurred"

BUT if I use Illustrator and Photoshop CS3 (for both) on Vista via bootcamp none of these errors occur.

I just don't want to imaging what will happen when I use CS4.

Is this due to the way Leopard is setup?

I am also looking to upgrade...So do you guys think the new macbook or macbook pros would be better? I mean, my current macbook is holding up well...but I just hate these errors. I prefer to work in Leopard than Vista.

Hoping to buy both an iMac and Macbook or a Macbook Pro when Snow Leopard comes out.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Unless there is a problem with your logic board or your RAM (which is unlikely, since it works fine in Windows), then this is unlikely to be a hardware problem. That class of Macbook certainly supports 4GB of RAM, as does Leopard. I think getting an upgrade because of this is probably the wrong thing to do.

There are a few important things you have not answered:

1. Is your computer slowing down significantly when you're getting these messages, or is it just an error message?
2. Do you reboot your computer frequently? Or has it been running (and sleeping/hibernating) for months?
3. What kind of images/documents are you working on? Are they huge files that are likely to tax that system?

AreYouAMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
It hasn't slowed down that much. I do keep a lot of data (probably about 25b gigs worth.)

I turn off my computer about everyday.

The files that I do work on are less than 200kb. They are just simple vectors that I drew up.

I can never open up .jpg images in illustrator either.

I do however, keep all of my data in a separate partition. I set up 3 partitions (Leopard, Data, Vista). Is this possibly the reason why?

If anything I thought that this kind of set up would increase the speed of Leopard since only programs are the only thing on the Leopard partition.

No programs are running when I boot up the computer. Out of 50 gigs on the Leopard partition, 20 gigs is used. And that is for only for Leopard and its programs.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There is nothing about your setup that would slow down your system.

After 1.5 years it might be time to do a fresh install to eliminate all the accumulated debris that can slow your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.